Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
converting comics takes 99% CPU

When I try to convert a cbr file, Calibre starts hogging all my system resources, to the point that it's hard even to shut the programme down. (In the task manager, I see about 6 "calibre-parallel" exe's running, four of which each take up 24 to 25% CPU). That's not really ideal.

Maybe there's something wrong with the cbr files I tried it on, but this way I can't even find out (unless I leave the computer churning for an indefinite period -- I don't know how long since the programme doesn't give an estimate of that).

If so, I'd prefer a simple error dialogue that I can click away. This way it's hard even to get to the process manager and shut the process down.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you set the option in Preferences to run the calibre-parallel processes at lower priorities? I actually run Calibre itself at BelowNormal priority and the calibre-parallel processes at Low priority. That way even though conversions might take a little longer my machine remains resposnisve.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
When I try to convert a cbr file, Calibre starts hogging all my system resources, to the point that it's hard even to shut the programme down. (In the task manager, I see about 6 "calibre-parallel" exe's running, four of which each take up 24 to 25% CPU). That's not really ideal.

Maybe there's something wrong with the cbr files I tried it on, but this way I can't even find out (unless I leave the computer churning for an indefinite period -- I don't know how long since the programme doesn't give an estimate of that).

If so, I'd prefer a simple error dialogue that I can click away. This way it's hard even to get to the process manager and shut the process down.
This is normal. I see it every time I convert an ebook (no matter the format).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:56 AM   #4
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Have you set the option in Preferences to run the calibre-parallel processes at lower priorities? I actually run Calibre itself at BelowNormal priority and the calibre-parallel processes at Low priority. That way even though conversions might take a little longer my machine remains resposnisve.
Running Calibre itself at belownormal, do you do that through the task manager? Or is that in the preferences somewhere too?
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #5
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
Running Calibre itself at belownormal, do you do that through the task manager? Or is that in the preferences somewhere too?
Code:
START /BELOWNORMAL Calibre.exe
You could put it in a batch file.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Attached is a batch file I use to start Calibre on Windows. There are plenty of comments so you should be able to tweak it to suit your locations.

Note that I also use this batch file to run in "Calibre on a Stick" mode when I want to run from a USB stick.

I assume the same ideas will work on both Mac and Linux - although the syntax of some of the command might change slightly.
Attached Files
File Type: bat CalibreRun.bat (2.5 KB, 191 views)
Old 10-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
oroig
oroig began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
is there any easy option to set this low priority on mac in an easy way. every time I convert a comic book my macbook pro it's burning
oroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
itimpi
Wizard

You can set the priority of the background calibre jobs under Calibre->Preferences->General.