Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 02-10-2008, 08:32 AM   #196
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, I do need a new Windows binary. I do use html2mobi. So please come up with a new Windows edition for those of us using Windows. It isn't fair that Windows users get stuck with 2 versions behind.
I will eventually but since there is a lot of trouble for me to produce the Windows version (I have to reboot my computer and loose all the Linux setup) I am not willing to do it too often. If you are using html2mobi and always have a cover image then there are no changes in version 0.0.28 that concerns you.

If somebody else would like to volonteer to produce Windows binaries please feel free to do so. My mobiperl web page give all the information needed to set it up and the Makefile in the distribution contains targets to build things in Windows using nmake.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 AM   #197
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
DMcCunney:

My text editor 'Textpad' does recognize the difference between PC and Unix line endings. As tompe points out, it is just one (long) line.

tompe:

For ease I list the perl script that converts .html to .IMP formats, here:

Code:
#!/perl/bin/perl -w
#
# Adapted by Nick Rapallo (January 2008)
#
# Modified code taken directly from "SBPubX.doc" (installed by the eBook Publisher
# software).  Given a single .html it creates .opf project file for later use as well
# as .IMP for REB 1200; can change the latter to GEB/EBW 1150 or REB 1100 by
# uncommenting the {BuildTarget} lines below.

package main;
use Win32::OLE;
use Win32::OLE qw(EVENTS);
Win32::OLE->Initialize(Win32::OLE::COINIT_APARTMENTTHREADED);

$usage='Html2imp.pl Authorname Title Category htmlfilename';
die "Usage:  $usage\n" if $#ARGV != 3;

###################################################################
#
# get the interfaces, complain and quit if we cannot
#
$project = Win32::OLE->new("SBPublisher.Project") or
	die "Unable to get IProject interface\n";

$builder = Win32::OLE->new("SBPublisher.Builder") or
	die "Unable to get IBuilder interface\n";

# Setup the event handling.
#
Win32::OLE->WithEvents($builder, 'EventHandlers');

#
# Create a new project and add our document file with optional cover.
#
$project->ClearAll();
#$project->AddSourceFile("cover.htm");
$project->AddSourceFile($ARGV[3]);

#
# Set the various "metadata" items for the publication
#
$project->{AuthorFirstName} = $ARGV[0];
$project->{BookTitle}       = $ARGV[1];
$project->{Category}        = $ARGV[2];
#$project->{ISBN} = $project->CanonicalizeISBN("0448163004 ");
#$project->{BISAC} = "FIC004000";

#
# Now build the OEBFF output
#
$project->{OutputDirectory} = ".";
$project->{Compress}        = 1;   #True
$project->{Encrypt}         = 0;   #False
$project->{KeepAnchors}     = 1;   #True
$project->{Language}        = "en";
$project->{RequireISBN}     = 0;   #False
$project->{Zoom}            = 2;

#
# Now build the REB 1200 (FullVga) .IMP output
#$project->{BookFileName}    = $ARGV[3] . "_1200";
#$project->{BookFileName}    = $ARGV[0] . " - " . $ARGV[1] . "_1200";
#$project->Save($ARGV[3] . "_1200.opf");
#$project->Save($ARGV[0] . " - " . $ARGV[1] . "_1200.opf");
#
#$project->{BuildTarget}     = 1;
#
# Now generate both the OEBFF and/or .IMP output
#$builder->GenerateOEBFF($project, 1);
#$builder->Build($project);
#if (Win32::OLE->LastError() != 0) {
#	print "ERROR: GenerateOEBFF/Build method failed for REB 1200.\n";
#} else {
#	print "REB 1200 ebook created!\n";
#}

#
# Now (optionally) build the EBW/GEB 1150 (gray HalfVga) .IMP output
#
#$project->{BookFileName}    = $ARGV[3];
$project->{BookFileName}    = $ARGV[0] . " - " . $ARGV[1];
#$project->Save($ARGV[3] . ".opf");
$project->Save($ARGV[0] . " - " . $ARGV[1] . ".opf");
#
$project->{BuildTarget} = 2;
#
# Now generate both the OEBFF and/or .IMP output
#$builder->GenerateOEBFF($project, 1);
$builder->Build($project);
if (Win32::OLE->LastError() != 0) {
	print "ERROR: GenerateOEBFF/Build method failed for EBW 1150.\n";
} else {
	print "EBW 1150 ebook created!\n";
}

#
# Now (optionally) build the REB 1100 (mono HalfVGA) .RB output
#
#$project->{BookFileName}    = $ARGV[3];
#$project->{BookFileName}    = $ARGV[0] . " - " . $ARGV[1];
#$project->Save($ARGV[3] . ".opf");
#$project->Save($ARGV[0] . " - " . $ARGV[1] . ".opf");
#
#$project->{BuildTarget} = 3;
#
# Now generate the .RB output
#$builder->Build($project);
#if (Win32::OLE->LastError() != 0) {
#	print "ERROR: Build method failed for REB 1100.\n";
#} else {
#	print "REB 1100 ebook created!\n";
#}

Win32::OLE->Uninitialize();

#
# Event Handlers
#
package EventHandlers;

sub OnBuildStart()
{
	my ($project, @args) = @_;
#	print "Beginning validation...\n";
}

sub OnSourceStart()
{
	my ($builder, $filename, @args) = @_;
#	print "Parsing $filename...\n";
}

sub OnError()
{
	# Get the arguments
	my ($builder,
		$filename, 
		$msg, 
		$line, 
		$col, 
		$severity, 
		@args) = @_;

my @severities = ("NOTE", "FATAL ERROR", "ERROR", "WARNING");

if ($filename =~ m/^.+[\\|\/](.+?)$/) { $filename = $1; }

# Print out the error message including any NOTE feedback.
	# To ignore Warnings, change below to: if ($severity < 3)
	if ($severity >= 0)
	{
		printf(" %-15s (L:%6d, C:%6d) %-7s:",
			$filename,
			$line,
			$col,
			$severities[$severity]);

print " $msg\n";
	}
}
My perl script can be found in the Fictionwise eBookwise forum, under a posting entitled "Using perl scripts to produce .IMP ebooks and more... " (see link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20050 ) - i hope this works

The actual perl script 'html2imp.pl' is an attachment located at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...2&d=1202084852 . The .zip file in the first posting there has everything you need.

You must have installed the (free) eBook Publisher software from http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/sup...r_download.htm for the interface calls to work. I do not check for that explicitly, but I could add that to the script if you think it will be useful.

I'm just learning to program in perl. Most of the code was adapted from example code in the documentation that comes with the eBook Publisher.

One word of caution, the eBook Publisher software used to produce .IMP ebooks is 'fussy' and doesn't support all html tags. My work-around includes filtering/changing those troublesome via hand-editing. I could try to incorporate all of this within 'html2imp.pl'.

I would really like it if you could incorporate this in your Mobiperl!!!

-Nick
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #198
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I will eventually but since there is a lot of trouble for me to produce the Windows version (I have to reboot my computer and loose all the Linux setup) I am not willing to do it too often. If you are using html2mobi and always have a cover image then there are no changes in version 0.0.28 that concerns you.

If somebody else would like to volonteer to produce Windows binaries please feel free to do so. My mobiperl web page give all the information needed to set it up and the Makefile in the distribution contains targets to build things in Windows using nmake.
Quote:
Fixed the substituion of mbppagebreak that was done wrongly
That fix right there might very well concern me. I cannot say until I see the new version and how the HTML from it works with html2lrf and/or Book Designer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 AM   #199
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Yes, please provide Windows binaries at your earliest convenience.

I wouldn't want you to remove the <mbp: pagebreak> format-specific tag; just replace it with something more 'accepted'.

Your efforts are much appreciated!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #200
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you can prove direct links to every module needed to compile the Windows version, I'll give it a go on Monday. I'm not about to go searching for modules that I am not sure are the correct ones. But with direct links I'll give it a try. The BMPe package is the one I am not going to try to find when I won't know if it's the right one or not. So please link to all the needed bits.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #201
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That fix right there might very well concern me. I cannot say until I see the new version and how the HTML from it works with html2lrf and/or Book Designer.
That is only for mobi2html.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #202
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If you can prove direct links to every module needed to compile the Windows version, I'll give it a go on Monday. I'm not about to go searching for modules that I am not sure are the correct ones. But with direct links I'll give it a try. The BMPe package is the one I am not going to try to find when I won't know if it's the right one or not. So please link to all the needed bits.
http://www.ida.liu.se/~tompe/mobiperl/

contains all the infoirmation. The modules are installed using the "Perl Package Manager" so you do not need any links. The list of modules are given on the webpage. Just enter the name in the package manager and search for them. You also have to remember to add an extra repository to the package manager.

You have to match the Perl version with the version of PAR that is working and I found a match by testing a lot of combinations. The important bit is: "I used ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 820 and for building the Windows binary I used PAR-Packer-588.ppd". "build 820" is important. The latest ActivePerl did not work.

PAR-Packer-588.pdd can be found at:

http://par.wikia.com/wiki/PAR_PPM_Compatibility_List

http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/PAR-Packer-588.ppd

I think I just did "ppm install PAR-Packer-588.ppd" to install it. Or you can probably use the graphical interface to the Package Manager on the ppd file.

As I said the Makefile in the distribution then shows how to build the binaries (nmake all; nmake pack).

Good luck.

Last edited by tompe; 02-10-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #203
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Yes, I do need a new Windows binary. I do use html2mobi. So please come up with a new Windows edition for those of us using Windows. It isn't fair that Windows users get stuck with 2 versions behind.
Why not install ActiveState Perl?

http://www.activestate.com/store/pro...5-08d58c2648ca

Free and open source.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 02-10-2008 at 10:20 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:25 PM   #204
jswinden
Nameless Being

I do love to read, but I do NOT have the patience to read through hundreds of posts in this thread to find an answer. So parden me for coming to the end of the thread and posting my question and thoughts.

I installed ActiveStatePerl 5.8.8 and all the necessary (according to his website) addons to run mobi2html on my Win XP PC.

I used mobidedrm to de-DRM a MobiPocket file originally purchased for MobiPocket on the Palm.

When I go into a DOS Prompt and run mobihtml to convert this file I get a nice unpack folder filled with GIF files and one html file that contains only the following:

<html><head></head><body></body></html>

This is not much good as far as I can see if that is all it does. The image files are great, but no usable html is unpacked.

Has anyone ever gotten this script to work? If so, how...
Old 02-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #205
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Has anyone ever gotten this script to work? If so, how...
Unless you want to modify the scripts (or need the very latest versions), I suggest starting with the Windows binaries: mobiperl-0.0.26-win.zip

However, the problem may be that your MOBI file is using MobiPocket compression (mobigen's -c2 option) which is not supported by mobi2html. I have seen empty HTML files from mobi2html on such files, and another way to confirm this would be if your DRM-free MOBI is readable by MobiPocket Reader but not readable by FBReader.

Most DRM-free MOBI files use simple (-c1) compression, but some use the -c2 option. I have no idea what fraction of DRM-laden MOBI files use the higher compression option.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-10-2008 at 05:34 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #206
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
However, the problem may be that your MOBI file is using MobiPocket compression (mobigen's -c1 option) which is not supported by mobi2html. I have seen empty HTML files from mobi2html on such files, and another way to confirm this would be if your DRM-free MOBI is readable by MobiPocket Reader but not readable by FBReader.

Most DRM-free MOBI files use simple (-c0) compression, but some use the -c1 option. I have no idea what fraction of DRM-laden MOBI files use the higher compression option.
That is most probably the reason. This is starting to get annoying. I must remember to add some warning message about that in mobi2html.

So if somebody reverse engineered the compression format could that be something that MobiPocket could complain about? Could they see their secret compression algorithm as part of the DRM?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #207
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Unless you want to modify the scripts (or need the very latest versions), I suggest starting with the Windows binaries: mobiperl-0.0.26-win.zip

However, the problem may be that your MOBI file is using MobiPocket compression (mobigen's -c1 option) which is not supported by mobi2html. I have seen empty HTML files from mobi2html on such files, and another way to confirm this would be if your DRM-free MOBI is readable by MobiPocket Reader but not readable by FBReader.

Most DRM-free MOBI files use simple (-c0) compression, but some use the -c1 option. I have no idea what fraction of DRM-laden MOBI files use the higher compression option.
As stated above, I already properly installed ActiveStatePerl and MobiPerl. I did get it to work with a DRM free file I got from MobileRead. But using it to convert a file that was de-DRMed using mobidedrm doesn't seem to work. One or both scripts come up short.

I do wish these guys would start creating executables. Having to install Python, Perl, NameYourStupidScriptingLanguage, etc., then having to attempt to figure out their poorly documented command line sytax is too complicated and time consuming for most people. And in the end, it always seems that the caveats make the whole process a huge waste of time!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #208
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
So if somebody reverse engineered the compression format could that be something that MobiPocket could complain about? Could they see their secret compression algorithm as part of the DRM?
I don't see how it could be considered an effective DRM technique. Compression is also highly unlikely to be covered by patents, and in any case all that is required is decompression. This is somewhat analogous to the case with RAR, where there is an open source unrar utility but not one for creating .rar files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #209
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
I don't see how it could be considered an effective DRM technique. Compression is also highly unlikely to be covered by patents, and in any case all that is required is decompression. This is somewhat analogous to the case with RAR, where there is an open source unrar utility but not one for creating .rar files.
RAR author Eugene Rorshal released public domain C code to open and extract RAR archives back in the MS-DOS days, so lots of things can open RAR files.

Mobi's high compression option Isn't intended to be DRM, per se. The purpose is for things like dictionaries. They need high compression to keep the file size within reason, but they can't use Zip because they need to be able to uncompress the file for display at any point in the file, and Zip starts at the beginning.

So they have a proprietary and undocumented compression method they developed to handle that requirement.

Since they made the Creator and Reader programs freeware, I think the next logical step for them would be to make them open source and get other developers involved, but I think the proprietary compression method would be an obstacle.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #210
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
What is fair? If you install perl on windows they you won't need a binary

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobi2mobi, mobils