Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #2986
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmm Niluje would know best.

I tried rooting round for the source but don't easily find it.

Can't hurt to try.
From those notes that looks like it "should have" worked. Report the fail to Niluje if your other test doesn't work.

EDIT: you don't use windows do you?

Maybe SHOW FILE EXTENSIONS option is turned off and you made a .txt file...

Happens a lot

Last edited by twobob; 02-05-2013 at 03:07 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 AM   #2987
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No, I'm a Mac and Linux user.

I figured it out... If I opened a new book it worked, but when I went back to the current book it still had the white borders.

The solution to get an old book to re-cache the cover
1. Switch to a new book (never opened), it should have the black letterboxed borders.
2. Plug up the Kindle, and go into the linkss folder.
3. Delete all the covers in the cover_cache folder except the current book (the new one) and the ones labeled default.
4. Also, delete the cover in the overflow folder.
5. Disconnect the Kindle and reboot.
6. Now switch to the book that you were reading (that still had the white), let it go to sleep. It should have re-created the book cover with black bars now.

Last edited by just_jeepin; 02-06-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added a solution
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 AM   #2988
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I have kindle3 B008 model, wi-fi only. Running 3.4 FW.
I read the first post, but for the love of god, I couldn't understand which jailbreak to use.
Please help? I want SS hack.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 AM   #2989
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alucarda View Post
I have kindle3 B008 model, wi-fi only. Running 3.4 FW.
I read the first post, but for the love of god, I couldn't understand which jailbreak to use.
Please help? I want SS hack.
From the readme: "k3w means K3 WiFi [B008]", so you should use update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #2990
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you, I got confused with all those instructions for 3.0-3.2 but then none for 3.3 and 3.4 @_@
Advert
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 AM   #2991
Geralt
Witcher

Jailbreak doesn't work. I get U002 error at the bottom of the kindle. It cant update and just restarts the device.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #2992
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@alucarda: You're using the wrong file, or it somehow got corrupted along the way. (U002 is an MD5 checksum failure, that should *never* happen).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #2993
Geralt
Witcher

I used this file: update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin (I have kindle3 B008 model, wi-fi only.)
So I dont think that's wrong.

I tried dl'ing the kindle-jailbreak-0.11.N.zip multiple times and I always get U002.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #2994
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@alucarda: Which FW version is it running? (Check the Settings page).
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #2995
Geralt
Witcher

version 3.4
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #2996
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@alucarda: Then, nope, you're doing something wrong. Check that nothing's corrupting the file (FWIW, md5sum: 1d1784b018c2d8f82b41db81c1db62cb update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3w_install.bin), and that you're properly using the 'Update Your Kindle' link.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #2997
Geralt
Witcher

How can I check that nothing's corrupting the file?
As for the 'Update Your Kindle' link, I click on it? @_@ What else can I do with it?=_=

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #2998
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

md5sum... = 1d1784b018c2d8f82b41db81c1db62cb

md5sum --help
Quote:
Usage: md5sum [OPTION]... [FILE]...
Print or check MD5 (128-bit) checksums.
With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input.

-b, --binary read in binary mode
-c, --check read MD5 sums from the FILEs and check them
-t, --text read in text mode (default)

The following three options are useful only when verifying checksums:
--quiet don't print OK for each successfully verified file
--status don't output anything, status code shows success
-w, --warn warn about improperly formatted checksum lines

--strict with --check, exit non-zero for any invalid input
--help display this help and exit
--version output version information and exit

The sums are computed as described in RFC 1321. When checking, the input
should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print
a line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary, ` ' for
text), and name for each FILE.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #2999
Geralt
Witcher

twobob, thanks for the sentiment but that doesn't make any sense to me at all.
Anyway, it was my laptop that was the problem. Guess it corrupted files somehow.
Went to my boyfriend's PC and installed jailbreak, python and SS hack, no problem at all.

Thanks for help.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #3000
twobob

hmm.. righto.

since you dont need it anymore... Then the lack of knowledge will hurt you none.

but for the next poor windows user who does...

Attached. ( i think it works)

Cheers.

also the File Checksum Integrity Verifier utility from MS could do the job on machines equipped with it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip md5sum-FOR-WINDOWS.zip (23.2 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by twobob; 02-13-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Tags
fonts, fw3, hack, jailbreak 3.1, niluje's hacks, screensavers, usbnet