Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #1
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Who wants to read a book, as experiment.

OK. I've made some fan-translated book that was floating around online into a LRF-file.
This is a famous chinese story of the wuxia-genre.

I wonder if someone who has never read, or even heard about this genre could read, understand and maybe even enjoy this kind of translations.

It's a completely new experience for western people I'd think

Are there any out of you who are willing to give it a try? If so, please give me a PM.

(the story isn't fully translated, so it's incomplete. It's missing the final 4 chapters, and I don't really feel I should distribute it widely, as it's collaboration of dozens of individual fans, so I didn't actually have full permission to put them all together. But I made it for myself actually. And I just wondered if someone who's never came in touch with it would enjoy it.)
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Without being complete, there's no way I'd enjoy it. But if I get close to the end of a book and was to find it was missing the last 4 chapters, I would be mighty pissed for having wasted my reading time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, since it's part of a trilogy and actually consist of many adventures there won't be much missing. Besides, the final chapters could be read online. I just feel I shouldn't give out the complete book if it's not even my work

And part of the experiment is... will people be able to read through the first few chapters with the weird chinese names and without background knowledge of the theories of martial arts or knowledge of chinese history & culture?

Last edited by athlonkmf; 07-23-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah! Now I understand better. I have no idea if I'd be able to get through such a book. But as it is, I have too many book partially read waiting to be finished.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sounds pretty cool! Actually, there is a book out there in this genre called The Prince of Qin. I picked it up a little while back, it was a little tough not having too much background in the Chinese mythos, but a good read nonetheless (not to mention Chinese cinema, not the goopy meledrama gack, but the cool actual-based kung fu fighting genres, is one of my favorite past times).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2007, 02:11 AM   #6
dreamingreader
dreamingreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader--in repair
I'd be willing to give it a try! I've never heard of this genre and I know very, very little about Chinese mythos so I'm pretty much a blank slate for this.
dreamingreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #7
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I could give it a try -- my two daughters are adopted from China (and weren't babies, either) so we watch a fair amount of Chinese TV at home and I'm somewhat familiar with the culture. So I don't know if I'd make a good test case or not.

(Also, I don't have a Reader, I have an iLiad, so I'd rather have HTML or RTF or whatever you started with. So I don't know if I'd be much help to your experiment.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
athlonkmf
Guru

OK. i've sent the PM to 3 members. Hope they enjoy it.
Wouldn't mind if there are more guinea pigs though

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I could give it a try -- my two daughters are adopted from China (and weren't babies, either) so we watch a fair amount of Chinese TV at home and I'm somewhat familiar with the culture. So I don't know if I'd make a good test case or not.

(Also, I don't have a Reader, I have an iLiad, so I'd rather have HTML or RTF or whatever you started with. So I don't know if I'd be much help to your experiment.)
Hmm... i have it word at this moment... will have to see if I should make it into html or not...
Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Moved so more people can see it and maybe help out.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:18 AM   #10
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Sounds great ! That's also part of what online litterature will be in the future: people translating books in all kind of languages !
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:36 AM   #11
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Here in China, my wife likes the wuxia genre. There is a TV series based on this genre. It is very colorful and exciting. I would like to read your ebook. Thanks!

BTW, I would assume that fan-translated works that are published to the internet are intended to be copied unless otherwise stated.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote