Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The "Great Authors That Not Too Many People Know About" Thread

I want to start this off by hightly recommending Donald Harington, an Arkansan who has been compared to William Faulkner, but with his own special brand of humor.

Harington has written a series of books in the fictional town called Stay More. Theyy are very Southern Gothic and full of memorable characters.

I met him about 25 years ago, and he named me the Mayor of Stay More, because of my gushing admiration for him.

If you want to read a tender story of love between two cockroaches (an allegory, actually), try "The Cockroaches of Stay More." You'll be swept up in a tender story of blooming love and romance. In this wonderful novel, one meets Doc Swain and other characters from Harington's fertile imagination. One senses the true love he has for his characters.

For a different kind of story, one might try "Lightening Bug," a very Faulknerian novel that, thematically, reminds me of his "As I Lay Dying."

I'm only missing one or two of his novels, and have about 9 of them inscribed to me.

Harington's writing is beautiful and soaring, and full of wisdom and storytelling. It personally fills me with a deep sadness that he is no longer alive to write of that wonderful and mythical Southern town in Arkansas.

NOTE: These were available as ebooks (from Amazon; I didn't check other sources), but then were pulled due to horrendous formatting. It looks as if the bulk of his novels are going to be re-released August 4.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-23-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I want to start this off by hightly recommending Donald Harington, an Arkansan who has been compared to William Faulkner, but with his own special brand of humor.

Harington has written a series of books in the fictional town called Stay More. They very Southern Gothic and full of memorable characters.

I met him about 25 years ago, and named the Mayor of Stay More, because of my gushing admiration for him.

If you want to read a tender story of love between two cockroaches (an allegory, actually), try "The Cockroaches of Stay More." You'll be swept up in a tender story of blooming love and romance. In this wonderful novel, one meets Doc Swain and other characters from Harington's fertile imagination. One senses the true love he has for his characters.

For a different kind of story, one might try "Lightening Bug," a very Faulknerian novel that, thematically, reminds me of his "As I Lay Dying."

I'm only missing one or two of his novels, and have about 9 of them inscribed to me.

Harington's writing is beautiful and soaring, and full of wisdom and storytelling. It personally fills me with a deep sadness that he is no longer alive to write of that wonderful and mythical Southern town in Arkansas.

NOTE: These were available as ebooks (from Amazon; I didn't check other sources), but then were pulled due to horrendous formatting. It looks as if the bulk of his novels are going to be re-released August 4.

Don
Sounds good.

Glad to see you around, I haven't seen one of your posts in a while....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #3
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Sounds good.

Glad to see you around, I haven't seen one of your posts in a while....
Watch the forum flee market.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
melaniejaxn
Enthusiast
melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'melaniejaxn knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
A lot of foreign writers are overlooked. Two wonderful Spanish writers are Carlos Ruiz Zafon (slightly gothic thrillers set in the Spanish Civil Wat) and Arturo Perez Reverte (historical thrillers). Translations are excellent so there is no awkwardness that sometimes happens with other books.
melaniejaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My nomination is Donald Jack, a Canadian humorist. I only discovered him recently, while trolling for works with a World War I theme. Jack is best known for his series of novels known as the Bandy papers, about a WWI ace named Bartholomew Bandy. The fans of Wodehouse and those who like to see WWI skewered will find much enjoyment here.

There are nine Bandy novels. I've finished the first three and have reached the end of the war, so next will be to find out what Bandy gets up to in the 1920s. Annoyingly, only the third, fourth and sixth novels seem to be available in ebook, but perhaps the Canadians have access to more of them. But I have to say that I ran the name of Donald Jack by a Canadian friend and she was clueless.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #6
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I say David Eddings - it still amazes me how much Fantasy fans haven't read him.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Grant Callin. Wrote two amazing science fiction books, Saturnalia and The Lion on Tharthee (sequel to Saturnalia).

Great characters, wonderful stories, excellent humor and one of the most original alien political systems I have every come across.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
rjnagle
Zealot
rjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it isrjnagle knows what time it is

Device: ipad 1, Nook Simple Touch, Kindle 3, ebookwise 1150
Let me see, I'm a huge fan of Jack Matthews whom I interviewed a few years ago. http://www.ghostlypopulations.com/20...jack-matthews/

He's published a lot of short stories and novels, all are wonderful. I'm writing a book about him and helping him to convert his out-of-print titles to ebook. His how-to book on writing (which I helped him to publish) is great http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/work...ews/1100572933 and in fact, in about a week, I'll post on MR how to download a free DRM-free way to download this guide. (If you don't check MR often, send me an email idiotprogrammer at gmail.com and I'll let you know when I post the announcement).

Lately, I've been a fan of Christopher Morley, definitely an underappreciated author. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...r_id&query=109 Haunted Bookshelf which I'm now reading is great (and free).. His best stuff is not public domain yet though.

Also, John Kendrick Bangs, a witty 19th century metafictional author http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...r_id&query=979
rjnagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
R Scott Bakker. The Prince of Nothing trilogy is brilliant IMO.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
purple_fishy
Zealot
purple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolatepurple_fishy is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook STR, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniejaxn View Post
A lot of foreign writers are overlooked. Two wonderful Spanish writers are Carlos Ruiz Zafon (slightly gothic thrillers set in the Spanish Civil Wat) and Arturo Perez Reverte (historical thrillers). Translations are excellent so there is no awkwardness that sometimes happens with other books.
I second Carlos Ruiz Zafon. His books are AMAZING.
purple_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Can't think of an author to add offhand, but really enjoying reading the thread! Taking lots of notes!

Thanks!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
For horror fans, Tim Curran is disgustingly underrated. He has his hands in everything from post-apocalyptic to Lovecraftian to zombies and horror westerns. Everything I've read of his has been fantastic and I'm surprised that barely any horror fans know of him.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
For horror fans, Tim Curran is disgustingly underrated. He has his hands in everything from post-apocalyptic to Lovecraftian to zombies and horror westerns. Everything I've read of his has been fantastic and I'm surprised that barely any horror fans know of him.

Just bought a Curran title, because of your recommendation.

If I don't like it, I'm going to send my vampire turtle after you!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
+2 with Don!

Just grabbed "Biohazard" from Curran. Better be good or this doggie might nip at your heels xg4bx.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:31 AM   #15
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
OK now you got me curious, especially after reading some excerpts on Amazon. There's quite a few books. Are there any of his you consider a good place to start?
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote