Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
terminator1983
terminator1983 began at the beginning.

Device: Iphone 4s
Whats the best ebook reader for iphone

I want to try any other ebook reader on my iphone which one should i use.
terminator1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
About 6 topics down on the apple page you will see the same thread topic.

here
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I use Kindle for iPhone
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

The best e-book reader for iPhone right now is Stanza. In terms of the nice display of e-books, I also very much appreciate Apabi Reader (however, it lacks the crucial annotations feature).

Note: Stanza is currently crippleware (thank you, Amazon). However, even a partly dysfunctional Stanza is way better than the primitive Kindle and iBooks apps. So, I continue using Stanza on the iPhone on a daily basis for now.

And here is the good news: the best iOS e-reader of all, Marvin, will pretty soon be coming to the iPhone, and will include iCloud syncing with its fabulous iPad version. We'll just need to be patient for a few more months.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #5
terminator1983

Ok thanks i will try out Stanza and see how it works compared to the ibook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The best e-book reader for iPhone right now is Stanza. In terms of the nice display of e-books, I also very much appreciate Apabi Reader (however, it lacks the crucial annotations feature).

Note: Stanza is currently crippleware (thank you, Amazon). However, even a partly dysfunctional Stanza is way better than the primitive Kindle and iBooks apps. So, I continue using Stanza on the iPhone on a daily basis for now.

And here is the good news: the best iOS e-reader of all, Marvin, will pretty soon be coming to the iPhone, and will include iCloud syncing with its fabulous iPad version. We'll just need to be patient for a few more months.
Advert
Old 03-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #6
terminator1983

I have downloaded and tried Stanza but it crashes and hangs alot while moving b/w setting and one thing how can i download book bcoz the the only option i have seen is to move the ebook from computer to the app via itunes.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #7
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lightbulb

Hi Terminator,

Like I said, Stanza is partly dysfunctional today. (You can thank Amazon for that -- they intentionally stopped updating Stanza, in order to promote their own Kindle app which is still inferior to Stanza after all these years.) The thing that is dysfunctional about Stanza is 3 of the 4 Settings buttons -- Stanza crashes if you push any of those 3 buttons. Otherwise, Stanza still works. It's a really sad state of affairs that, as of March 2013, I still need to be using crippleware like Stanza, because there is simply no better e-reader available for iPhone right now. Fortunately, the superb Marvin e-reader will be arriving on the iPhone in a few months' time from today, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

As to tranferring books, you can completely forget about iTunes. iTunes is no longer needed for anything at all in 2013, in relation to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. (That era was over in 2011, but most people don't seem to have noticed.)

There are many other, easier ways of transferring books to your iPhone. My two favourite ways are:
  • Just email the book to yourself. You can then open the book on your iPhone from the email attachment, opening the book in whatever e-reader you prefer to use for the moment.
  • On your main computer, just load your books into Dropbox, SugarSync or another such cloud software. Then on your iPhone, simply use the Dropbox app or SugarSync app to open the book in the e-reader of your choice. (I use my Dropbox and SugarSync pretty much as one would use a traditional hard-drive -- except that this cloud "hard-drive" is accessible from all my computers and mobile devices, which suits me perfectly.)
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #8
terminator1983

Thanks for the detail replay Faterson.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
In Stanza, "Appearance" And "Controls" still work. "General" and "Layout" do not. I am still using Stanza, but for people not addicted to Stanza I am recommending ShubookSE
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:35 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...iTunes is no longer needed for anything at all in 2013, in relation to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.[/B] (That era was over in 2011, but most people don't seem to have noticed.)
Try not using iTunes when you have a failed over the air update. Try not using it when you get the "connect to iTunes" screen. You need to accept that iTunes *is* still needed for some things. Not for books transfer, sure, but that is not the only use of iTunes. If you dont have it, how do you back up your information in case of such a situation? I had this happen two days ago and was VERY grateful for an encrypted backup in iTunes which made the restore completely painless... including my books and bookmarks.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Try not using iTunes when you have a failed over the air update.
Try using an iPad when an atomic bomb explodes next to your door.

Sue, whenever I give my recommendations about anything in this forum, I'm assuming standard operating conditions for the iDevice user. The 2013 standard is that the over-the-air update does not fail -- there is no reason for it to fail.

Quote:
Try not using it when you get the "connect to iTunes" screen.
You never get to see that screen anymore. That was back in 2011! That's my whole point.

Quote:
You need to accept that iTunes *is* still needed for some things.
No, definitely not. iTunes is no longer needed for anything at all today. I stand by my statement.

(Of course, if a user finds oneself in non-standard circumstances, then non-standard procedures may be required, such as reverting back to the obsolete, time-consuming, round-about iTunes way of doing things.)

Quote:
Not for books transfer, sure, but that is not the only use of iTunes. If you dont have it, how do you back up your information in case of such a situation?
You haven't noticed the arrival of iCloud backup back in 2011, Sue? I switched iCloud backup on back then, and have never looked back at the hassle that are iTunes backups.

Quote:
I had this happen two days ago and was VERY grateful for an encrypted backup in iTunes which made the restore completely painless... including my books and bookmarks.
I assure you that restoring your iDevice from an iCloud backup is even "more completely" painless , because you don't need anything other than the iDevice itself, and Internet access, to perform the restore.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard

I have noticed icloud backup, but I prefer not to use it. I just don't trust it enough. The point of my remarks was that there *are* uses for iTunes. I could not have done without it, 2 days ago. And that, Alex, is a fact.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #13
mattcurtis
Book Lover, Dev of Hyphen
mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mattcurtis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone (Hyphen)
Quote:
Hi Terminator,

Like I said, Stanza is partly dysfunctional today. (You can thank Amazon for that -- they intentionally stopped updating Stanza, in order to promote their own Kindle app which is still inferior to Stanza after all these years.) The thing that is dysfunctional about Stanza is 3 of the 4 Settings buttons -- Stanza crashes if you push any of those 3 buttons. Otherwise, Stanza still works. It's a really sad state of affairs that, as of March 2013, I still need to be using crippleware like Stanza, because there is simply no better e-reader available for iPhone right now. Fortunately, the superb Marvin e-reader will be arriving on the iPhone in a few months' time from today, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

As to tranferring books, you can completely forget about iTunes. iTunes is no longer needed for anything at all in 2013, in relation to your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. (That era was over in 2011, but most people don't seem to have noticed.)

There are many other, easier ways of transferring books to your iPhone. My two favourite ways are:
  • Just email the book to yourself. You can then open the book on your iPhone from the email attachment, opening the book in whatever e-reader you prefer to use for the moment.
  • On your main computer, just load your books into Dropbox, SugarSync or another such cloud software. Then on your iPhone, simply use the Dropbox app or SugarSync app to open the book in the e-reader of your choice. (I use my Dropbox and SugarSync pretty much as one would use a traditional hard-drive -- except that this cloud "hard-drive" is accessible from all my computers and mobile devices, which suits me perfectly.)
My favorite is using iFunBox to just drop the ePub in. Simply, easy, no bloat.
mattcurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
Mook4Nook
Mook4Nook began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcurtis View Post
My favorite is using iFunBox to just drop the ePub in. Simply, easy, no bloat.
Any other current recs seeing as Stanza is no longer useable? Most of my ebooks are in ePub format. I do have the kindle app for my kindle ebooks but I've got heaps that's in ePub.
Mook4Nook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Currently the most recommended seem to be BlueFire Reader and Marvin.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote