Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Digital store for horror fans

http://www.horror-mall.com/Digital-E...p-1-c-370.html

Lots of books, and they are sent directly to your kindle like amazon does (need to add their email to our kindles approved emails) or you can dl the pdf form if you like.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
deety
book geek
deety began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
It seems very odd that they'll email it to your Kindle but not allow you to download the book in a Kindle-friendly format and load it yourself.
deety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just the way they do it i guess.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
deety
book geek

I got curious and took a look at their digital download FAQ, and it sounds like they're really paranoid about piracy.

Quote:
There are 3 levels of security our system provides: 1) When downloaded, IPs are logged and links are only valid for 72 hours. 2) Files are only accessible using a customer's unique DAK (digital access key). 3) Files are encrypted with sensitive data about the customer's order #, IP and order date and tracking parameters are included so Horror Mall gets notification when and from where each time a file is opened. Furthermore, Horror Mall can terminate a customer's log in to their files and even remotely shred a file if found illegally sharing or distributing.
The FAQ also includes the amusing advice that customers should make a printed back up of digital editions.

It's great that they're trying to offer e-books, and I appreciate their desire to protect their material. But their policies seem a bit too extreme for me, which is sad because I've had a big problem finding tolerable horror novels these days.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

they sent both an azw and a mobi version to my kindle. I had no prob moving them to my comp and putting them on calibre and even modifying the meta data. Im not sure what extreme measures your referring to.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM   #6
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by deety View Post
I got curious and took a look at their digital download FAQ, and it sounds like they're really paranoid about piracy.

The FAQ also includes the amusing advice that customers should make a printed back up of digital editions.

It's great that they're trying to offer e-books, and I appreciate their desire to protect their material. But their policies seem a bit too extreme for me, which is sad because I've had a big problem finding tolerable horror novels these days.
How could they possibly track it? especially since they put it out on pdf. They have no way of tracking on sony since sonys are never connected to the net. Even with kindle, most people dont leave them logged on all the time.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by deety View Post
It seems very odd that they'll email it to your Kindle but not allow you to download the book in a Kindle-friendly format and load it yourself.
That's not odd, but plain dumb.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for the resource
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
deety
book geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Im not sure what extreme measures your referring to.
I could be reading this wrong, and it sounds as if this only applies to PDFs, but the "digital access key" thing (mentioned in a different part of the Terms of Service than I quoted) is pretty ridiculous. The FAQ says something about needing to "log in" to your purchased file once a year from the computer you downloaded it on, and you can only view it on three different computers - the FAQ claims that the PDF won't unlock on a fourth.

I assume that you can contact customer service to reset that when necessary, but it would get really tedious to keep having to contact them to reauthorize more copies over the years. It seems like overkill to make customers jump through hoops for their purchased content - especially if the company can already track the source of illegal copies in ways that won't inconvenience honest buyers.

I wouldn't be buying PDFs, so I guess that wouldn't affect me directly. But it's hard to get into the idea of doing business with anyone who thinks that "you can only open one of our formats on three different computers" is a good idea. Is that a common thing among e-book stores?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:55 AM   #10
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Well they could go the amazon or sony way, and make it only available to one specific device. At least with this place, they are letting you get what ever version you would like. I dont think, at least for awhile, your going to find totaly non drm'd stuff in at least some version. Also this site is a very small publisher, dealing specifically with horror books, so they dont have the resources major places do, and they have to try some way that both them and the authors get paid so that they can both stay in business.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:52 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All I can say is that the scariest part of this site is they way they run it.

The problem is that they people have no idea what they are doing. What they are doing is losing sales left and right. They will not allow me to purchase any of their eBooks in a format that I can use or convert to be usable. I will not pay for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #12
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Becaues you choose not to pay for pdf does not mean that they dont put out a format you can use. They just dont put out a format that you choose to use. Big difference.

They put out books in both paper form, kindle form, and pdf. There not being a format that you prefer, doesnt mean they dont know what they are doing. And you have no idea if they are losing sales left and right.

Last edited by Dragoro; 03-17-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
horrormall
horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.horrormall has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hello. My name is Shane Staley and I'm owner and proprietor of Horror Mall. I was directed to this thread, so I thought I'd answer some questions here. Horror Mall is a sole proprietorship which just started to get into digital distribution. I run a Bram Stoker Award winning specialty press called Delirium Books as well.

Our customer base is frequented by book collectors, and HM is by far the biggest specialty store for limited edition horror books. We've just introduced digital editions in the past few months.

As for concerns placed here about our policy being 'dumb' and other comments, all I have to say about this is that HM just started getting into this market and I plan on adding different content and formats. This is new and it will be evolving.

The problem with DRM discussion here seems to be one-sided, and I understand some perspective as readers and consumers and I agree it's much easier to allow free distribution of digital goods. But from a publisher's perspective, do you guys actually know how many authors are comfortable having their work put out there in a non-DRM format. I'll tell you: not many. And it's new to most authors working in the horror genre.

I've published Brian Lumley, Brian Keene, Ramsey Campbell, Douglas Clegg, Jack Ketchum and many more of the bigger names in the genre. Out of the majority, I'd have to say we're talking about 10% of them are totally cool with just throwing their work out there without some kind of protection.

The digital access key is only for PDFs and you do not have to ever re-registered your file again. If you read the FAQs, you'd note that it stated you only had to log in to the file with a user name and password once every 365 days.

As for losing sales left and right, please understand that digital downloads are a very small fraction of the business done here.

But it'll grow and we'll evolve.
horrormall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Shane, this is a good place to learn. We love to answer questions.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrormall View Post
Hello. My name is Shane Staley and I'm owner and proprietor of Horror Mall. I was directed to this thread, so I thought I'd answer some questions here. Horror Mall is a sole proprietorship which just started to get into digital distribution. I run a Bram Stoker Award winning specialty press called Delirium Books as well.

As for concerns placed here about our policy being 'dumb' and other comments, all I have to say about this is that HM just started getting into this market and I plan on adding different content and formats. This is new and it will be evolving.

The digital access key is only for PDFs and you do not have to ever re-registered your file again. If you read the FAQs, you'd note that it stated you only had to log in to the file with a user name and password once every 365 days.

As for losing sales left and right, please understand that digital downloads are a very small fraction of the business done here.

But it'll grow and we'll evolve.
Welcome to MobileRead, Shane, and good for you for coming here and stating your side.

Looking forward to downloading some books.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
darkside digital