Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Does Kindle offer most flexible ebook buying?

I'm still looking to buy my first eReader. I was initially put off the Kindle by the limited format choices but, as I've learned more about eReaders and eBooks, it seems to me that perhaps Amazon would actually offer me the largest choice of eBooks (and eBook prices). Here's my reasoning and I'd appreciate if everyone could let me know if there are flaws in my thinking.

1. I've visited a lot of eBook source sites and it seems like most (all except Amazon?) sources of eBooks allow you to download them to your PC, one way or another. There are also tools out there so that most (all?) of these eBooks can be converted to unprotected .prc, which I believe you can use on the Kindle. I can therefore get an eBook from any of these sites, convert it to unprotected .prc, and e-mail it to a Kindle (I think e-mail is the only way to transfer a book to the Kindle, but please let me know if there is an easier way).

2. In addition, with a Kindle, all of Amazon's eBooks are available. I don't see any way of buying these unless you have a Kindle (or am I wrong here?).

So with a Kindle I have all of Amazon's eBooks + all the others. With a different eReader, I only have all the others (assuming the other eReader offers a format that I can convert eBooks to fairly easily).
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Amazon is also going to offer the abiility to read Kindle books on your PC..........

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...28630_13490320

You can transfer books from your computer to your Kindle using the USB cord provided.........easiest and always free.

Amazon offers a great 30 day money back offer, (you pay return shipping only), allowing your time to play with it, download books, and see if its the device for you.

Right now, the K1 is being sold, refurbished, with the full one year warranty for $149, free two day shipping, no tax. (US)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_3_...sprefix=Kindle

The DX for $399

The K2 for $219
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
You can load DRM-free MOBI (PRC) ebooks onto a Kindle via USB. So, if you strip DRM and use Calibre (say) to convert to MOBI, any ebook store can provide ebooks for a Kindle,

Currently, Amazon's Kindle ebook store is only available if you own a Kindle or an iPhone (or iPod Touch). However, Amazon is about to introduce Kindle Reading software for Windows PCs. We don't know for sure yet, but most likely this will mean that you will be able to strip the DRM from Kindle AZW ebooks (not all Kindle ebooks are AZW, but most are) bought for a Windows PC to produce DRM-free MOBIs that can in turn be used on any ebook Reader (perhaps after conversion via Calibre).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, I think for now, it'll be the nook that will be the most flexible due to it's support of ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should consider the fact that Amazon are now pretty much the ONLY manufacturer not to support the industry-standard ePub book standard. Yes, you CAN convert ePub books to Mobipocket format, for use on the Kindle, but why bother when you can simply buy a device which supports ePub in the first place? Consider, too, that Mobi book creation tools are basically at a dead end, while there is a burgeoning in new ePub creation tools.

I would urge you to get an ePub-supporting device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert