Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Absinthe

As some of you may know, I've been working on an original card game. It's a storytelling game, i.e. as you play cards, you have to make them fit into the ongoing story. There are, however, some rules about what happens, some of which change based on the text on each card.

In this game, there is a kind of card called a Heart. Hearts are extremely useful, and can be used for a wide variety of purposes, from healing oneself or a friend, to temporarily becoming more powerful for the purposes of playing other cards.

There are various "Foe" cards in the game. (I'm going somewhere with this, really... I'd say "trust me," but actually now would be a good time to stop reading this thread.) Foes are usually somewhat monstrous or at least menacing. One thing Hearts can be used for is to convince a Foe to switch sides. Sometimes when this happens, the Foe becomes an ally. Sometimes there are other interesting effects as well.

The current edition of the game that I'm working on is set in sort of a Victorian era, with lots of gaslight atmosphere. One of the Foe cards is called "Absinthe," as in "Absinthe the Green Fairy." While we were playing today, one of my playtesters suggested that as a side effect, if you manage to convince Absinthe to switch sides, there should be a side-effect doubling the power of any Hearts played during one selected later turn. And I had to agree, because, as he was quick to point out...

(If you have any common sense, DO NOT click on the spoiler button, leave now and preserve your sanity)

Spoiler:
"Absinthe makes the Hearts grow stronger."
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Well, there went my fond belief that I had any common sense...

GROAN!!!!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Argggh! Me too. But I thought it was fonder... And it didn't make sense, so I had to check...
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none

We badly need a "falling over dead" smiley for things like this!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Personally, I love it! Priceless!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Argggh! Me too. But I thought it was fonder... And it didn't make sense, so I had to check...
Yes, that's the original. This is a slight modification that makes more sense, given the context.

Now I'm thinking a t-shirt is in order....
Old 08-16-2009, 04:45 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I obviously have no common sense, I did not leave and am now insane ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Now I'm thinking a t-shirt is in order....
i have to agree. (that is really one of the most epic puns i've seen in quite a while. and given the continued efforts of sparrow in that department that's saying a lot. )
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

For tshirt purposes, would "Absinthe makes the hearts go wander" be better?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For tshirt purposes, would "Absinthe makes the hearts go wander" be better?
i suppose it depends on how "inside" you want the joke to be. both are good, though.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Well, I was at one time thinking of selling tshirts to go with my card game. (In fact, current plans for the card game are to be able to play it for free, online.) So in that case, the original pun would be best....
Old 08-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Well, I was at one time thinking of selling tshirts to go with my card game. (In fact, current plans for the card game are to be able to play it for free, online.) So in that case, the original pun would be best....
yes, in that case, i think use the original one.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I obviously have no common sense, I did not leave and am now insane ....
only *now* you are insane? Hmm... (now questioning your self-assessment skills....)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #14
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Reminds me of Gibson Games' Sherlock Holmes - The Card Game. It was much simpler though...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
yes, in that case, i think use the original one.
Perhaps the Green Fairy could be holding a hand of cards (face out?), while leaning against a glass of absinthe.