Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
JackieFrost
Banned
JackieFrost began at the beginning.

Device: Plain old Laptop!
I am going to buy the iliad from irex in a moment but...

Where is the standard cover for the iliad? It's nowhere to be found in the irex website (only the deluxe one...). And there isn't anything like a cover included in the contents of the box according to the site:
"the iLiad
stylus
travel hub
USB cable
power adapter
quick start card"

So I was looking for some advice as whether I should give the much maligned in these forums m edge cover instead.

(btw I am buying direct from these guys, I would have prefered to use user Tribble's online german store, but I had problems with declaring my non german company vat no. and I can't find Tribble here either...)

Shouldn't some kind of cover be included in the packaging? Should I just go for the m edge?
JackieFrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
AFAIK the ilLiad doesn't come with a cover, or does it?

I don't I ordered another one together with the iLIad and got it in the same box, so if there is a default cover I ignored it.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #3
JackieFrost
Banned

yeah but is there one...hmmm...
Old 07-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The V2 used to come with a shoulderbag, but that does not seem to be available any more. It wasn't much use in any case.

I have the M-Edge Executive (simulated leather) cover, which makes some controls harder to use but I like it anyway. You definitely need a cover.

Last edited by wallcraft; 07-09-2008 at 05:49 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The V2 used to come with a shoulderbag, but that does not seem to be available any more. It wasn't much use in any case.
how so wrt not much use? it has a reinforced front plate, and seems to do fine in any place i take it to
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
pauli
Groupie
pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.pauli equals 42.

Device: iLiad, DR1000S, HTC Hero, DR800SG
I would suggest to get the M-edge cover. This protects the display (which is sensitive) if you accidentally drop your device...

And if you are really (over)protective you might consider the aluminum cases suggested in this thread by DonRoboDroid: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24800

cheers!!
pauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
how so wrt not much use? it has a reinforced front plate, and seems to do fine in any place i take it to
There have been reports of broken screens from people who always used the shoulderbag. This isn't definiative evidence that there is anything wrong with the bag (there have probably been broken screens while inside a M-Edge too, although I have not seen any reports of this). I initially used no cover at home and the shoulderbag when traveling. I never had a problem, but I found it awkward to slide the iLiad in and out of the bag and the M-Edge protects the iLiad at all times - which I prefer.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
JackieFrost
Banned

Hey guys thanks for the great help, it explained a lot of things. I am getting a cover. If the m edge has these (minor or not so minor) issues would you suggest I get the deluxe cover instead?
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
JackieFrost
Banned

double post.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I've got the deluxe cover and like it. Some people complain about it though, probably because of how expensive it is.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I got the deluxe, I really like it.

The closing mechanism is not so handy, since if you are very unhandy, you could damage the screen with the metal ending... I guess thats what most complain about, it just wasn't brain on by the person who designed it. But this hasn't happen to me, and this means something All you have to do is to take care you don't have to snatch within instead of on the cover when closing it, and the bumping really hard on it ...
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
JackieFrost
Banned

hey shaggy, axel! Great help, thanks for sharing your experiences! I 'll probably go for the deluxe too.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Hi JackieFrost.

I just got my iLiad last week. I have the m-edge executive case and I like it. My only complaint is that the leather strap that holds it shut is a little too long, so the front of the case shifts around a bit.

My iLiad did come with the shoulder bag, though it wasn't listed on the site. I would avoid this. It is too big to fit the iLiad snuggly, and can barely fit an iLiad with the m-edge executive case (you have to fight with that too long strap to squeeze it in).

If I could change the width of one or the other a bit, they would make the almost perfect pair. Just need to find some way to store my cords.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #14
JackieFrost
Banned

Hey CleverClothe, that's some very enlightening information as the missing (but included nevertheless) shoulder bag spec and the m edge cover. Thanks and enjoy your iliad!