Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #1
dee_can
Enthusiast
dee_can began at the beginning.

Device: kobo original, kobo touch, kobo vox, ipod touch
No Sound - Ever

Hi, I got my Kobo Vox as a Christmas gift, and I got it set up for the most part (except a glitch with outgoing mail/ports); but my main problem at the moment is that from the second I set up the Vox it has had no sound. Under Settings, Silent Mode is not checked off; Volume is set at it's highest point; I checked Audible selection to play sound when making a selection (I was desperate to hear something); Screen lock sounds is checked off (again, I was desperate); the volume tab on the left-hand side has been pushed until it shows 100% volume. Yet - nothing.

I tried playing youtube videos, I get no sound. I downloaded Flash Player - not knowing whether this will help, to be honest. Still nothing.

So after trying different things, thinking that maybe I have this set up incorrectly, I phoned Kobo Help yesterday, and was told to reset the device, which I tried before, but it didn't fix the problem. Now I'm waiting to hear from some one from Tier 2, but in the meantime I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone knows what the problem might be? Or has a suggestion that I might try. Kobo asked me when I bought it and I told them I received Nov 12, but wrapped it up right away without opening it, for a Christmas present. So I've only been using it (in silence) since Dec 25.

Thank you!
dee_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
I think even the first time you turned it on, you should have heard the sound it makes at startup. I would wager it's a hardware problem.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #3
dee_can
Enthusiast

I didn't even realize I was supposed to hear sounds on start up, so I'm glad to know that. I'm hoping the date of purchase, and my actual date of opening this device won't be a problem since I suspect I'll be sending it back. Thank you for responding.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
Hi - Sorry you ar experiencing problems with your Vox. Can you hear sound when using headphones?

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
dee_can
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoboJW View Post
Hi - Sorry you ar experiencing problems with your Vox. Can you hear sound when using headphones?

James
I didn't think to try that. So I put some headphones in, and played a youtube video, and yes, there is sound. Just not when I take the headphones out. Can the problem be fixed do you know? Thanks.
Advert
Old 01-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Good point about the headphones. If that works, then the speaker itself might be defective or have a broken connection. The way the volume buttons work is full volume down turns the sound off and if you have the sound off in the settings, volume up turns it on again. I've even seen the sound getting turned on by an on-line video when I have it turned off in the settings.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
KoboJW
UX Lead, Kobo Vox
KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.KoboJW has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Boxes of Voxes
It sounds like a hardware issue. I would recommend exchanging the unit.

James
KoboJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
dee_can
Enthusiast

I'm not really sure the best way to go about that so I guess I'll wait until Tier 2 contacts me (I ordered the Kobo Vox online through Kobo), and then set up the exchange with them. Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
arialswg
arialswg began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Hi there.

I have a slightly different problem. I don't seem to get any sound with my movies. I get sound on startup and when I'm clicking the buttons. I had sound on YouTube. But when I play a movie....silence. Volume is at max...tried with my headphones, that didn't work...checked the actual movie file, it was an untested one so I thought maybe it was the movie but...no dice. And Silent Mode is turned off. Can anyone offer me any other suggestions?

Thanks
arialswg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Try using vlc media player from jefftheworld's app pack. I bet it's a missing codec.

[edit]: That thread really should be a sticky:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=jefftheworld
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
Cameron0960
Mr. Awesomesauce
Cameron0960 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by arialswg View Post
Hi there.

I have a slightly different problem. I don't seem to get any sound with my movies. I get sound on startup and when I'm clicking the buttons. I had sound on YouTube. But when I play a movie....silence. Volume is at max...tried with my headphones, that didn't work...checked the actual movie file, it was an untested one so I thought maybe it was the movie but...no dice. And Silent Mode is turned off. Can anyone offer me any other suggestions?

Thanks
I agree with Mr. Nobody. It's likely a codec issue. You could convert the video file into a format with a readable codec. OR you could download the VLC app. The great thing about VLC is that it is able to play all types of video formats and codecs. It's quite the handy piece of software.
Cameron0960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #12
dee_can
Enthusiast

I'm still waiting for Tier 2 to contact me. *crickets* Guess I'll phone again today. Hope you get your problem fixed, arialswg.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net tells you what formats are in a file. There are converters around too.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee_can View Post
I'm still waiting for Tier 2 to contact me. *crickets* Guess I'll phone again today. Hope you get your problem fixed, arialswg.

try contacting ddiljohn@kobo.com , he was extremely helpful for many customers when the Vox first launched and tier 2 wasn't answering for days... he took care of a refund for a cancelled online order for me within a day or so.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #15
dee_can
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
try contacting ddiljohn@kobo.com , he was extremely helpful for many customers when the Vox first launched and tier 2 wasn't answering for days... he took care of a refund for a cancelled online order for me within a day or so.
Thanks very much.