Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
DavidGreen
DavidGreen began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook IQ
Pocketbook IQ701 with epub

Just today I have changed eReader from Hanlin V5 to Pocketbook IQ 701.

I have many epubs created from cbz (Comic book archives) and when I loaded them up on the IQ701 I was very surprised to see the page image occupying only 1/4 of the screen given that both devices have 800x600 screens, and the epub file contains png files of around that size.

I am currently rebuilding the epub files using the "tablet" output profile which does give a full page epub file. I am just surprised that the original files are not already suitable.
I have noticed also that the resultant epub is greyscale and not colour.

Is it known why the page image size is so different, or why the colour is removed?

Also, there used to be a bug in Calibre when you did a bulk conversion of cbz to epub that the "right to left" option was ignored. I haven't tried this lately, so I am not sure if it is still present.
DavidGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Moderator Notice
Moved thread to correct forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGreen View Post
Is it known why the page image size is so different, or why the colour is removed?
You might want to check that the previous output profile you used did indeed scale images to 600px*800px. Even if the device that profile is intended for has those screen dimensions, the profile may force a change to a smaller image size due to the device then displaying the images better.
As for the greyscale problem, look in the comic input preferences, there should be an option there to disable conversion to grayscale.

Quote:
Also, there used to be a bug in Calibre when you did a bulk conversion of cbz to epub that the "right to left" option was ignored. I haven't tried this lately, so I am not sure if it is still present.
This could be a problem with stored per-book conversion settings. Check to see if you have set a different option in the books' conversion settings.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I could be wrong but I think the key for image size is DPI and your 701 must have a higher DPI then your Hanlin V5.

Also for many moons the output defaulted to greyscale, now you have a choice and the default is 256 colors. check the Comic input for this setting.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I could be wrong but I think the key for image size is DPI and your 701 must have a higher DPI then your Hanlin V5.

Also for many moons the output defaulted to greyscale, now you have a choice and the default is 256 colors. check the Comic input for this setting.
You had me

How can DPI for a 600x800 be different? When the device always scales images based upon DPI.

The V5 will display pictures direct from my 7.1Mp camera (I just popped the SD card into the slot). Pictures are scaled to fit the screen, in glorious 16 level Greyscale
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Pictures are scaled to fit the screen, in glorious 16 level Greyscale
Bah, humbug: I have four grey levels (count'em!) and I'm happy with'em!
Advert
Old 05-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Bah, humbug: I have four grey levels (count'em!) and I'm happy with'em!
4 Levels was why I did not get the bigger V3 (The V3+ fixed that issue after I bought my PEz)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 AM   #7
DavidGreen

Thanks

Thanks all for the responses.

I found the option for the colour. I'll admit I was surprised to see it as "Disable conversion to black and white".

I am still running into a image size issue though. The tablet device profile I selected is not supposed to rescale the images, but the png in the source document was 892x1400 8bit colour and the resultant image is 556x718 24bit colour. There doesn't appear to be a dpi attribute for png.

And maybe Pocketbook's reader is doing it's own image rescaling as well. Even an image at 718px should be filling most of the screen instead of only a quarter of it.

A custom output profile may need to be created. I don't know yet if this is something we can attempt ourselves of if someone at Calibre HQ has to do. But without it, there is no consistancy in the appearance of the resultant epubs. Some work and some don't, and I haven't spotted what the cause of the variance is yet.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:34 AM   #8
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
A custom output profile may need to be created. I don't know yet if this is something we can attempt ourselves of if someone at Calibre HQ has to do. But without it, there is no consistancy in the appearance of the resultant epubs. Some work and some don't, and I haven't spotted what the cause of the variance is yet.
Since the full source to Calibre is provided, plus instructions on how to set up to run from source anyone could do this (skills permitting).
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
DavidGreen

After some considerable testing of various device options, and I pulled apart the resultant epub files, there was little more than to conclude that problem must lie with Pocketbook's eReader software.

With text content books, there is no problem, but with comic books, there is an issue with the image sizing of each page. The only reliable option would appear to be a device driver to resize comic pages to an image size to suit the reader software so that it doesn't mess it up.

The solution was eventually obvious. Don't use Calibre to convert Comic books to epub, since the Pocketbook IQ701 is an Android device, use an Android application to read the comic book source files (.cbz) directly.

Obviously this is not as streamlined as it was with the Hanlin V5, but using a different application for each book type is least a working solution.

I was considering putting in a request for a Pocketbook IQ701 driver to be developed, and maybe if there is further demand for it, maybe it could be done, but for now, a solution is available.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
I was considering putting in a request for a Pocketbook IQ701 driver to be developed, and maybe if there is further demand for it, maybe it could be done, but for now, a solution is available.
If you're talking about a device interface plugin for Calibre, that should be available from what I see in the manual. If not, see this FAQ entry.
If you'd like a new output profile for the device that resizes images to a size not available in the current profiles, just go ahead and request it. You should make sure that the size you're asking for doesn't break things like cover sizes or similar, though.