Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Well, it could have been worse

I took a nasty spill at work today - stepped off the curb in the parking lot wrong and fell headlong onto the pavement. Lots of nasty scrapes and bruises, but the worst of it was that my PRS-505, which was in my purse, would not turn on afterward. The power switch is loose and doesn't spring back like it's supposed to.

Got home and hooked it up to the computer, which powered it up, and the screen is, thank the Lord, not damaged at all. So I set it to never go to sleep and will just keep it charged up and on all the time.

I was almost in tears over it - it's amazing how attached to this thing I've gotten in the 5 months I've had it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OMG! You are lucky not to be hurt worse! Girl, you need to get you some chocolate and coffee and sit down and read until you feel better!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
So glad you are OK and it really wasn't worse. I've done the same thing in high heels stepping off the curb into a hole.

I'll share my emergency stash of dark chocolate.
Click image for larger version

Name:	leonidas-chocolate_2056_3709234.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	35082

I have found a thread (Dropped 505, Now Power Switch Broken) about a broken power button that may help fix it. I hope you can get it to work as having to charge it all the time would be a pain.

**humm, I wonder if I made that easy to notice for anyone**
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
You can remove the top plastic edge on the 505 and re-seat the power switch. I believe there are some pictures and instructions here on disassembling the 505. Worth a try--it shouldn't hurt anything. Glad your screen is OK!!!!!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, ladies. I don't drink coffee, but I'll take the chocolate.

The ironic thing is that I was on my way to buy some chocolate when I fell.

Thanks for the advice, too. I don't have a scredriver small enough to remove the screws, but when I get one, I'll make the attempt.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
heatherc
Enthusiast
heatherc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Good luck!
heatherc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
I don't have a scredriver small enough to remove the screws
Stop in your local pharmacy & get an eyeglass repair kit...it includes an extremely small screwdriver. If that is too small, stop into a mom & pop computer store & see if a kindly tech would use his itsy bitsy screwdriver set he most likely HAS & open the case for you. Most geeky guys are more than happy to help out with little oddities if they're not too busy.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Sorry to hear about your accident But yay for your 505 not broken! I broke my first reader dropping it onto my FOOT. Very sad. Hopefully the tips people have given you will work on the power switch!
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I got rear ended in a traffic accident last year and the first thing I did was check to make sure my reader was okay (it was). Then I got out of the car to check for damage. Oh, and the, I made sure I was okay.

Anyway, glad to hear you and your reader are okay
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #10
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Oh, I'm so sorry for you! As PennyPie said, there are good chances a nice guy in a computer store could help you freely, mostly if you walk in the store with puppy eyes.

Good luck!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #11
khalleron
Kate

Thanks, you all.

I went to the dollar store and bought an eyeglass repair kit. The fix took maybe five minutes, tops, thanks to the helpful people here at MR.

So, with only a very slight ding, my reader works as good as new!

You all are lovely!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #12
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verencat View Post
Oh, I'm so sorry for you! As PennyPie said, there are good chances a nice guy in a computer store could help you freely, mostly if you walk in the store with puppy eyes.

Good luck!
LOL. I don't *do* puppy eyes. I'm that woman everyone looks at and goes, "Eh, she can handle it."

Usually, they're right, too.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
You made me glad that I ordered a cover for my new reader - I got the Executive (real leater) from Amazon (m-edge)at US $14 on sale - it even has a nice pocket for my ipod, so I can easily carry it with my library.

I'm glad you aren't hurt! About 8 years ago I did a similar tumble while carrying my IBook - CD drive was ruined, so I know the feeling. We DO love our babies, even if they are electronic!
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma Aubbie View Post
You made me glad that I ordered a cover for my new reader - I got the Executive (real leater) from Amazon (m-edge)at US $14 on sale - it even has a nice pocket for my ipod, so I can easily carry it with my library.

I'm glad you aren't hurt! About 8 years ago I did a similar tumble while carrying my IBook - CD drive was ruined, so I know the feeling. We DO love our babies, even if they are electronic!

I did have it in the M-edge Executive cover - I think that's why the screen wasn't damaged, just the top edge corner slightly, knocking the little plastic dohickey loose.

All better now - at least the Sony. It's going to take my knees a week or two to recover.

Of course, I was most concerned about the Sony. My knees can heal themselves.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #15
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
I did have it in the M-edge Executive cover - I think that's why the screen wasn't damaged, just the top edge corner slightly, knocking the little plastic dohickey loose.
Great to know it saved your e-reader; I got one, too, and hopefully it works for me that way now, too!

Hopefully your knee gets better asap.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote