Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #121
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Nyn - I'll have a think about that one, I'm trying to avoid changing the Goodreads plugin for a bit longer while I work on a couple of others.

@bookmonster - thanks for the kind words. Nice to hear someone else has interest in that feature when it does appear in the plugin one day . I'm not sure when that will be but obviously the more interest there is the greater the likelihood I will look into it.

As for your linking question. First and foremost any linking is done by ISBN if it is present on the book. So if you have the right ISBN, it should link to the same edition on Goodreads. You might find my "Extract ISBN" plugin useful if you have ISBN inside the book format. So you would add the book to Calibre, use Extract ISBN to grab the ISBN value, and then download metadata/link to goodreads.

If you don't have the ISBN, then the search results it displays are very limited in the information Goodreads gives back to me unfortunately. So in that case click the Search Goodreads.com button, and expand the "xxx Editions" link for the book it finds to see all the variations Goodreads has. Then just drag the link for the particular book back onto the plugin dialog.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #122
bookmonster
bookmonster doesn't litterbookmonster doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
As for your linking question. First and foremost any linking is done by ISBN if it is present on the book. So if you have the right ISBN, it should link to the same edition on Goodreads. You might find my "Extract ISBN" plugin useful if you have ISBN inside the book format. So you would add the book to Calibre, use Extract ISBN to grab the ISBN value, and then download metadata/link to goodreads.

If you don't have the ISBN, then the search results it displays are very limited in the information Goodreads gives back to me unfortunately. So in that case click the Search Goodreads.com button, and expand the "xxx Editions" link for the book it finds to see all the variations Goodreads has. Then just drag the link for the particular book back onto the plugin dialog.
Ok I finally figured out my problem here - for Goodreads to grab the Kindle version, I had to replace the ISBN with the ASIN. Any books from the library I changed to the "ebook ISBN" & now life is just peachy
bookmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 03:05 AM   #123
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@bookmonster - that raises some interesting points. Firstly, storing ASIN as a separate identifier is something that is almost enabled in Calibre. I say almost because you can store it, you just don't have a GUI to edit it/give it a value other than from a plugin currently (it will happen in Calibre 0.8 in the coming months).

Once that is available, I will be changing the goodreads metadata plugin so that it can scrape ASIN if it is available. I guess the question is if a book has both an ASIN and an ISBN, should the Goodreads sync plugin always try to use the ASIN rather than the ISBN? (I'm trying to avoid you having to manually manipulate the ISBN field).

The other idea this gave me is for the Extract ISBN plugin - it should really have the ability to scrape ASIN identifiers from a book format as well...
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #124
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Firstly, storing ASIN as a separate identifier is something that is almost enabled in Calibre. I say almost because you can store it, you just don't have a GUI to edit it/give it a value other than from a plugin currently (it will happen in Calibre 0.8 in the coming months)
That's interesting. So Calibre will get code to read the ASIN number of a file? I currently do this in my plugin (with the original code borrowed from other programs) so it will be interesting to see how this is done.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #125
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, calibre will download ASINs as part of the new download metadata process, when downloading from Amazon. Reading ASIN from MOBI files is completely hit and miss, since there is no unambiguous field in the MOBI header that stores an ASIN. For example, calibre itself puts a uuid into the ASIN header of MOBI files it generates, to enable Amazon syncing.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 12:33 PM   #126
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
That's interesting. So Calibre will get code to read the ASIN number of a file? I currently do this in my plugin (with the original code borrowed from other programs) so it will be interesting to see how this is done.
With the changes made a few releases ago Calibre already has the ability to store multiple "identifiers" for a book, ISBN being the obvious one, and goodreads id from this plugin being another. Now in theory there will be nothing stopping us in a metadata download plugin from grabbing other identifiers as well and storing these. This could be pretty useful to grab website specific internal ids for a book to enable very close integration in plugins.

So for instance I will be changing my Goodreads metadata download plugin to make sure that it grabs the goodreads id and sets that (will save the need for users to manually link books). I will also be attempting to grab the ASIN and set an identifier for that too. I can't do it today because I have no way of passing that identifier back to be stored, however in the new metadata download API that is no longer the case.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #127
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
No, calibre will download ASINs as part of the new download metadata process, when downloading from Amazon. Reading ASIN from MOBI files is completely hit and miss, since there is no unambiguous field in the MOBI header that stores an ASIN. For example, calibre itself puts a uuid into the ASIN header of MOBI files it generates, to enable Amazon syncing.
Okay, that's clear. And I think it just solved a mystery about the Calibre Device view and collections - but I'll post that in the Kindle Collections plugin thread.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #128
bookmonster

Ok gang, I'm still confused on one point. I get the whole ISBN/ASIN concept. But I have my preference to "read metadata from file contents rather than file name" when I add books. So when I add an EPUB that I download from the library, why is the ISBN pulled for the DTB not the ebook version??? Example:
Brazen Virtue - ISBN 9780553897005 vs 0553897004(i get this from Goodreads & manually update). FYI: the Extract ISBN plugin changes it back to the original value.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM   #129
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Noughty - I'm continuing the points you raised on this post on the other thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
This is about goodreads sync plug in, but I think it might be related, so I will write it here too. Then linking if book isn't found, I press find on goodreads, before the plug in would fill in the search and search automatically, now I am just sent to the search window without anything filled in and no search results. It's no big deal, but I think it could be related...
Ok. The search button when it launches a search against the Goodreads.com website is indeed the same issue that the cover and metadata downloads plugins have - Goodreads changing their website busted all three of them. I will push a release for fixing the Search button shortly.

However in terms of the "Goodreads.com matches for Title/Author" screen itself, this is working the same way it always did in terms of displaying results. You can quite often get no results because of the T&C Goodreads have with their API which means that some of their data they are not allowed to push through the API. That is one of the reasons why the "Search Goodreads.com" box is on that dialog - at least that way you can search their website and drag/drop a url onto the dialog. It would be nicer to not go through that charade but it only happens on a subset of the books and there is zero I can do about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
calibre Debug log
calibre 0.7.54
Windows-Vista-6.0.6002-SP2
Windows
('Windows', 'Vista', '6.0.6002')
Python 2.7.1
Windows: ('Vista', '6.0.6002', 'SP2', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
get_categories: item contemporary is not in #shelf list!
get_categories: item pirates is not in #shelf list!
get_categories: item series is not in #shelf list!
and so on and so on with all the shelves I think....
This output has me intrigued. What action did you do to get those messages appearing? what is #shelf - is it a custom column? what is "contemporary", "pirates" etc? If you can give me the details of the custom column (what type it is), what actions you did etc we can go from there. If it was related to a goodreads thing, send me a PM with your Goodreads Sync.json file so I can take a look at your settings. I want to get this looked into asap so I can push a fixed Goodreads Sync release for the search button issue above.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:17 AM   #130
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookmonster View Post
Ok gang, I'm still confused on one point. I get the whole ISBN/ASIN concept. But I have my preference to "read metadata from file contents rather than file name" when I add books. So when I add an EPUB that I download from the library, why is the ISBN pulled for the DTB not the ebook version??? Example:
Brazen Virtue - ISBN 9780553897005 vs 0553897004(i get this from Goodreads & manually update). FYI: the Extract ISBN plugin changes it back to the original value.
When you get data from the file metadata, you are at the mercy of what was put in there. Depending on the source of that book, it might be valid data, or it might be completely crap. So don't confuse an ISBN being pulled from the file metadata as a guarantee that it actually is the same as the "real" ISBN for that edition, it is just an additional piece of data attached to the book. The extract ISBN plugin will try to give you the "real" ISBN by scraping the text of the book if it exists.

So...
1. What ISBN do you see inside the book when you view it?
2. What ISBN does extract ISBN give you? (hopefully the same)
3. What ISBN does it give you when you add the file reading from the book metadata?
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #131
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
To answer your questions. Contemporary and pirates etc are my shelves I download to that column shelves from goodryds with sync. But I was trying to only get metadata not sync then I got that message. And then I download metadata I add tags to tags column, not the custom column which I made for my personal shelves on goodreads.
Hope it's clear enough

Contemporary: my shelf on goodreads
Shelf= custom column to which I download shelves from goodreads (i don't down,load them to tags column)
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #132
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Noughty - ok, I think I understand. So you hadn't done any actions in the Goodreads sync plugin by the time those messages appeared, but the column is actually for the purposes of being used by Goodreads sync.

Doing a search on the codebase, it looks like actually it is the tag browser that is responsible for displaying those messages. As I asked above what type of custom column is it? (Go into Add your own columns, click the blue i icon and tell me what the Column type box says). Is it "Comma separated text, like tags"?

Also the values in that column, do they appear to be displayed correctly? Are they comma separated where multiple? This is a thing for chaley to solve I think, unless my Goodreads Sync plugin is not populating that column correctly.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #133
bookmonster

Quote:
When you get data from the file metadata, you are at the mercy of what was put in there. Depending on the source of that book, it might be valid data, or it might be completely crap. So don't confuse an ISBN being pulled from the file metadata as a guarantee that it actually is the same as the "real" ISBN for that edition, it is just an additional piece of data attached to the book. The extract ISBN plugin will try to give you the "real" ISBN by scraping the text of the book if it exists.

So...
1. What ISBN do you see inside the book when you view it?
2. What ISBN does extract ISBN give you? (hopefully the same)
3. What ISBN does it give you when you add the file reading from the book metadata?
1. 1-4406-7595-3
2. Vampire Academy - ERROR: (<class 'lxml.etree.XMLSyntaxError'>, XMLSyntaxError(u'PCDATA invalid Char value 3, line 91, column 44',))
3. 9781595141743
4. Goodreads ISBN: 1440676615
Old 04-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #134
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Ok, I'm confused. You give me four answers to three questions, slipping an error message in there at number two.

If you want me to take a look at that error message (which I presume happened when you ran extract ISBN) either post the full debug output in the extract isbn thread, or send me a PM with it (and preferably a link to the book so I can run it myself if needed).

Are you saying that extract ISBN came back with 9781595141743? This must be in the book somewhere, I know in answer 1 you said 1-4406-7595-3 but that is just an ISBN-10 number, presumably it has the ISBN-13 number as well?
Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #135
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Quote:
@Noughty - ok, I think I understand. So you hadn't done any actions in the Goodreads sync plugin by the time those messages appeared, but the column is actually for the purposes of being used by Goodreads sync.

Doing a search on the codebase, it looks like actually it is the tag browser that is responsible for displaying those messages. As I asked above what type of custom column is it? (Go into Add your own columns, click the blue i icon and tell me what the Column type box says). Is it "Comma separated text, like tags"?

Also the values in that column, do they appear to be displayed correctly? Are they comma separated where multiple? This is a thing for chaley to solve I think, unless my Goodreads Sync plugin is not populating that column correctly.
Yes it is comma separated text like tags and it is displayed correctly.
It doesn't seem to download any tags . Tried over 30 books, still nothing.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, goodreads