Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Storytelling Theory & Practice

Quote:
Professor Brian Sturm presents storytelling as a way of organizing information, conveying emotions, and building community. A model of storytelling as altered state of consciousness (the story trance) is presented that inlcudes 16 portals to altered states. Three stories are told to illustrate the theoretical model: Truth and Story; What happens when you really listen; and The stone cutter. Storytelling ethics and the need for trust and truth are discussed.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
I'm not a writer, but this looks very interesting! Thanks!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
I can't say I really agree with him and the psychobabble he uses, but at least it's got some kind of structure and thought behind it. Certainly beats Elizabeth Gilbert and her moon-eyed ravings about creativity and divine sparks . . .

Cheers for posting it.

Regards,
Ryan
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I can't say I really agree with him and the psychobabble he uses, but at least it's got some kind of structure and thought behind it. Certainly beats Elizabeth Gilbert and her moon-eyed ravings about creativity and divine sparks . . .

Cheers for posting it.

Regards,
Ryan

I love Gilbert, but then again my mentor is Ray Bradbury and my gospel is "Zen in the Art of Writing". Also I'm a free culture advocate and ascribe to the theory that our world is changing drastically into a new culture and as Eben Moglen puts it:

No poet will ever go unpublished now

We're moving away from the profit incentive, the write-what-will-sell to the write-your-passion model. Again I have to quote Eben Moglen when he said (talking about the music industry, but it transfers to all creative individuals)

"There will be no ten million dollar artists. But a million artists making a living, not having to take a day job."

Anybody who's interested in Gilbert can watch her great TED talk here: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/e...on_genius.html
Old 08-23-2009, 02:07 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Thanks for the links. I write very little fiction, but am quite interested in story-telling and communication. This looks interesting.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Winter
Enthusiast
Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Winter writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Asus EeePC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I love Gilbert, but then again my mentor is Ray Bradbury and my gospel is "Zen in the Art of Writing". Also I'm a free culture advocate and ascribe to the theory that our world is changing drastically into a new culture and as Eben Moglen puts it:

No poet will ever go unpublished now

We're moving away from the profit incentive, the write-what-will-sell to the write-your-passion model. Again I have to quote Eben Moglen when he said (talking about the music industry, but it transfers to all creative individuals)
I can't stand her. I've never agreed with making writing into something mystical or beyond normal human mentality, I think it's counterproductive and disingenuous. Anyone can learn how to produce publishable fiction. There's really nothing exceptional (and certainly nothing religious) about the skill of good writing. Some people do have a predisposition to it, but that doesn't make them prophets. Even in a world which could be proven to have no divine influences, there would still be stories, and images, and music.

My motto is, "Whatever works." I've always been a pragmatist. I don't believe in reducing creativity to some mechanical ruleset, because I think there's a little bit more to it than that, but it's just as bad to go around telling people they're precious and unique snowflakes with divine powers.

In the end it's just psychology and the wonderful things the human brain can do. If you've got a talent, that's a great thing, and worth pursuing -- but why dress it up?

Regards,
Ryan
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I can't stand her. I've never agreed with making writing into something mystical or beyond normal human mentality, I think it's counterproductive and disingenuous. Anyone can learn how to produce publishable fiction. There's really nothing exceptional (and certainly nothing religious) about the skill of good writing. Some people do have a predisposition to it, but that doesn't make them prophets. Even in a world which could be proven to have no divine influences, there would still be stories, and images, and music.

My motto is, "Whatever works." I've always been a pragmatist. I don't believe in reducing creativity to some mechanical ruleset, because I think there's a little bit more to it than that, but it's just as bad to go around telling people they're precious and unique snowflakes with divine powers.

In the end it's just psychology and the wonderful things the human brain can do. If you've got a talent, that's a great thing, and worth pursuing -- but why dress it up?

Regards,
Ryan
Don't get me wrong, I think everybody is a writer, or can be if they want to be. But I also think writing is worthy of some romance, some magic that takes it beyond 1+1=story (Otherwise known as the Dan Brown equation). I believe writing is a kind of magic, only sometimes the magician has no idea how he performed the trick.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
PennyPie
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
I don't believe in reducing creativity to some mechanical ruleset, because I think there's a little bit more to it than that
My experience in the art world was in painting (former watercolorist)...American Greetings is located here in Cleveland. The artists employed there to create the greeting cards, calendars, frig magnets, etc, made their living making products the PUBLIC would buy. But on their own time, they produced the art they loved, that which was from their hearts...totally different than the mass production they 9to5'd.

I think that must be the same for the writer...there's the Great Novel (or other prose) in one's soul, but the books for the masses pays the bills, Right??
Old 08-23-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
My experience in the art world was in painting (former watercolorist)...American Greetings is located here in Cleveland. The artists employed there to create the greeting cards, calendars, frig magnets, etc, made their living making products the PUBLIC would buy. But on their own time, they produced the art they loved, that which was from their hearts...totally different than the mass production they 9to5'd.

I think that must be the same for the writer...there's the Great Novel (or other prose) in one's soul, but the books for the masses pays the bills, Right??
There used to be an equivalent in writing, during the old pulp days when there were many many markets, now it's a lot less hopeful. I don't have the full stats but something like 1% of published writers are rich, 4% make a living, and the other 95% take a second job to make a living. And that's in the markets that actually sell a lot to the general public.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
PennyPie

And I sort of think it would be the same in painting...good painters are a dime a dozen (me amongst them)...but the painter that actually makes his living solely from painting is also a very small percentage...the great ones. (Except for Thomas Kinkaide (gag)....marketing is everything)
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Erm... None.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe
I believe writing is a kind of magic,
Of course it is.

What isn't?

Reyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 06:58 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #13
PennyPie

Quote:
Hey! As a jigsaw puzzle fan, I resent that wicked slur!
OOPS! Mea Culpa....Pretty Pictures, yes, great art, no. But they would make nice puzzles.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
AceTachyon
Writer of SF/F Pulp Adven
AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AceTachyon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My take is that its both: part skill, part magic. The skill comes from learning how to create stories that work and move readers.

The magic comes from continually creating stories that work and move readers.

Like the martial arts master. Initially, he/she learned the skills, the punches, the blocks, the kicks, the throws. Later, he/she moves so fluidly between punches, blocks, kicks, and throws you seem to be watching magic.

Just my two cents.
AceTachyon is offline   Reply With Quote