Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Looks like nook 1.7 is out

1.7 is out and fixes the SDcard issue.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/...80270#U1080270

B&N still won't tell what they added to 1.6 and 1.7 for some reason.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Does anyone else find it strange that B&N won't tell you what they updated?

Do you think they're tracking you better, or is there a security vulnerability they're fixing that they don't want anyone to know about until they get everyone patched.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
I ain't updatin if they ain't tellin
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Does anyone else find it strange that B&N won't tell you what they updated?
Not particularly, no.

Quote:
Do you think they're tracking you better, or is there a security vulnerability they're fixing that they don't want anyone to know about until they get everyone patched.
I find it rather more likely that it's a bug fix update, with no changes that the user will notice.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
Not particularly, no.

I find it rather more likely that it's a bug fix update, with no changes that the user will notice.
Well, on the official B&N forums they won't even comment on whether it's a bug fix release. I'm half tempted to do a network trace and see what the nook is doing now.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #6
apastuszak
Evangelist

Ok, someone on reddit made an interesting comment. 1.6/1.7 may have added support for an upcoming rumored web portal called mynook.com, and that is why they can't discuss it.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:24 AM   #7
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
It fixes the SD Card issues with 1.6.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Well, on the official B&N forums they won't even comment on whether it's a bug fix release. I'm half tempted to do a network trace and see what the nook is doing now.
I predict that we won't hear back from you on this. This could be because you don't bother to do so, or it could be because you do, and don't find anything damning for B&N when you do.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
I predict that we won't hear back from you on this. This could be because you don't bother to do so, or it could be because you do, and don't find anything damning for B&N when you do.
Giving me a challenge, are you?

Actually my problem was that I didn't take a trace before I did the update to 1.6, so I have no baseline to compare it against.

Both the nook and kindle are very chatty back to home servers, so it would be difficult for me to see if the activity and what is reported about your reading habits has increased with this update.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
B&N still won't tell what they added to 1.6 and 1.7 for some reason.
They've definitely updated the epub manuals that are in there. They've adjusted the terms there, returns etc (nothing to worry about as they've added on top "THE ACTUAL TERMS OF YOUR WARRANTY ARE THE TERMS THAT WERE IN EFFECT AS OF THE DATE OF YOUR PURCHASE, WHICH MAY BE DIFFERENT THAN THE TERMS SET FORTH HEREIN."). Perhaps b&n lawyers thought it was enough to push the update (that's the diff btwn 1.5 and 1.6. diff btwn 1.6 and 1.7 is obviously sdhc fix)
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM   #11
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
I won't update until I know what it does. The fact that they won't say, is extremely bothersome - it implies that there is more than bug fixing that is going on or a simple provision to deal with web site changes.
bearymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Assuming the new update doesn't do anything noxious, is it safe to update a rooted Nook? Has anyone tried it?
bearymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #13
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I don't mean to interrupt this tin foil hat party, but I'm curious what exactly do you think BN is secretly conspiring to do to you guys in this update?
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you people the same people that think the moon landing was faked and that 9/11 is a government conspiracy and was perpetrated by the US Government?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Pretty sure I saw a Facebook post on the nook discussions page where someone was still having SD card problems after updating to v1.7. And I think I saw a post about same elsewhere, possibly the BN forums, I'd have to go look to be sure.

I think I'll stay off WiFi for a bit myself until I hear more and find out if the issue truly *is* fixed before updating my nook.

If anyone who had card access hosed can confirm the update to v1.7 fixed it, I'd love to know!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote