Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 AM   #16
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
I saw this in the Next catalogue - was surprised. I wondered (completely idly) whether it was any good and who actually makes it for them.

My girlfriend's comment was, 'who would want a computer with 'NEXT' written on the front in big letters?'
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 AM   #17
pphilipp
Addict
pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.pphilipp can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Apple iPad 3 (I have owned many other tablets)
First, you can't expect iPad quality for the price. Actually, I haven't seen any cheap Android device which is delivering iPad-level hardware... none stack up. I know all too well since I own two Androids and have handled many more. They're just not there yet, period.

Second, the reviewer seems to be intentionally making the Next look worse than it is. Example: his nonresponsive finger strikes on the screen. So what? Again, the iPad's true capacitive screen is about the only tablet screen I've used that is quite accurate. I have played with dozens of other slate devices and most are only somewhat accurate at best. Even the multitude of devices shown on Youtube show similar results for sub-L200 units.

Come on. Give this device an accurate review. I'm sure it's in league with most other devices in it's price range.
My experience with Android as an OS on large tablet devices (not as a phone OS), indicates it has a long way to go. The reviewer also seems to state that. It's not just the Next device, most (all?) other large Android devices seem to not be implemented very well. The reviewer is correct in stating that Apple has a real advantage in controlling both the OS and the hardware, where the Android devices are a hit and miss consortium where the OS and the hardware aren't really on the same wavelength. Google doesn't even defend this fact and seem to wipe their hands from any criticism these devices are garnishing.

My personal feelings are: if I'm not spending the same money for an Android slate as I would for an Apple iPad, then I really shouldn't expect the same quality from it as what I would from the iPad.
Bottom line: you get what you pay for.

Last edited by pphilipp; 10-20-2010 at 10:36 AM.
pphilipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert