Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
pooks
pooks began at the beginning.

Device: kindle global (2)
PDF protected by DRM, only... it's not?

On a site where people can print content, I chose to create a pdf.

When I went to convert to pdf to mobi, calibre said it has drm which needs to be removed.

The site owner has no idea what is going on, saying there is no reason for drm to show up.

Is it possible that this is a calibre glitch?
pooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I dont know. Post up the file and let us have a try at it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #3
pooks

Where do I post it?
Old 01-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Click on new reply and then manage attachments. You can post up to a 20M PDF file I believe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-01-30 at 8.51.28 PM.png
Views:	298
Size:	242.9 KB
ID:	44615  
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
pooks

Well, because it's a very large file, I just tried doing the first chapter and that one loaded with no problem. But the 67-chapter file claims to have DRM. I don't feel comfortable loading that here, so... could the size be an issue?

I have permission to download the book for my own use. I don't have permission to upload it to a public bbs where it's open for others to get, is my problem.

Last edited by pooks; 01-30-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:10 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooks View Post
On a site where people can print content, I chose to create a pdf.
How was the PDF created? Did you print to PDF? Do you have another option besides PDF?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #7
pooks

I printed to pdf. I don't think there are any other options. There's an option to print, and other than actually printing, printing to pdf seems to be the only option.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I printed to pdf. I don't think there are any other options. There's an option to print, and other than actually printing, printing to pdf seems to be the only option.
Maybe something weird is happening with PDF creation software? Do you have the option of re-printing it? Can you try different software? Since you can't attach the PDF is the site available for one of us to go to the site and give it a try?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
pooks

I used Word, and it's "print to pdf" function. I wonder if I have something else here I could try...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I used Word, and it's "print to pdf" function. I wonder if I have something else here I could try...
In Word save it as filtered html and try that in calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

I use CutePDF (it's free). There are a lot to choose from, give one a try.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:30 PM   #12
pooks

I'm sorry. I don't know what I'm thinking. I didn't use word. If I could download it as a word doc I wouldn't have a problem.

I am on a Mac with Snow Leopard. I chose "print" and it was the software (would that be mac software or the printer software that would be HP?) and chose "pdf."
Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Can you just save the page(s) as an html document?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM   #14
pooks

Wow. I just tried Control-all and then copy, and then pasted into a word doc--and it worked. So, it's in a word doc. What is the best way to save it, so that calibre can convert it to mobi?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I'm sorry. I don't know what I'm thinking. I didn't use word. If I could download it as a word doc I wouldn't have a problem.

I am on a Mac with Snow Leopard. I chose "print" and it was the software (would that be mac software or the printer software that would be HP?) and chose "pdf."
Normally I would suggest using the free Mobipocket Creator to convert the PDF to html. But this is a Windows program. If you have a virtual Windows environment then this is an easy solution. There also might be other such programs native to the Mac.

You can try Adobe's online PDF to html conversion tool.

Once in html conversion should be easy.

Good luck!

&
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote