Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
robertallenstein
robertallenstein began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I am having the same problem with my nook color connecting to my Linksys router. It keep giving the message "searching for router IP" and then ends with "unsuccessfull".
How do I change the router settings to correct this?
robertallenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #17
cmanbrazil
cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

This is just a finicky device. If you do a search on the issue there is a site where people are posting their specific routers that work well. I have a very nice netgear 3000 router that connected but then would quickly lose connection. I found an older netgear wgt624 router that works perfectly. You can tell when your pandora app will play consistently.

The real issue is knowing that there will be many places you will go that this device won't work. It sucks, but the nook is so nice I may have to swallow that one. I hope they can fix this issue with a software update, although 1.1 doesn't do it.
cmanbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #18
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
No issues yet to speak of.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #19
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I have a Linksys WTR160N. When I first rooted, I had no problems but in the last several weeks it has tended to lose the connection. Just as others a toggle off/on reconnects but it wouldn't stay connected. Reading some of the posts here, I did two things and it has stayed connected all day today. The two things are 1) (this hint came from Scion) get the Spare parts app and set "WiFi Sleep Policy" to "Never" & 2) getting the SoftLocker app and enabling it. Softlocker prevents the NC from going to sleep but you can still turn the screen off as usual.

I plan to try each one independently to see how that works but haven't gotten to that yet. I may get lazy and just leave it since it seems to be working OK now.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
fishman27
fishman27 began at the beginning.

wireless connection

I have been trying to connect to my wireless connection for the past month, but when I do the divice still doesn't connect. After getting nowhere with the help line, I asked the rep at B&N and she told me to call and ask my internet service provider.
fishman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #21
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman27 View Post
I have been trying to connect to my wireless connection for the past month, but when I do the divice still doesn't connect. After getting nowhere with the help line, I asked the rep at B&N and she told me to call and ask my internet service provider.
Don't bother. They won't be able to help. Better minds than the standard ISP "techs" reading off instructions from a 1 page sheet have tried to resolve the issue without success. It's an Android thing. my HTC Evo 4G has the same issue connecting to my Linksys WRT54GS unless I set a static IP. Of course, you cannot set the nook color to static...
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
rvn68
rvn68 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
New NC, No Connectivity

Received my Nook Color today. Charged it up and then started the connection process for registration, etc.

I had it three feet from my Linksys WRT54GL. The NC recognized it, along with a Netgear (maybe a neighbor?). The Linksys icon on the NC showed it was locked.

I put in the password and the NC said "invalid password". I attempted it a number of times with the same result.

So I called B&N tech support and got "Peggy". He was totally useless and didn't seem to understand the initiation process of a new NC. A waste of time.

So then I went into my router and changed the password. When I put in the new password, NC still didn't recognize it. Should I temporarily disable the Linksys password and try it then?

I live in a very rural area NE of Syracuse, NY. The closest B&N book store is 45 miles from here. I plan on going there to see if I can hook on.

Failing that, I'm not sure what else I can do. I think I saw a post on this thread (?) where a person had a similar problem and the store told him the NC was defective and gave him a new one. Are the B&N stores capable of doing this or even evaluating a NC connection problem?

Cheers!

Bob

UPDATE: I couldn't delete my router password to test the Nook again, so I did a live chat with Cisco tech. Chalk this up to my WiFi newbie status: I was putting the router access password into the Nook, rather than the security key. As soon as I did that, the Nook hooked into my router and it's fully operational now. I need to attend a "Router 101" course!

Last edited by rvn68; 03-25-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: problem resolved
rvn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
gfarthin
gfarthin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet
With some of the latest routers you need to add the device (Nook) MAC address to the router. The Nook MAC address can be found under device info - about Nook.
gfarthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
I have the same issue with my Linksys WRT54GS running the latest DD-WRT. I checked all the settings and they seem to be ok. 4 laptops at home work fine. The HTC EVO, another android device has the same issue, but can be resolved by using static IP which cannot be done on the nook color.

I might just go ahead buy a new router. The WRT54GS has served me for over 8 years so I'm a little sad to see it go. I named it Oscar and pet it from time to time.
I'd try a different build of DD-WRT first. I used a Buffalo WHR-54GS for years like you (probably about 8...I only updated DD-WRT once last year when WPA2+AES mysteriously stopped working).

Once in a while the Nook on CM7 nightlies needed wi-fi to be toggled on and off when it woke from sleep...but I haven't seen that in ages - and it was fixed eventually with a newer version of CM7. Never had a problem like that on stock-rooted 1.01 & DD-WRT.

DD-WRT has turned into a fragmented mess of sorts - there's a lot of different forks of it and not all of them are stable - I'd do a google hunt for a better build of it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
The problem is not with the Nook, it's with your routers! I run the IT department where I work. We're on a tight budget, so we use the cheapie consumer model routers. I've tried all brands and so far the worst have been Linksys. They all work great when new. After a couple years, I have to keep cycling the power to get devices to connect to them. After replacing the router, it works great for another couple of years. The same thing happens with my home routers.

I talked with many people at Linksys as well as other places and nobody can tell me what is happening to the routers. I've had the best luck so far with NetGear routers.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote