Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 05:35 AM   #46
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Lightbulb Nested RAR archive work-around

Fantafrik,

This is a "known problem" with the RAR format; it is not unique to calibre. Most other software which can use compressed files cannot handle an archive in an archive.

This problem can be corrected. Just completely decompress everything in the archive. So there should be no compressed files at all, anywhere. Re-compress all of the files into a single archive. Use the resulting archive normally.

Its annoying and time-consuming, but it does resolve the problem.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:00 PM   #47
fantafrik
fantafrik began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thank you both for your responses.
I am doing what Sabardeyn says for my comics and it works except when the files have extrange characters (solved by renaming)
Kovid, before I could make a patch I should have to learn Python and svn (knowing myself a pair of years to wait). Greetings for your excellent program.
fantafrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #48
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I've forgotten exactly how to resolve the issue with foreign characters. I think you need to install some additional locals in Windows. This will add the extra characters Windows needs to "see" when dealing with names in foreign languages.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 02:34 AM   #49
Evi1d33d
Enthusiast
Evi1d33d began at the beginning.

Device: Red PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can change it to 8 but it shouldn't make an appreciable difference and with 64 your files will look good ona computer screen and future readers as well.
One problem with 64 colors is that if the white isn't perfectly white then there will be little white dots all over the place due to ereader's color dithering. I'm trying to do select 8 colors on the command line version but somehow the command is not working.
Evi1d33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #50
ricou
Enthusiast
ricou doesn't litterricou doesn't litter

Device: bebook
Hello,
I hope I am not asking a silly question but I have been cruising the forums for a while and could not get any answer.

I love calibre, it is a great tool. However I am using an iliad book edition which uses a different screen resolution 768x1024.

My question is: When I am setting up the calibre tool I can use a prs505 or prs505 landscape profile settings.
I used it on a mange and it worked great, meaning it split the 2 pages into 1 on portrait making it more easily readable. But it does not use all the available screen.
Is there a way to input the iliad resolution or to add a iliad profile ?

Many thanks !
Erik
ricou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2009, 12:29 PM   #51
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Adding a profile for the Illiad is quite easy in calibre 0.6. If you can tell me some technical details of the Illiad. In particular the exact usable resolution of the screen, the DPI and what font size in pts looks best on the Illiad
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #52
ricou
Enthusiast

# an 8.1-inch (21 cm) electronic paper display, area for displaying content is 124x152mm
# a resolution of 768x1024 pixels (160 dpi) but I think I read somewhere on the forum that a max resolution of x should be used (there are some icons on the bottom of the screen)
# 16 levels of grayscale

Regarding books:
I do not really know about font size. The current fonts used for converting into mobi or prc is large enough (prs505 portrait profile). In addition you can increase or decrease it at will.

Regarding mangas:
I think the max resolution should be used

Many Thanks !
Old 07-06-2009, 12:45 PM   #53
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I need the usable screen resolution to create the profile. 1024x768 will not all be usable.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:51 PM   #54
ricou
Enthusiast

according to a post on this forum...

The iLiad documentation says the best size if 925 pixels high, 760 pixels wide.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #55
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

OK will be in the next 0.6 beta
Old 07-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #56
ricou
Enthusiast

Great !

Many Thanks !
Old 07-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #57
ricou
Enthusiast

Hi, I checked the .6 beta
When I try to convert a manga (cbr) now I have access to the book conversion and not the comics/manga that I used to have (which had only the sony PRS505 profile).
Can I access comicslrf manually ?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:13 PM   #58
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You can run

ebook-convert file.cbr .mobi

from the command line
Old 08-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #59
ricou
Enthusiast

Hello,
Thanks for the Iliad profile. It is working great. Especially for comics (I have different types of comics/manga, in cbr, pdf, split page, landscape you name it and calibre turns them all into single page tailored to my Iliad).

Great job !
Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #60
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Cool glad it works

Tags
cbz, comic