Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #46
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Tompe does Sweden have its own Amazon site?

Or do you do like we in Aus do and create an account on the US site, which recognizes the IP address and shows content related to that?

That is, Amazon not only recognizes our IP address but applies geo restrictions accordingly. And prices the ebooks according to those geo restrictions as well - in USD.

That is, we get charged the price of the ebook releative to the Aus market, not the US market. Sometimes they're the same prices, some times they're not.

Seems they want it both ways - apply geo restrictions re country of origin but fail to adhere to currency of origin for purchases.

And what about elending? Can you be part of elending in Sweden? That is, borrow and lend to others?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
No, it doesn't. The only "national" Amazon sites are, to the best of my knowledge:

UK
France
Germany
Spain
Japan
Brasil

They probably base it on population. All the above have a population of 50m+.

EDIT: Oh, and Canada of course, which I believe was the first "national" Amazon store, probably based on its geographical proximity to the US?

Last edited by HarryT; 08-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM   #48
llcj
Addict
llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llcj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
If I remember correctly, Amazon ebook sales in Canada went through the US site until less than a year ago.
llcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #49
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

Or do you do like we in Aus do and create an account on the US site, which recognizes the IP address and shows content related to that?

That is, Amazon not only recognizes our IP address but applies geo restrictions accordingly. And prices the ebooks according to those geo restrictions as well - in USD.
Yes, that is how it works.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #50
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it doesn't. The only "national" Amazon sites are, to the best of my knowledge:

UK
France
Germany
Spain
Japan
Brasil

They probably base it on population. All the above have a population of 50m+.

EDIT: Oh, and Canada of course, which I believe was the first "national" Amazon store, probably based on its geographical proximity to the US?
I believe Amazon Italy exists as well, and has its own Kindle store.

But yes, overall it's only a handful of countries, and while there are likely several who do get the option of seeing the prices & paying in their own currency on Amazon.com, I'm pretty certain that customers in the majority of countries who have to shop for Kindle books on Amazon.com see prices in US dollars (not necessarily the same prices, for Kindle books, as American customers do, but whatever the publisher + Amazon have deemed appropriate for a given market).

And person-to-person lending is only available to US customers. As far as I know, even those in other countries that do have their own national Amazon/Kindle stores don't have the person-to-person lending option (yet anyway - I've seen articles indicating that the UK might get it at some point?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx
That is, Amazon not only recognizes our IP address but applies geo restrictions accordingly.
I'm reasonably certain that while Amazon can recognise your IP address, the geo-restrictions are not applied based on that but on the address you have entered in your account. Customers living in one country don't, as a general rule, suddenly get geo-restrictions applied when travelling, after all, when they have not changed their home address to their travelling address under their account details.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:54 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
I'm reasonably certain that while Amazon can recognise your IP address, the geo-restrictions are not applied based on that but on the address you have entered in your account. Customers living in one country don't, as a general rule, suddenly get geo-restrictions applied when travelling, after all, when they have not changed their home address to their travelling address under their account details.
Yes, that's correct. Amazon will only query your location if you show a repeated pattern of claiming to be in one country while having an IP that's in another. Occasional travel isn't an issue - a few months ago I spend a couple of weeks in the US, but was able to buy a book from "amazon.co.uk" while there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #52
Mark Dawson
Mark Dawson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi guys - a quick Google search revealed a lot of discussion about my intentions for The Black Mile. Bottom line is - there's no DRM attached and I'm happy for you to lend it to whoever you want. That obviously doesn't mean pirate it, but if you think a friend would enjoy the book then I'm totally cool for you to pass it on to them. The mechanics of doing that - I'm not so hot on. And I didn't know that Prime lending was a US only thing, either, so thanks for pointing that out.

At the end of the day, I hope you enjoy the book. That's the most important thing to me.

Cheers

Mark
Mark Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #53
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Gee Mark thank you very much for popping into MR (and becoming a member) to answer my original post

I'm curious though, are you saying that one can elend the book to only 1 other person, or to more than one person?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:06 AM   #54
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
If he sold the distribution rights to a publisher, I'm not sure he can make that decision. That said, I really do like Mark's take on this topic and applaud him for having realistic views. A honor system is hard to implement legally, but an approach like, "It's okay to give a copy to one friend if you bought the book." is exactly the kind of handling that addresses my biggest issues with copyrights and DRM.

I see this sometimes done with video games where you buy a license and get a second, giftable one as a bonus. I almost always buy games like that at the full price instead of waiting for a sale. Has this ever been done with e-books?
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote