Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-08-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Duke9700
Duke9700 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy Note Pro 12.2/Galaxy S20
Unhandled Exception

I've started getting the Error: Unhandled exception dialog box when opening Calibre in the last few days. I am not aware of any specific changes that should/would have affected it but I am no longer able to get the program to run.

When it first started I was on 2.36. I went ahead and installed 2.37.1 over it hoping that would clear up any issues but the errors remain.

Sadly, the Error: Unhandled exception always says (Not Responding) so I never actually get additional details or the stack trace. I have also tried running from the command line with --ignore-plugins but that didn't help either.

Anyone have any other thoughts? Most of the threads about this type of error are old so it doesn't seem to be anything universal. My next step will probably be a clean install.

EDIT: I just did a clean install (uninstalled then deleted any Calibre folders in AppData) and I still get the same error. Probably a sign that the problem is elsewhere (looking at you Microsoft). Any suggestions for next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Duke9700; 09-08-2015 at 07:23 AM. Reason: New details
Duke9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Run it in debug mode from a command prompt

calibre-debug -g
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:56 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
EDIT: ...beaten by Kovid.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 07:58 AM   #4
Duke9700
Duke9700 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy Note Pro 12.2/Galaxy S20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Run it in debug mode from a command prompt

calibre-debug -g
Thanks Kovid. I can't thank you enough for calibre!

I posted the debug info below. It looks like Windows Error 0xE000020B seems to point to a bad driver? Not sure if that's the most important clue or if the key is: QObject::setParent: Cannot set parent, new parent is in a different thread

calibre 2.37.1 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
WindowsError: [Error -536870389] Windows Error 0xE000020B
Started up in 3.56 seconds with 1 books
calibre 2.37.1 [64bit] isfrozen: True is64bit: True
Windows-8-6.2.9200 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '8', '6.2.9200')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('8', '6.2.9200', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')

QObject::setParent: Cannot set parent, new parent is in a different thread
Duke9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's almost certainly the windowserror, unfortunately, I have no idea what it means. My usual cure for these kinds of windows errors is a clean re-install of windows.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Duke9700 - try System File Check

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:14 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Video drivers up to date?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote