Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
gumhead
gumhead doesn't littergumhead doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3
Can't load books from pc to kindle 3

I purchased a book from amazon.com to my computer (kindle on pc app) and then attempted to drag drop into kindle 3 via usb. The file drags and drops ok but doesn't show up on my kindle it only appears in the archives which needs me to use wifi etc....I want to download to pc then to kindle with usb (avoid wifi/3g I'm in canada).....the other thing is the book in my computer file is string of code ie B0001S----ebook.......very strange.....any thoughts

thanks
gumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Did you put it in the folder ' documents' ?
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
gumhead

sure did

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
Did you put it in the folder ' documents' ?
Yes I just drag and drop from my folder on my pc and drop it straight into the folder on my kindle device it just doesn't show up unless i use the wifi/3g...
Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Look here under Downloading archived items without wireless: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...200375630&#usb

In order to download to your computer, you don't use the Kindle PC program, you just download the book to your computer and then drag it to the documents folder of your Kindle.

Jim

Last edited by Strether; 10-18-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
gumhead

Ordering book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Look here under Downloading archived items without wireless:

In order to download to your computer, you don't use the Kindle PC program, you just download the book to your computer and then drag it to the documents folder of your Kindle.

Jim
When I order from the web site (Amazon) it asks where to download book ie my kindle, kindle for pc kindle for mac etc It end up in a file called kindle content I then just drag it to my kindle but it doesn't show up on the kindle forcing me to sync with whispernet which I am trying to avoid....

Last edited by gumhead; 10-18-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumhead View Post
the other thing is the book in my computer file is string of code ie B0001S----ebook.......very strange.....any thoughts
thanks
What file format is showing on your computer? I should think it would be a .azw file if you purchased/downloaded it from the Amazon site, and it should (in my limited experience) have the title of the book in the file name, such as "wuthering_heights.azw," not just a string of code.

And, as stated by desertblues, you can't just drop the file on the Kindle icon in "My Computer," you need to open the kindle so its list of files/folders is showing and then drop your eBook file into the "documents" folder on the Kindle.

Holly
Edit - I took too long to write my answer - several other people beat me to it! Anyway, your problem does seem a bit odd. Whenever I have downloaded a book to my PC for transfer via USB cable, the book immediately shows up on my home page. Whispernet doesn't need to be on and nothing needs to be synced. But then, I don't use Kindle4PC - I just downloaded a book from Amazon to my PC instead of just getting it directly downloaded to my Kindle; Amazon did ask "Please choose which Kindle you plan to transfer your item to via USB" but that is it. Maybe Amazon needs to sync your books because you are using them on your PC via Kindle4PC and also on your Kindle, two separate devices??

Last edited by OakIris; 10-18-2010 at 01:59 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
What file format is showing on your computer? I should think it would be a .azw file if you purchased/downloaded it from the Amazon site, and it should (in my limited experience) have the title of the book in the file name, such as "wuthering_heights.azw," not just a string of code.

Holly
Not always. Interestingly enough, sometimes the books from Amazon show a number/letter code, like this

B003G83UBE

You can rightclick and rename it tho.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
gumhead

Hummmm

Quote:

And, as stated by desertblues, you can't just drop the file on the Kindle icon in "My Computer," you need to open the kindle so its list of files/folders is showing and then drop your eBook file into the "documents" folder on the Kindle.

Holly
I understand that I need to open the drive on my computer and access the files I am opening the drive marked as kindle going to the folder called documents opening it ( I can see othe kindle books already in there. I am then drag ing the purchased book into the folder and it shows as being there on the computer drive but not when I eject the kindle and go to home page. The new book is not there....I thought it was strange that the book is showing as B00036ebook.....but when I use the wifi/3g its fine .....
Old 10-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #9
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Not always. Interestingly enough, sometimes the books from Amazon show a number/letter code, like this

B003G83UBE

You can rightclick and rename it tho.
Oh! I didn't realize this; I do indeed have a lot to learn about this new-to-me eBooks world.

That naming methodology seems a bit annoying - must be "amazon-speak!" This would force me to download one book at a time instead of downloading several in one session so that I could immediately rename the file to correspond with the book title. Since I live in the US, I have the luxury of just using Whispernet to download directly from Amazon. Other sites that I have used to download eBooks to my PC, including here on MobileRead, have all had the courtesy to have the title included in the file name.

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 10-18-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You can't drag and drop files from the Kindle store between Kindle devices. They're locked to that specific device even if you've got the same account on all of them. You have to redownload it via archived items, get it sent to that device using the Manage my Kindle page or download it via Manage my Kindle for that specific device and transfer via USB.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I would just use calibre. Alternately, can't you just put the file in your "My Kindle Contents" (usually in My Documents)?

Calibre will rename your files to something useful when you put them in the library.

When you look at the files on your Kindle, do you have your view options set up to view hidden files and folders?
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

The filenames are weird because you're not supposed to mess with those files directly. It has the internal Amazon ID number as the filename. If you download the files from the Manage my Kindle page for a device then it will have a human readable filename.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #13
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumhead View Post
I understand that I need to open the drive on my computer and access the files I am opening the drive marked as kindle going to the folder called documents opening it ( I can see othe kindle books already in there. I am then drag ing the purchased book into the folder and it shows as being there on the computer drive but not when I eject the kindle and go to home page. The new book is not there....I thought it was strange that the book is showing as B00036ebook.....but when I use the wifi/3g its fine .....
I edited my original post because others had already checked with you about the download location before I submitted my post. I also added a possible reason why you have to sync via wifi before the eBook transferred from your PC shows up on the Kindle- perhaps Amazon considers the Kindle4PC as a second device (you are reading the book on your PC) so wants you to sync your purchases with the actual Kindle eReader. Just a guess!

Holly

Edit:
@ gumhead: Once again I have taken too long with my answer!! I think Tierstan's post points to your problem and what you need to do to have the books show on your Kindle:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
You can't drag and drop files from the Kindle store between Kindle devices. They're locked to that specific device even if you've got the same account on all of them. You have to redownload it via archived items, get it sent to that device using the Manage my Kindle page or download it via Manage my Kindle for that specific device and transfer via USB.

Last edited by OakIris; 10-18-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru

Log into the Manage my Kindle page. Go to the "Your Orders" section which is near the bottom. Select "Transfer via computer..." in the "Deliver to..." dropdown list that is next to the item you want. Click Download to computer and save the file somewhere. Once it has finished download then you can copy that file onto your Kindle into the documents directory.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #15
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
perhaps Amazon considers the Kindle4PC as a second device (you are reading the book on your PC)
Yup. Every real Kindle and Kindle for phone/computer application counts as a separate device and any file you download from the Kindle store is locked to that specific device. You can't transfer Kindle store files between them yourself.

It would be easier for Amazon to have just made it locked to an account but I guess this method is more secure and also allows them to impose limits on number of devices if necessary.