Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
ebernal620
ebernal620 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Not so New Kindle Dx

Hi everyone im new here my sister has a kindle and were in the US but shes am not able to register it. My sister bought it of the street and not thinking that she would actually have to register it in order to surf the web and buy e books for it. if i jailbreak it for her will this allow her to buy e books for it and put it onto her kindle?
ebernal620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
ebernal620

by the way we did contact amazon and told them that it was a mistake they just told us that it was black listed and there was nothing they could do for us.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
ebernal620

please help we dont know what to do
Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Obviously sounds like it was lost or worse. I guess you can purchase books but if they have drm on them, you will not be able to transfer them to that kindle since books are coded/encrypted for the specific device. So if you download to a pc, they would be specific to that pc. And since it canNOT be registered you canNOT download for that kindle (normally you can download for a registered kindle)

Can she return it for $$$?

Good luck
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM   #5
ebernal620

the guy she got it from found it and said she could take it she didnt pay much just 75 dollars but still and when we called amazon earlier they said that they couldnt give us the owners information and that they didnt want it back.

so even if she jailbroke it it still wouldnt work for her?

Last edited by ebernal620; 03-02-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Nope. I'd be happy to buy it off of you for $50 though.

The only way to use that is to sideload your own books, which I don't mind doing...
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebernal620 View Post
the guy she got it from found it and said she could take it she didnt pay much just 75 dollars but still and when we called amazon earlier they said that they couldnt give us the owners information and that they didnt want it back.

so even if she jailbroke it it still wouldnt work for her?
He "found it"? It sounds like the guy isn't that trustworthy, but it's weird that Amazon blacklisted it AND won't take it back. Their policy is that if there is a lost Kindle, they'll return it to the owner. Try calling Amazon again, if they still can't help AND you're 100% sure it isn't illegitimate, then you have some hope: there's a way to spoof the identify of the Kindle. I won't say any more beyond that though.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #8
ebernal620

hey all thanks for replying.

the guy that found it found it on the airplane he cleans up the airplane and apparently brong it to my sister. not thinking she bought it because she desperatley wanted a ereader without thinking ( i bet shell think different now ).

anyways we called three times spoke to three different people and they all said the same thing that it was reported black listed its unable to be registered and nothing else. i asked if i could returned it could they give us atleast a 50 dollar off a kindle for returning it they said she wont be able to return it and they cant give us anything off since this situation happens all the time.

i then explained to them how if this was their policy why wont they take the kindle they said because it was reported blacklisted a while ago and the owner had a new one which i thought was fishy.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
elborak
Enthusiast
elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elborak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Not that fishy. The same thing happens all the time with Logitech Harmony remote controls; someone reports it broken, it gets replaced under warranty, Logitech doesn't always want the broken one back (this varies) but they blacklist the serial number.
elborak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
ebernal620

but i would think they would want it back i mean this thing is brand new has no scratches at all what so ever. now we have no use for it thats why im asking is there a way we can still use it for reading instead of just leaving it to collect dust
Old 03-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #11
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
You can use it for reading. You can download free books in the proper format to the computer (project guttenberg) and use a usb cable to get them on the device. You can also buy books and investigate stripping drm. I'm still surprised that amazon does not want to deal with it.

But the guy who found it probaby was responsible for turning it into a lost/found where he worked.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
ebernal620

yea i was surprised too. we tried buying a book from amazon and putting into the computer but when i tried to put it into the kindle it wouldnt open on the kindle because the book is registered on my email and the kindle is not registered.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #13
ebernal620

Update

we finally got the kindle to take our books we took out the the drm. couple of hours of investigating but it was sure worth it.

is there anyway we could surf the web even though its black listed?

thank you so much
Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
l..k
Enthusiast
l..k began at the beginning.

Device: k3
This is a strange story indeed
Technically speaking I bet u will be able to surf the web if
a) change the sim card to other valid sim without pin
b) remove amazon proxy from settings

Sorry no free web. My advise is to forget it, web browser in DX is a kind of crap.
l..k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
jeromedevine
Zealot
jeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litterjeromedevine doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G Graphite, Sony PRS-505
/deleted by author

Last edited by jeromedevine; 03-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.
jeromedevine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brand, hack, jailbreak kindle, new kindle dx, noob, smuggled kindle, stolen kindle