Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
Mobipocket books on Kindle

I have searched the forums, but am missing it. Apologies if it is so obvious.

Kindle can read non DRM Mobipocket books. When I go to the Mobi site, how do I know which ones are non-DRM ?

Many thanks,

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Hal View Post
I have searched the forums, but am missing it. Apologies if it is so obvious.

Kindle can read non DRM Mobipocket books. When I go to the Mobi site, how do I know which ones are non-DRM ?
I've never bought a book from the Mobipocket site itself, but Fictionwise clearly indicates which of their books are in Mobipocket-with-DRM and which are not.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I don't think the Mobipocket site shows if it has DRM. It's probably best to go to a site like www.fictionwise.com They categorize books as "Secure Format" (DRM) or "Multiformat" so you can see which can be read on the Kindle.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that all the books sold at MobiPocket have DRM.

Never buy at MobiPocket, though. They are a "wholesaler" for all the other Mobi retailers, and so they sell at full price (to avoid undercutting their customers). Books are almost always cheaper at Mobi retailers such as Fictionwise, BooksOnBoard, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Any ebook you pay for at mobipocket.com has DRM.

In fact, with very few exceptions, MOBI ebooks you pay for at all sites have DRM. The exceptions are usually "multi-format" (buy once, download as many formats as you want). Multi-format ebooks never have DRM, because every DRM provider charges per format. Two major multi-format sites are FictionWise and webscription.net which is primarily for Baen Books.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 AM   #6
cowgirl73
cowgirl73 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I have found the customer support for the Kindle lacking a bit. The other day I did find a new website called Kindlehelpdesk.com which actually has a lot of the information about the kindle consolidated. I hope more sites offer help like this one.
cowgirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote