Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Question about Twitter

This might be a dumb question, but can someone explain Twitter to me a little? I mean, I get the concept but I am not sure what to do with it. I want to 'follow' Dropbox on Twitter so I can get the extra space credit for it, but what does it mean to 'follow' someone? Is it like Facebook where I would go to the webpage every day and see a sort of feed of the people I 'follow' or something? I don't really plan to post on Twitter or anything. I pretty much just want the Dropbox credit. But is there actually anything I could gain by 'following' Dropbox, or anyone else for that matter? I already 'follow' a bunch of similar types of things on Facebook so I am not sure how following, say, Jillian Michaels or Kobo or Dropbox on Twitter would be different than following them on Twitter. I am prepared to sign up just to get the Dropbox credit and then never go there again, but I am wondering if there is anything I could actually enjoy about this beyond that.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
You get around 3 lines to type something clever.

About it really. That and you can follow other people whose quotes you plan on stealing.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
I personally found Twitter a bit overwhelming to keep up with. "Following" someone just means adding yourself to their list, and you can then do as much or as little as you're inclined to about it.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya Ficbot.

You have a 140-character limit on any message you post. So all messages can be read at a glance. When you go to your own Twitter home page, you will see posts only from those you have chosen to follow.

I find it very handy. I follow a lot of publishers and authors, so my own home page (which I open every day) might run to a couple of pages. But it's very, very quick to speed-read down to those posts that catch your interest. And because there are avatars, you can easily home in on your favourites. Twitter occupies me for no more than five or ten minutes a day, but it's productive.

Also, of course, if you find that someone you've chosen to follow becomes a bore (who wants to know what you're cooking for dinner or what TV show you're looking forward to?), you simply 'unfollow' them at the click of a mouse.

Unlike Facebook, there is no personal message facility (that can be a drag at times), no videos or pictures to distract you and waste your time -- merely tinyurl links you can follow if you choose -- and no ramblings.

Give it a whirl. Nothing to lose, and if you follow the right folks, quite a lot of fascinating stuff to gain. You can follow me, for instance (neilmarr as here). I only post about once a week but it's all reading-writing associated and it might interest you. If not -- click ... unfollow.

Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #5
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
Just a personal observation but...Twitter is a major time-suck.
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Depends how you use it, Sandra. It takes little of my time, but it does produce interesting contact and information at times. Oh, yeah ... it also helps me sell a few books and promote new authors and their titles (all within 140 characters). Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote