Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony T1, NSTx2
Literacy Programs and the Indie Author

My daughter saved up and bought an ereader. That is great because she was an apathetic reader at best and now that reading is merged with a tech gadget, it has given her a passion to read.

I've started to recommend stories I think she would enjoy. But, since her school uses the Accelerated Reader Program, she needs to focus on books that allow her to meet her reading goals. I've noticed that indie writers aren't well represented.

Of course, in 7 years she can read anything she wants. Until then, it feels that her reading choices are almost censored. Also, any system that penalizes will IMHO cause many to dislike reading.

Am I being "chicken little" here, or do others feel this method is flawed?
frogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i don't know about the accelerated reader program so all i can do is speak from my own experience. thank god i already had an interest in reading going into school because if my only real exposure to books was what i was forced to read, i would have quickly joined the 'haven't read a book since high school' club.

there's really no way around a school program, i'd simply do everything in my power to ensure that the school curriculum doesn't put a damper on her reading enjoyment outside of what's necessary for school. i think schools could definitely do more to foster exploration which is why i dislike things like 'summer reading lists'.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy
frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.frogi once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

A quick summary of AR: students have a set numeric goal, each book (in the program) has a point value. Student takes a quiz on the book and is awarded points in ratio to their success on the quiz.

I am working to find books I think she would enjoy. I truly believe that reading unlocks the intellect and imagination lying dormant in a person's mind. It just adds a frustrating layer of complexity to the matter for me to check potential books against this list to see if she will get credit for reading it.

And back to the title of the thread, I think this works against a lot of indie authors. I like a good story, and it seems that she also does. eBooks have opened up avenues for good stories to be available without "passing the grade" of publishers. Given the choice between a good story or literary purity, I will pick the good story.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogi View Post

I am working to find books I think she would enjoy. I truly believe that reading unlocks the intellect and imagination lying dormant in a person's mind. It just adds a frustrating layer of complexity to the matter for me to check potential books against this list to see if she will get credit for reading it.
I think turning reading into "work" is where the schools go wrong. When I was at school they used to confiscate books we wanted to read and force us to read boring books instead. Now that education has turned into a box-ticking exercise I would guess it's even worse now.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I think turning reading into "work" is where the schools go wrong. When I was at school they used to confiscate books we wanted to read and force us to read boring books instead. Now that education has turned into a box-ticking exercise I would guess it's even worse now.
as a 12,13 year old boy i wanted to read dragonlance and forgotten realms, not barbara kingsolver. pigs in heaven really didn't appeal to me. it still doesn't.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Wait, you enrolled your kid in a school-approved reading program, and you're upset that the reading list is censored? The fact that its school-approved should tell you everything about it.

Besides, if reading isn't hard work then where will schools get athletes to keep their trophy cases full?
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
frogi
Enthusiastic Apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Wait, you enrolled your kid in a school-approved reading program, and you're upset that the reading list is censored? The fact that its school-approved should tell you everything about it.
Actually, I enrolled my children in a public school. Since I don't have enough disposable income for private schools, this was a basic necessity. Maybe the options are a little less limited in your area
Old 04-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sounds like a neat system. I don't recall anything like that after the lower grades (where we had a color coded story snippet and quiz system). I don't figure something that broad is going to be easier to administer with indie writers. Don't schools get a massive discount from certain publishing houses?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogi View Post
Actually, I enrolled my children in a public school. Since I don't have enough disposable income for private schools, this was a basic necessity. Maybe the options are a little less limited in your area
Honestly, I didn't like reading because of the variety from a private school- there was actually less variety and less access to programs I would've killed to be able to get into. I developed a love of reading because the other kids were mean and immature, and it was easier to curl up on the bed with some D&D stuff than to have to chase baseballs all afternoon and evening.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote