Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've had a CyBook since they first appeared, and am extremely happy with it. It has the best MobiPocket support of any eInk device on the market, although its PDF support is rather "lacking".

If you want to read MobiPocket books, I'd recommend it thoroughly.
Harry, your prolonged satisfaction with the CyBook is indeed excellent praise. I will keep it in mind as my next choice.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Another vote for the Cybook as a general ebook device. However, I only use it for fiction and calibre newsfeeds. Can't say how it will work with pdf's but I certainly haven't heard that it is any worse than Sony for that albeit different in the way it handles it.

No one has commented yet about the potential format change though. I'm not sure I am completely up to speed but you should look into whether the Cybook currently supports mobipocket (which you have indicated a preference for) or epub drm which is the new up and coming format I believe. I had seen a few postings to say that they were abandoning mobi on the device going forward and picking up epub instead which may be a plus or a minus in your consideration.

Finally, you may want to consider the Aztak because I think it supports mobi drm doesn't it (correct me if I'm wrong because I saw mixed responses on this)? This is the one sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond in the states and while you will have to pay exchange and shipping I think it will likely still come out cheaper than the Cybook.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:30 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
No one has commented yet about the potential format change though. I'm not sure I am completely up to speed but you should look into whether the Cybook currently supports mobipocket (which you have indicated a preference for) or epub drm which is the new up and coming format I believe. I had seen a few postings to say that they were abandoning mobi on the device going forward and picking up epub instead which may be a plus or a minus in your consideration.
I've had personal confirmation from Bookeen that they are categorically not abandoning MobiPocket. What they probably will do (and we should know for certain in the next few days) is have two different firmware versions - one with Mobi support, the other with ePub. Given the ease of reflashing the CyBook's firmware (all you need is an SD card - no PC connection required) this is probably a good solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #19
jessTay
Connoisseur
jessTay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2! YAY
on the bookeen site it still says it supports mobi but the blog says soon it will get better pdf support and epub support. it doesn't mention getting rid of mobipocket though.. why would they just get rid of a format? maybe i don't know enough about it, but from the way the blog was worded, it just seems like they'll make both available.

I mean, if i'm doing fine with mobi and the pdfs look ok, i could just not download the update as well, right?

hmmm
the only one i saw on bed bath and beyond was the jetbook... is that what you are talking about?
it looks much thicker than the cybook.

i still love the cybook :'( i hope it's not just getting rid of mobi
jessTay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #20
jessTay
Connoisseur

also i didn't see that it supports eInk anywhere :S
Old 05-17-2009, 01:03 PM   #21
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessTay View Post
on the bookeen site it still says it supports mobi but the blog says soon it will get better pdf support and epub support. it doesn't mention getting rid of mobipocket though.. why would they just get rid of a format? maybe i don't know enough about it, but from the way the blog was worded, it just seems like they'll make both available.

I mean, if i'm doing fine with mobi and the pdfs look ok, i could just not download the update as well, right?

hmmm
the only one i saw on bed bath and beyond was the jetbook... is that what you are talking about?
it looks much thicker than the cybook.

i still love the cybook :'( i hope it's not just getting rid of mobi
jetBook available on NewEgg Canadian website for $259.99 CAD:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16858723001
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #22
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessTay View Post
also i didn't see that it supports eInk anywhere :S
jetBook has TFT screen that has many pluses if compare with eInk screens:
see this discussion and pictures:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45593
Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM   #23
jessTay
Connoisseur

A Decision

I think I've decided on........(probably obvious)

the Cybook!

Even though it costs a bit more than some other models, I think i'll really be happy with it!

So Cybook users, you'll probably see me in the Cybook forums within the month!

For now, I have to hit the non-electronic books EXAM TIME

Thank you everyone who helped my decision! I'm ebook reader obsessed now and have been telling everyone about them and this forum for the past two weeks straight!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post

Finally, you may want to consider the Aztak because I think it supports mobi drm doesn't it (correct me if I'm wrong because I saw mixed responses on this)? This is the one sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond in the states and while you will have to pay exchange and shipping I think it will likely still come out cheaper than the Cybook.

Mel
Bed, Bath and Beyond sell jetBook, they don't sell Aztak
Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
jessTay
Connoisseur

Confused with the new releases coming out now

ok so with these new releases coming out soon, I've started to become confused again even though I was all decided on Bookeen's Cybook Gen 3.

Mobipocket vs. ePub...what's the difference? Which has more books? Which is cheaper? I mostly read literary fiction... contemporary award winners and classics... stuff like that

CYBOOK OPUS
pro:
-> newest version of bookeen ebook reader
-> rumours of it having native pdf reader (very good for my articles I have to read for school)
-> nice design
->flips to landscape mode with motion sensor
-> 1GB storage

Other (stuff that I'm not sure if it's good or bad):
->supports ePub

Con:
-> no firm release date set, just sometime in June. No idea when or it Canada would be able to order it
-> no idea what type of case or if it will even have a case
-> pricing not announced
-> not much info announced except that it is pocket size (which doesn't really matter to me.. i don't want something tiny but as long as it still has a 6" screen... would like to know how many levels of grayscale)
-> rumours that it might not support SD cards

COOL-ER
Pro:
-> 8 Layers of grayscale
-> Price (250 US, more here in Canada, but still will end up being less than Cybook Gen 3)
-> Reads PDFs
-> Fun colours
-> Can use SD Cards
-> 1 GB storage

Other:
-> can get case but unsure of look, price, material, etc
-> ePub
-does it have folder support or not?

Con:
-> not really sure yet but things in the other section could be con
-> When will canadians be able to order? How much will shipping cost? I am eager to know when Canadians could get this device.. afraid it'll be backordered by the time we get at it

Cybook Gen 3

Pro:
-> already know how people like it (most really enjoy it!)
-> Really nice case that is around the same price as other ones for ebook readers
-> nice design
-> reads pdfs
-> SD slots

Other:
Mobi instead of ePub?
4 layers of grayscale (does this matter?)

Con:
-> older model with firmware not being constantly released
-> no folder support (yet as I said I'm not sure how annoying this would be)

Is anything missing here? There is a lot I don't know so if anyone can fill in the blanks for me, especially about mobi vs epub, i'd very much appreciate it.

I'm starting to think I should maybe wait for the release for one of these new readers, but if anyone can advise otherwise, that would be amazing.

I'm willing to spend the extra money for the Cybook Gen 3 if it's the best, but if I decide to get a cheaper option I might buy it sooner!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
jessTay
Connoisseur

ok so I got some info on the different formats

people who are maybe looking at this thread to help decide can look here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...495#post465495

to fill in some of the blanks above.
I think I'm going to see what people think of COOL-ER ebooks and how much the opus will be before making a decision, now that I know i can convert either way with calibre.

Wondering though, is stripping DRM illegal in canada? Can't seem to find info on it... I've been studying canadian media policy this year and Canada is a bit slow in regulating new media so chances are no.. but i want to make sure
Old 05-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #27
jessTay
Connoisseur

reading more on the cybook opus news thread I found the price will be around the same as the current cybook and its screen is 5 inches instead of 6...

so chances are I'll get the COOL-ER ebook reader once there are more reviews out and its able to be ordered
Old 05-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #28
Fathermole
Connoisseur
Fathermole began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
If you decide on a COOL-er we must have a Toronto meet up . I want to see that device in person .
Fathermole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #29
jessTay
Connoisseur

that would be exciting if everyone from TO met up.

but yea, definately thinking the cooler now. I still like the look of the cybook, but unless there is something horribly wrong with the COOL-ER, I'm sold.

I was thinking about holding out for an Astak mentor where I could get wifi with a bit of extra money since they are estimating a fairly low price, but I don't want to wait that long to sound impatient.. I don't really need the wifi at this point since I'm not away from my computer for very long. I'll probably pick up a wifi device down the road once there are more out.

So COOL-ER it is. I love how in the online review they said, "It seems rugged enough to throw in a backpack, perfect for a student" well I'm a student, so how about that yay! ebooks!
Old 11-30-2009, 04:40 PM   #30
ksyed0
ksyed0 began at the beginning.

Device: FoxIt eSlick
Canadian eBook readers

I have a Sony 505 and a FoxIt eSlick.

The Sony has a nice screen and accessories (nice cover with a sidelight). It also has a nice "library" interface on the device itself (I hate the PC/Mac software - I wish they wrote some nice native apps instead of crappy Java or Rosetta apps).

The FoxIt eSlick has a much nicer reading mode - including a very nice reflow mode and good format support. The screen is also larger, and the device itself is very light and thin.

Both take SD cards so storage / capacity is not an issue, and both mount as USB drives so transfer is not an issue either.

Both work with Caliber eReader software.

The eSlick is a better device for reading, I just wish they would emulate the Sony "library" interface. The current launcher is just a file browser. On the other hand, unless the eBook metadata is accurate, the Sony's interface is very poor to find a specific file based on the filename.

PS - I have two extra eSlick readers for sale, brand new and sealed in the box. Send me an email at ksyed0 at gmail.com if interested. I bought three so I have two extra.

MKS
ksyed0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cybook, iliad, kindle, sony reader