Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Guide for Adding Fonts to PRS-350

I know this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ighlight=fonts

already exists, but, my brain is spinning after looking through the thread and PDF. In addition, I don't know if this is the case, but it seems to be more geared towards the 505 and not the 350, the difference being that the 350 doesn't have any external memory options, etc.

Is there a simple guide, anywhere, to change the fonts to something preferable on the 350, for someone like myself who uses Calibre (versus someone using the Sony software, or anything else for that matter)? Would the following work?

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...a-sony-reader/

I'm TERRIFIED of breaking something, and rendering my reader unusable. ANY help in the right direction here would be GREATLY appreciated.
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The simple guide will work in most cases and it will not cause any problems with your 350.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
JohnnyRocks
Zealot
JohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-booksJohnnyRocks has learned how to read e-books

Device: PocketBook 360
Out of curiosity, you said "most" cases. When will it NOT work?
JohnnyRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...a-sony-reader/

I'm TERRIFIED of breaking something, and rendering my reader unusable. ANY help in the right direction here would be GREATLY appreciated.
That url is the info I used when I started changing the fonts. It's pretty concise and to the point, and gives exact info what you need to do without having to struggle through all the technical info behind the process or 100 posts. The only change you make on your reader is to add a new directory named "fonts" and to place the fonts you want to use in that directory. That can't possibly break anything on your reader.

Just make sure the info you add to the Extra CSS box names the fonts you transferred to the reader exactly and it should work for most books.

When it won't work (but still will *not* break anything), is when just changing the Extra CSS isn't enough to get rid of all the font calls from the book you're trying to change. How I get around that easily is to right click the title in the Calibre Library window. Select Tweak ePub, then click on Explode ePub. That will bring up an explorer window with all the various files included in the book. Open the file that ends in .css in whatever editor you prefer (I prefer PSPad, have used it for years and love it, and it's free). Search for any reference to a font type, usually listed as "font-family" and change the font they specify to the font you want instead. It might be listed in quite a few locations within the file, search for them all and replace it. Such as:

Code:
In file named stylesheet1.css, find:
font-family: "Times New Roman";

I changed that line to read:
font-family: "LexiaDaMa";
The file might be named a bit differently but it will always end in .css.

Save the file with your changes and close PSPad, then click on "Rebuild ePub" from the Calibre small window still open. And you're done. Upload the book to your Sony reader and enjoy your new font.

Edit: Be sure to always have quotes around the font name, or else the reader will still load the default. I was going crazy trying to figure out why one book still always displayed the default Sony font and realized I left the quotes off one of the dozen or so font calls in the .css file. Added the quotes and it finally worked.

Last edited by Ripplinger; 02-23-2011 at 05:20 PM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi, I just answered your pm. It looks like you already found the link I had sent you. As the others said, it does work. I hope you get the font you want. Now, if I am reading something with the standard font, I get annoyed and want my font back, lol. Have fun playing!

Jodi
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
I've gone down the Boroda hack route on my 350. Worked a treat - all my epubs now display in fontin font.

I did have my 505 as a backup just in case something went wrong, though!

look at this thread for Boroda info:-
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ghlight=boroda

particularly at post #14 by Induna - and obviously, make sure you get the 350 software/boroda hack - it ran fine on my windows desktop.

The e-book resder blog CSS method is safer for a start, but the Boroda does work great on a 350....

Coops
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
JohnnyRocks - Here is a link to a fantastic simple guide that jswinden created. I use this method because it doesn't mess with the firmware. See the PDF attached to the first post. If you follow the thread, then you'll see from the dialogue that his simple guide was the source of the blog link that you posted. The PDF file also explains when you might need to change the font-family on more than just the body tag and a few methods to do so. Sometimes it is easier to edit the file using the free program called Sigil than to tweak the EPUB in calibre. Hope that helps!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98618
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRocks View Post
Out of curiosity, you said "most" cases. When will it NOT work?
Probably if there is a problem with a given font. But I've never had an issue.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote