Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
robert_epub
robert_epub began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
No automatic hyphenation?

Hi,

I've been browsing the forum archives and I'm wondering whether someone could confirm the following:

The current PRS-300 firmware does not support automatic hyphenation.

I am reading epub books (from the Sony store as well as converted from Kindle), and while I figured out how to change the font and formatting using calibre and the boroda 1.05a firmware, long words such as "supportive" leave really ugly ragged right edges. Stanza on the iPhone automatically hyphenates the same epubs, so I'm wondering whether this lack of functionality is somehow caused by my relentless customization.

PS: To make this post a little less of a complaint.
If you're looking for a nice reader font, try Hoefler Text. I like it with the following calibre settings: Base font 11.0pt, all other checkboxes off and the following css (gives you a paragraph indent and a half line paragraph spacing as well as a nicer line-to-line spacing):
p { padding-top: 0; padding-bottom: 0; margin-bottom: 3pt; margin-top: 0; text-indent: 1.5em; line-height:125% }
robert_epub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Correct; ePub does not currently support hyphenation.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Mobile ADE does not implement automatic hyphenation. I have seen (unofficial) reports that this might be on Adobe's short list of desirable improvements, but Sony is unlikely to upgrade existing devices even if Adobe implements this. The PRS-300 might support soft hypens (the PRS-505 did not), which you can test using the .epub from Soft Hyphens. Note that Jellby posted a better epub at the end of the thread.

Last edited by wallcraft; 03-22-2010 at 08:03 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
robert_epub

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Correct; ePub does not currently support hyphenation.
Does the PRS-300 support hyphenation with any other format (lrf?)

Thanks,
Robert
Old 03-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
robert_epub

Such beautiful hardware and such primitive software...

I tested the epub you're referring to below and each and every soft hyphen (including mid line) turns into a QUESTION MARK.... but it does break on question mark, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Mobile ADE does not implement automatic hyphenation. I have seen (unofficial) reports that this might be on Adobe's short list of desirable improvements, but Sony is unlikely to upgrade existing devices even if Adobe implements this. The PRS-300 might support soft hypens (the PRS-505 did not), which you can test using the .epub from Soft Hyphens. Note that Jellby posted a better epub at the end of the thread.
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
LRF is even worse then ePub as far as hyphens go. LRF doesn't even deal with em dashes properly. ePub will split at an em dash or even move just the em dash to the next line. But LRF will move the entire two words to the next line.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote