Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
iPad Mini as an ereader

I caved and bought the Mini. I just love my new Mini as an ereader. It's easy enough to hold with one hand. And I'm curious to see who else uses the Mini as an ereader.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #2
Traderdell
Traderdell began at the beginning.

Device: None
Good to know! I'm trying a Fire HD and it is very good as a reader but the rest of the experience is a fail. Can you tell me if books on the Kindle app have the same look/form as they do on a iPad 2? Not sure why I didn't just get the mini to begin with.
Traderdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I use mine as one. Really, really like it. The Kindle app is great on it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Traderdell

Thank you. I'll be sending the Fire back and ordering the mini.

One reason I went with the fire is the Amazon case, it's a good combination that and I've been unable to find a comparable case for the mini.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderdell View Post
Thank you. I'll be sending the Fire back and ordering the mini.

One reason I went with the fire is the Amazon case, it's a good combination that and I've been unable to find a comparable case for the mini.
It's still a little early. More and more cases will continue popping up in the next few months. A lot of case makers got burned this time around because they made their cases match the specifications of leaked information that turned out to be false.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderdell View Post
Good to know! I'm trying a Fire HD and it is very good as a reader but the rest of the experience is a fail. Can you tell me if books on the Kindle app have the same look/form as they do on a iPad 2? Not sure why I didn't just get the mini to begin with.
The Kindle for iPad doesn't have X-Ray or the Share features, but otherwise it is the best looking of the Kindle apps.

Totally agree that my Fire HD is a great reader but a terrible tablet otherwise. I just took it on a Thanksgiving trip to see family. I took it solely because of its small size. I read on the airplanes and watched videos at night. It worked, but not that well. Android really blows chunks IMO. In retrospect I should have taken my iPad 3 instead! Apps just work so much better on the iPads.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I have read ebooks on mine, but I usually grab my Kindle Keyboard when I'm going to read a book.

I do a ton of online reading on the mini though: news and sports articles, forums, magazines, comic strips, emails, book reviews, etc. The 4:3 ratio and 8" screen is great for this sort of reading, much more screen real estate than the 7" tablets.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Casey57
Connoisseur
Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Casey57 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3/Kindle Fire/Kindle Touch/iPhone/iPod/iPad
I have not made the jump yet. I took my Mini on vacation two weeks ago and it was great for checking e-mail and basic browsing, etc. And the lighter weight was a big help! However, I still ended up taking my Kindle for regular reading - books, blogs, newspapers. I really can't see myself giving that up at this point. I do not like reaing magazines on a table or e-reader (except for PC Magazine and Readers' Digest). I much prefer the hard copy. I've tried and had high hopes, but it just did not work for me.
Casey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
Traderdell

Thank you all for the feedback. I'm one of the minority that prefers reading on a tablet to an ereader. I have a Kindle Touch and love the footprint and weight but enjoy the backlit screen.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #10
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
A question for mini owners: how is reading PDFs on the 8" screen? Do you find you have to zoom and swipe a lot, or can you read the text as is?

Input from those who own both a mini and a regular-size iPad is especially appreciated.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
A question for mini owners: how is reading PDFs on the 8" screen? Do you find you have to zoom and swipe a lot, or can you read the text as is?

Input from those who own both a mini and a regular-size iPad is especially appreciated.
Reading PDFs is pretty good on my iPad3. The need for zooming is totally dependent on the type of PDF of course. A PDF with small text or multi-column tables will often require zooming, but zooming on an iPad is really straight forward and easy.

Having said that, I still find PDFs on any tablet or computer monitor a royal PITA. Adobe developed PDF a quarter of a century ago to make secure print documents portable and digital. Beyond that, PDFs were never meant for reading on a computer, just for printing out. Publishers need to find a better platform to use than the antiquated PDF format.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Let me introduce you to the two laws of PDFs:

1. PDFs suck.
2. PDFs suck more the smaller the screen you try to read them on.

Get the full sized iPad if you want to read PDFs.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM   #13
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
I've had the Mini for a couple weeks and have read close to 5,500 pages of books using it. I have used ibooks, kindle app and the sony app. Best ereader I've ever had.
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #14
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I'm in complete agreement with you both about the awfulness of PDFs. It's just a shame that so many magazines refuse to offer a mobile version that isn't just a scan of the print edition.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I was thinking about an iPad Mini as a comics reader before it was announced - but then they announced it without a retina display, so I said "nope, nope, nope". Can't imagine that you'd be able to read full-size comics comfortably on one. I figure they lowballed it this time in order to make a substantive upgrade next time, figuring people would buy it anyway.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote