Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
whippy
whippy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello from potential developer

Hi there,

I have a Sony PRS-505 and a Hanlin V3, I use the Hanlin more than the Sony - after a while i just found the Hanlin's display slightly easier on the eye which more than compensated for its rather less polished finish and buttons.

I'm looking to find a way to develop and deliver a simple reading application (essentially another file format, very similar to epub) on the Hanlin - OpenInkpot looks interesting but the site seems dead.

I'm an experienced programmer/project manager but fairly new to Linux and completely new to these devices.

If anyone is interested in helping and has real practical, demonstrable experience of building and delivering a custom app on either the Hanlin or the 505 i would love to hear from you. There is limited funding available.
whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi whippy,
welcome to the forum. if you're interested in OpekInkpot, i'm pretty sure the project is still active ; there is a forum here about it and i believe most of the developpers (possibly all of them) are members here. if you are a developper, please stop by there, they might be glad to have some participation. in any case, you can certainly find out the latest news.

there are quite a lot of developpers around here so if you're interested in making new programs you might get some interest in collaborating. on the other hand, i would definitely not recommend you develop another file format. instead, what could be very useful is to develop either a reading application for the epub format, or (even more useful) a really good app for creating epub files, with a gui. we need those ! even an app which you could point to the repertory containing all the content, and tell it to generate the content.opf manifest and the table of contents ncx file would be very helpful.

but, i do strongly recommend that you support epub instead of creating a new format. it's the industry standard format, and is gaining a lot of acceptance among publishers, manufacturers and readers, but it's coming from a history of very fragmented offerings with many competing and incompatible formats available. the last thing we want to do is add to the tower of e-babel !

take a look around the site, and don't hesitate to ask any questions, you'll find we have a lot of very knowledgeable and friendly people here !

happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
You're kind of talking over my head (ok, kind of a lot), but welcome! I hope Zelda's info was helpful to you!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #4
whippy
whippy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks Zelda, thats good to know.

I agree regarding the epub format's utility. I'd assumed (wrongly?) that epub would be readable with one of the existing OpenInkPot readers - I'll have to check that.

I've been asked by a client to demonstrate some interesting DRM concepts and I believe, for the demo, extending a well designed and utilised format is a good approach.
whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippy View Post
Thanks Zelda, thats good to know.

I agree regarding the epub format's utility. I'd assumed (wrongly?) that epub would be readable with one of the existing OpenInkPot readers - I'll have to check that.

I've been asked by a client to demonstrate some interesting DRM concepts and I believe, for the demo, extending a well designed and utilised format is a good approach.
hm, i don't know for sure, but i thought OI did support epub... well, i guess we both should check.

regarding drm... arg ! you should demonstrate to your client why drm is pointless, ineffective, and annoying only to their legimitage, honest customers, a waste of money, and why they should drop it completely !! (only half joking... if that...) if you're interested there are plenty of discussions about drm around here so i won't go any further into it for now.

do keep us posted on your developpment projects ; i'll be very interested to know what you end up doing.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
bebook, development, hanlin, linux, sony