Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Getting Metadata into RTF Files

I first raised the issue of getting Metadata into RTF files about 12 months ago without getting a satisfactory answer. I now know lot more about Calibre than I did then. so I am having another try to get the issued resolved.

I have attached a zip containing the following files pairs + the opf file

Code:
1 Olivier Blanchard.rtf
1 ZCapture.JPG

2 SAVE Five Lessons for Economists on the Financial Crisis From Olivier Blanchard - David Wessel.rtf
2 ZCapture.JPG

3 CONVR2R Five Lessons for Economists on the Finan - David Wessel.rtf
3 ZCapture.JPG

4 Five Lessons for Economists on the Finan - David Wessel.epub
4 ZCapture.JPG

5 CONVE2R Five Lessons for Economists on the Finan - David Wessel.rtf
5 ZCapture.JPG

metadata.opf
Its probably only necessary to look at the images, they show the rtf documents in Word, overlayed with Word's Properties (metadata) dialogue box .
  1. the original rtf, note the values of Title and Author Properties are News Clip and Charlie Brown. This is the file I added to Calibre, I then updated its Metadata to show the title Five Lessons for Economists on the Financial Crisis From Olivier Blanchard and author David Wessel, as well as a publisher, publication date and some tags.
  2. the file I got when I Saved to Disk the original file with its new title and author and other metadata. Note the document formatting is faithful to the original, but the Title and Author haven't changed, they're still News Clip and Charlie Brown, but the Publisher (WSJ) has been put into Manager and the Tags (Central Banking, EZCrisis, GFC, IMF, Moneytary Economics[sic]) have been put into Category (I'd prefer them to be in Keywords)
  3. the file I got when I did an RTF to RTF conversion. Note that the document is not faithful to the original because its lost much of its formatting, and that whilst Title and Author Properties are 'correct', the Publisher and Tags have not been put into Manager and Category.
  4. the EPUB converted from the original RTF, along with a jpeg showing its Metadata and the document in the Calibre Reader. Its format is faithful to the original and all its metadata is as I would expect to see it.
  5. the file I got when I did an EPUB to RTF conversion. Note that the document is not faithful to the original because its lost much of its formatting, but its NOT an exact replica of 3, on this occasion the top lines have retained their centering. Again the Title and Author Properties are 'correct', but the Publisher and Tags have not been put into Manager and Category.
What I'd like to have is — an RTF file in the book folder with the formatting as in 1 & 2 (i.e. faithful to the original), and the metadata as in 1 & 2 (Publisher & Tags) plus 3 & 4 (Title and Author) plus Comments (if possible). Preferably without awkward solutions like converting RTF to RTF and deleting the resultant ORIGINAL_RTF, or Saving to Disk, copying that file back into the book and deleting it from where I didn't really want it to be anyway.

I checked to see if I could get Comments transferred into the RTF Properties, no luck, but in doing so I did get sensible values into Title & Category & Manager; not sure how, but the format was wrecked as in 3 & 5, by then I was getting bored/tired/confused - And the Author contained :

Code:
<span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: 20px; background-color: rgb(203, 191, 59); "><div class="calibre1" style="display: block; -webkit-margin-before: 0px; "><div class="s1" style="display: block; padding-left: 0
Don't ask me to explain how that happened, but there's no way I would have cut and pasted that HTML chunk from wherever it was into the Word document Properties Author text box where I found it.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: zip Desktop.zip (834.0 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-14-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: to put the zip back and remove Polish glitch
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote