Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 05-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
A request for your feedback

You may have noticed that over the last few days our forum has undergone a subtle transformation. Our goal: to redefine and focus the various sections to make it easier for you to access topics and to find posts you are really interested in.

Please tell us how you like the current layout and what else you would like to see. There are still some thorny issues to deal with; for instance, does it still make sense to separate Palm OS and Windows Mobile? Where should we discuss and compare various e-book readers? Feel free to share via comments and e-mails (suggest05@mobileread.com). Thanks.

Related: A couple of days ago we also opened our Wiki that is going to focus on e-book and mobile-related topics. It's still brand-new and rather empty, but we hope - also with your help - to turn it quickly into a useful resource.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
DaNDeE
Connoisseur
DaNDeE began at the beginning.

Device: Newton/iPhone/iPad
News shortage...

Without tracind the threads every day - think you can't even call me a regulare user - I noticed that there has been a shortage in news lately. On the other hand google adds are placed right beneath a topic. Don't get me wrong, but I liked it much better with google on separated in some way.

On the other hand this should bring in some money, so that the editors get bussy again - dunno what fits in here. The sponsored editor withou google (no chance - I know) or the other guy, who does it for the sake of the idea (I like them more, cause they are not just after the money).

^^^Shouldn't be as sarkastic, as it sounds. Some time I just don't find the right words and it sounds as if I am in a bad mood or something.

bless
DaNDeE
DaNDeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dandee, I don't think shortage of news is a problem we have to deal with. Look here for news posted just last week. Besides, a lot of recent time went into improving the site. But if you feel you can contribute more news, don't hesitate We always appreciate your input.

Please, for the time being, let's focus on feedback regarding the forum structure.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:04 PM   #4
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

Right. I should get bussy instead of complaining. Let me get one thing clear: Guys, I love you for making this site, what it is and please keep it up. Sorry for beeing a jackass earlier...
Old 05-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #5
Dick Tracy
Detective
Dick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura aboutDick Tracy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Palm TX
I like! Much nicer by being cleaner, especially for the noobs I refer from other forums. Keep up the great work.
Dick Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I think it's great. The icons are especially nice, in my mind, since they make it easy to find a section quickly.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:11 AM   #7
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

Like the big Icons. Without reading the topic you can guess what it is about - think that's what icons are made for, so these are great.

Talking about the separation of WinMobile and Plam, when it comes to ebook software, I think it does not make sense, though I wouldn't replace the Plam- an WinMobile section. Rather keep them for hardware related issues and add sections for all the other populare readers out there.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:20 AM   #8
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

Don't know, if this is a new feature but I like the popup layers when hovering over the topics and the shortcut menu when click on a users name (as stated above - I am no regulare user ). Those speed up the usage quite alot.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 AM   #9
Jaapjan
Avid reader
Jaapjan doesn't litterJaapjan doesn't litter

Device: HTC Touch Diamond, iLiad Book Edition
Haha.

To be honest, I hadn't noticed a single thing until you mentioned it here in the topic. You see, I always jump into the forums from the mainpage by using the 'last changed' topics. That way you never see the main list of topics on the forum.

That said, I think it is a bit strange about some divisions. Non-existing readers are getting dedicated topics while readers like the reb1100 and ebookwise 1150 do not even get a comment in the subtopic description.

Furthermore, I think that there's a genuine possibility of making too many forum choices/division on the list.
Jaapjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I appreciate the feedback!

Jaapjan, I am positive that all three of the readers (Sony Readers, iRex iliad, HanLin eBook) will be available any time soon. As for readers of the "first generation", such as the reb1100, I assumed that there is only limit interest for dedicated sections. There are various dedicated places such as Yahoo! Groups which have been around for a long time and which discuss in great detail those readers. Don't get me wrong, I am not against discussing them here! If there is a genuine interest, we'll enable dedicated discussions.

Like you also said, there is a problem with having too many forum choices, which is exactly the reason why we tried hard to find descriptive categories which interest our readers most, while merging those that are only infrequently visited.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #11
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

Let's have a poll on these - this is the best way to find out, what categories are good and which can be stuffed togather. Sugest, we have a list of all possiblies flying around. Just an idea...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
That would be one way to approach this, but I think it's hard to beat actual forum activity as a clue to what's worthy of separate forum categories. If you have a lot of posting on a given topic, it's sort of "earns" a spot. Putting categories out there based on interest can easily lead to inactive threads where people are interested (i.e. would say they want a category in a poll, but don't post). Just my 2cents...

I'm more curious if there are topics that people want to post, but can't figure out what category to put it in, or if they ever give up because they don't think any of the categories apply. Hopefully, most on-topic items are covered pretty well.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:13 AM   #13
DaNDeE
Connoisseur

Mhhh... good one. Perhaps this should be created dynamically. Would it be possible to sort posts after certain criteria? Something like activity - hence number of posts, how often it is viewed, when was the last post, etc.... I know, this not what a typical blog/forum is meant to be, but with digit.com at front it looks like this is the futuer.

Alex: Much work I know, but would this be possible?