Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Richelieu
Richelieu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
2 things about the PRS-650

Hello,

today I got my new PRS-650 and I'm overall very happy with it.

But there are two things, that kind of bothering me.

First, why is it, that you can't hide the statusbar? I mean, I really don't need it everytime and it is just taking up space when I'm reading.

Well, I admit that this is a somewhat minor problem, but what is really annoying me is that when you are in landscape mode and you switch on the same page from the top to the bottom, that you always have a few lines of overlapping text. I'm new to that and maybe someone can enlighten me, if there is a way to get used to that but for me it's making the landscape mode with PDFs totally unusable, which I intended to use a lot, since I don't like to transform all my PDFs with little text-size.

Is there something like a hack to avoid that?

I read that with the older models you would have the recurring text dimmed. Is that possible with the newer models too?

Regards

p.s. I also found that with some PDFs the dictionary isn't working. Does somebody know why that ist? Is that intended?
Richelieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Richelieu--

When viewing in landscape mode, the reader simply takes a full size portrait page and shows the top half first and the bottom half second. One landscape page will show slightly more than a half of a portrait page. The effect of this is that the last lines showing on the first half of the page in landscape mode are repeated as the first lines on the bottom half of the page.

Hope this makes sense!

Regarding the dictionary not working with some PDF files--are those files converted image files? Can you get the text to reflow on them? If not, then they are probably image files instead of text files and the reader has no way of knowing what the words are.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Richelieu
Richelieu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Hi,

thank you for the rephrasing and the further explanation of the landscape mode. Still, even when considering the new knowledge I think it su**s, despite I really like the reader as a whole.
I mean it coulnd't be too hard to programm to split the page after the last row of the page before. I guess just splitting it in half or third could be done by every "Script-Kiddy".
As I said before, it makes decent reading impossible.

The PDF is not scanned. Its also not scanned and then prepared for searching it. But it's not reflowable either. When I change the size only the first row show all the text overlapping.
I had already the suspicion that the reader doesn't have a OCR-Software build in, but thanks for making that clear.

greetings
Richelieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

The older Sony readers greyed out the overlapping text when in landscape mode. To me that was even more annoying than the way the new readers display it. Personally I like the way my K3 does landscape mode totally independent of portrait mode and reflows the text so that you don't get any overlapping. I'm not sure why Sony insists on doing landscape the way they do, but then I'm not sure why Sony does a lot of the things they do with their readers.