Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2022, 06:29 AM   #1
1eduard
Connoisseur
1eduard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil or Scribus?

I'm writing a book but I get confused which one I should use:

Sigil or Scribus (as a text editor I use Libre Office (Linux)?
Old 10-10-2022, 07:39 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Definitely do not recommend writing in Sigil... although it is technically possible. There are other software suites out there designed to organize and otherwise help an author keep focused on writing.

L.O. will work just fine. Just make sure you setup your styles...and here is the important part.... USE THEM consistently! (there are a few good threads here on MR that can point out how to use styles properly)

Then you can import the resulting html file into Sigil to do your final cleanup and ePubify it....

Cheers!
Advert
Old 10-10-2022, 08:15 AM   #3
1eduard
Connoisseur

Thanks!

However your reply doesn't answer my question (Sigil or Scribus)?

P.s. Can I also make a physical book with Sigil?
Old 10-10-2022, 08:33 AM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty sure the first couple of words answered your question:
"Definitely do not recommend writing in Sigil..."

I also said you could use one of those authoring suites (such as Scribus)... if you wanted to take advantage of special organization for authors type features...

and then concluded that L. O. (the text editor you are currently using) would be just fine to use...just make sure you setup AND USE the styles....after you are done writing the book in LO, then you can import it into Sigil for final cleanup and making it into an ePub.

If you have a different question, please elucidate.

No, you cannot, directly, make a physical book with Sigil. Sigil makes ePubs. You could technically take the ePub made by Sigil and convert it into some printable format...but I would just use your LO source document (with the correctly used styles) to print to PDF or somesuch.

Last edited by Turtle91; 10-10-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 08:39 AM   #5
1eduard
Connoisseur

Ok, thanks!

So, to write my book I use L. O., polish it with Scribus and finally import it into Sigil?

Last edited by 1eduard; 10-10-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Advert
Old 10-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

No.

Write the book
You can choose which software you wish to use to WRITE your book. If you are comfortable using LO, then continue using it. (Just setup AND USE styles properly) (see how important that is...it'll save you tons of cleanup work later on). IF you want to spend the time, and $$, learning how to use Scribus, you could use that instead of LO.

Make an ePub for electronic use
Once you are done writing your book, import it into Sigil. Use Sigil to cleanup the html and CSS coding to make a great ePub.

Printed Book
If you also want to print the book on paper, then take your original LO document and use the software of your choice (I don't have a preference) to put it in a printable format (recommend using one that the printer accepts) and send that file to the printer's.

Last edited by Turtle91; 10-10-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Keep in mind that writing a book often requires rewriting and revision. You will want to do that in your original word processing format and re-convert to EPUB and PDF from there. Otherwise you will need to make each edit multiple times and run the risk of your e-book and print book having divergent content.
Old 10-10-2022, 09:51 AM   #8
1eduard
Connoisseur

Sigil versus Libre Office?

So, until my book is perfect I stay in Libre Office (and Scribus)?
Old 10-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #9
1eduard
Connoisseur

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
No.

Write the book
You can choose which software you wish to use to WRITE your book. If you are comfortable using LO, then continue using it. (Just setup AND USE styles properly) (see how important that is...it'll save you tons of cleanup work later on). IF you want to spend the time, and $$, learning how to use Scribus, you could use that instead of LO.

Make an ePub for electronic use
Once you are done writing your book, import it into Sigil. Use Sigil to cleanup the html and CSS coding to make a great ePub.

Printed Book
If you also want to print the book on paper, then take your original LO document and use the software of your choice (I don't have a preference) to put it in a printable format (recommend using one that the printer accepts) and send that file to the printer's.

Many thanks!
Old 10-10-2022, 10:13 AM   #10
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Scribus is dead, so don't use it for anything.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:19 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Scribus is dead, so don't use it for anything.
Moderator Notice
Don't give your opinions as orders around here. Help or keep quiet. Any further unhelpful and bossy demands such as this will be deleted.
Old 10-10-2022, 10:28 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eduard View Post
So, until my book is perfect I stay in Libre Office (and Scribus)?
May I ask, why the preoccupation with Scribus? As someone else mentioned, Scribus is...well, let's call it poorly-supported/abandoned/dead.

Are you...what's your understanding of what Scribus DOES?

Hitch
Old 10-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1eduard View Post
Ok, thanks!

So, to write my book I use L. O., polish it with Scribus and finally import it into Sigil?
No. Scribus is not going to work for making an eBook. L.O. is what you want to use for going to ePub. But you have to use styles and you have to know HTML/CSS in order to do any code cleaning/fixing that you'll need to do.
Old 10-10-2022, 11:27 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No. Scribus is not going to work for making an eBook.
Why not? Do you mean it won't create an ebook that meets your standards, or are you saying Scribus is incapable of creating an ebook? if the later... fine, but if the former, make that plain, and describe why you don't think the software will work well for creating an ebook.

Moderator Notice
Please do not use these forums to try and force your preferences upon others. Help them with reasoned posts about why you think one approach might be better then others so they can decide for themselves.

"Because I think it's garbage" is not a helpful post.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2022 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-10-2022, 01:34 PM   #15
1eduard
Connoisseur

Sigil?

I think at this moment:

I'll write my book in Dutch (because I live in The Netherlands).
First I produce a physical book! (there aren't that many e-reader here as in the U.S.A.)

Depending it sells well I've to decide my book will be translated and if so shall I use Sigil?
Closed Thread