Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #31
kreg
kreg began at the beginning.

Device: DR 1000s
FBreader not working

I am new to the DR1000s and to FBreader, so perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but i can't get Fbreader to work at all.

I extracted the entire contents of the zip to root level "Programs" folder on the DR1000 device. When I then use the device, I see the Programs folder containing all the files under "Documents".

I only see one file with a icon other than the many PNG files; There is an "FBReader with a "four leaf" icon with an arrow I take to be a shortcut type of thing. But when I click on this with the stylus, the screen refreshed twice and nothing else happens. No reader opens. I am running software build 1.01 on my 1000s.

Thanks.
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #32
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreg View Post
I am new to the DR1000s and to FBreader, so perhaps I'm just doing something wrong, but i can't get Fbreader to work at all.

I extracted the entire contents of the zip to root level "Programs" folder on the DR1000 device. When I then use the device, I see the Programs folder containing all the files under "Documents".

I only see one file with a icon other than the many PNG files; There is an "FBReader with a "four leaf" icon with an arrow I take to be a shortcut type of thing. But when I click on this with the stylus, the screen refreshed twice and nothing else happens. No reader opens. I am running software build 1.01 on my 1000s.

Thanks.
On the DR, you shouldn't see any PNG files. Only the icon should appear. Try to download and extract it again. If that doesn't work, try extracting with a different program (7zip or winzip for example).
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #33
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Hmm, maybe you decompressed the folder or copied the contents over the wrong way somehow. On a computer, you should see an "_fbreader" folder (and perhaps metadata.db) inside of "Programs" on the root of your SD card.

On the DR1000, the "Programs" folder should appear to be empty other than the shortcut, PNG files or anything. Because the paths are hard-coded, the location and folder names need to be *exactly* like that.

For me, it worked without a problem. As a matter of fact, I moved the FBReader shortcut ONLY into /System/Desktop so it appears right away in the Home when I turn on the reader.

(Oops, looks like Adam beat me... slow wordy typist that I am -_-;)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #34
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Probably a silly question, however, When you "moved the shortcut" did you just drag & drop it on the PC? I tried to create a shortcut to the shortcut & that went belly up.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:22 AM   #35
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Probably a silly question, however, When you "moved the shortcut" did you just drag & drop it on the PC? I tried to create a shortcut to the shortcut & that went belly up.
You can do it on the PC. Just copy and paste it anywhere you like.
Advert
Old 11-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #36
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thank you, Howard
Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #37
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

To clarify further: the shortcuts on your reader are Linux-style shortcuts (ending in .desktop), which is why you have to drag & drop the shortcut file itself (as you mentioned) or copy & paste it (like Adam mentioned)

If you create the usual Windows/Mac-style shortcut, the reader won't know what to do with those.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:02 PM   #38
pthwaite
Fanatic

Thanks, I had already sussed out the shortcut names but was just checking I didn't have to create/make a new one to point to somewhere else. I have moved them now & just need to reboot & try it

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:13 PM   #39
fujiwat0601
fujiwat0601 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book Edition
mis posted.

Last edited by fujiwat0601; 11-07-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: mis post
fujiwat0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #40
kreg
kreg began at the beginning.

Device: DR 1000s
So thanks to everyone responsible for FBreader and for porting it to the DR. One thing though, on the FBreader documentation page, there really ought to be a picture of the icon bar with labels showing what each does. Many are described on that page--many are not.

Mostly I have had good luck with this on the DR with one issue--I cannot use it with the stylus turned off. Without the stylus, I can turn pages, but that's it. When I get to the end of a section, I cannot go to the next section, close the book or do anything but back up really by using the buttons.

Also, and this is not a big deal and is probably asking a lot, but a zoom feature would be great. Of course, arguably the device should provide that (like the Ipod-touch does yeah!). Documents containing graphics can be difficult to make out. But hey, it's a gigantic boost to usability for the DR, so thanks all!
kreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:10 PM   #41
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

For a solution for the next section issue, see this post.

I do plan to eventually move all the icons into the DR's menu system, but I have to do more research and spend a lot more time with it. FBReader was really just a good starting point for the first DR port.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:18 PM   #42
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
One thing though, on the FBreader documentation page, there really ought to be a picture of the icon bar with labels showing what each does. Many are described on that page--many are not.
See Visual Tour of FBReader on a Pepper Pad 3. Some of this is out of date, but the Pepper Pad 3 also uses the standard Linux Desktop version of FBReader (like the DR1000).

Quote:
Mostly I have had good luck with this on the DR with one issue--I cannot use it with the stylus turned off. Without the stylus, I can turn pages, but that's it. When I get to the end of a section, I cannot go to the next section, close the book or do anything but back up really by using the buttons.
It is possible to map "actions" to keys (Keys tab under the crossed tools icon). I don't know if the DR1000S has long and short key presses and if it distinguishes between the two up/down clusters, but you can experiment under the keys tab to see how many key options you have and take a look at the available actions.

Quote:
Also, and this is not a big deal and is probably asking a lot, but a zoom feature would be great. ... Documents containing graphics can be difficult to make out.
Graphic support is very basic in FBReader. Currently, Image Scaling is in the plans for "versions 0.9.*".
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #43
ghostwheel
Zealot
ghostwheel has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DBoox Max,Galaxy note 10.1 & 3,LE1700 tablet,sony PRS-500,iRex DR1000S
I got it to work. Very cool!

How hard would it be to port evince-gtk?
I'd really like to get a djvu reader....

Maybe I'll try.
ghostwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #44
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwheel View Post
I got it to work. Very cool!

How hard would it be to port evince-gtk?
I'd really like to get a djvu reader....

Maybe I'll try.
It doesn't appear to be to difficult to port. I have it running in the emulator.

Now getting it to work with the right file formats is a different issue...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #45
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man

Where does FBReader store its preferences & library information (beyond the actual book files)? I browsed the SD card, admittedly casually, but couldn't identify anything like .something file, maybe I missed it...