Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #181
KrakenChaos
KrakenChaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes.
You missed reading the instructions in the "Install" spoiler of the first post.

Hint: What firmware version are you using?

- - - -

Whoot! 5959, a nice, well-formed, number.
I did read the instruction, but it is not very clear to me. I just jailbreak my kindle so that I can install some custom fonts; so, I am not very familiar with jailbreaking on kindle.

My kindle has firmware version 5.4.3.2.

I put the fonts into linkfonts/fonts folder and run Update fontconfig cache. The kindle or the framework did restart, but I don't see the new fonts when I open the font selection dialog box.
KrakenChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #182
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@KrakenChaos: Then you did fail to read the first post properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
First of all, an important notice for FW >= 5.4.x users: you will not see your custom fonts in the Aa menu on this device. Currently, the only way to actually use your custom fonts is thus to use the font overrides feature.
Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR FW >= 5.4.x USERS: I repeat, currently, the only way to actually use your custom fonts on your device is to use the Font Overrides feature. If this is still a bit muddy for you, check the first part of this post for a barebones version of the best procedure to follow on these new devices/firmware versions.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #183
KrakenChaos

Quote:
@KrakenChaos: Then you did fail to read the first post properly.
So sad... I guess I will stuck with default fonts then.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #184
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@KrakenChaos: You have a couple of workarounds available.

The easiest one probably being embedding fonts in KF8/AZW3 conversions via Calibre.

The other being reading the first post of this thread carefully, and weighing the pros and cons and your confidence in being able to do it without soft-bricking the device.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #185
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Please take note of the recommendation to have a ssh terminal session up and working while playing with the fonts.

That means: Install the USBnetworking package and get it working (first).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #186
KrakenChaos

Thanks for the help and comments gentlemen! I think I will stick with default fonts, I don't want to tinker too much with the system files. I recently bought this kindle PW2 and don't want to accidentally brick it!
Old 06-02-2014, 04:55 AM   #187
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrakenChaos View Post
Thanks for the help and comments gentlemen! I think I will stick with default fonts, I don't want to tinker too much with the system files. I recently bought this kindle PW2 and don't want to accidentally brick it!
No guts, no glory (or bragging rights).

Also, no:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg topshotfoot.jpg (15.9 KB, 2394 views)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:00 AM   #188
Stunatra
Enthusiast
Stunatra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrakenChaos View Post
Don't blame you. They've recently updated my PW1 software and now I assume it's just like the PW2 and the simple fonts hack no longer works. AZw3 with embedded fonts is how I roll from now on.
Stunatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #189
mattysadler
mattysadler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (K5) (KPW2)
I have a kindle paperwhite 2 I have done everything the post told me to do. The problem I have is I had installed a custom font and used it for the sans font. this worked fine so I used some other fonts for the rest of the font overrides. This made it so that I would be able unlock my device using my passcode. Then the only thing I could do is go into the menu and the settings and use it otherwise my kindle would freeze and would only do anything (restart) if I kept clicking on the menu button. I then got rid of the fonts that I had installed together (last) This caused my device to go into an endless boot cycle which i cannot get out of as it cannot connect to my computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
mattysadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:54 PM   #190
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@mattysadler: There are very explicit warnings against overriding sans in the docs. The short version is usually: don't. .

See the first page for the usual walkthrough in recovering from a font induced boot loop, which will be pretty hard if you don't have USBNetwork and/or the rescue Pack installed.

The nuclear solution might also come in handy.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #191
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Not working on Kindle Touch 5.3.7.1

Update Your Kindle grayed out!!!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #192
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@DrPrince: It should, you're probably doing something wrong (like using the pw2 install file, for instance).

Spoiler: skimping on reading this thread carefully *will* lead to bad things.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-19-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #193
DrPrince
Nameless Being

Quote:
@DrPrince: It should, you're probably doing something wrong (like using the pw2 install file, for instance).

Spoiler: skimping on reading this thread carefully *will* lead to bad things.
I read every word and putting the correct file.... I installed many hack tools... Do something affect that?!
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #194
DrPrince
Nameless Being

It is working after unintalling Duokan ☺

Last edited by DrPrince; 06-20-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #195
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yup, Duokan is evil.

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch