Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #76
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if we Shute Neville, does that mean we don't have to read A Town like Alice if it wins and can instead officially read Stardust?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:57 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
According to the reviews I've read, A Town Like Alice is just a story whereas Stardust is a really moving story with lots going for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 PM   #78
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nothing says romance like money!
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #79
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is an amazing race between the two leaders. Every time I check in one has inched forward or the other has caught up. It's becoming quite exciting - which probably says something about my life at the moment.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 AM   #80
VeggieCat
Bacon Enthusiast
VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VeggieCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10, Kindle Voyage, iPod Nano 7th gen (for audiobooks)
Just tied them up with my vote for Stardust
VeggieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #81
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
While I strongly disagree with Gabaldon, I'm not ready to write her off my list. This is the 2nd (or 3rd) time I've seen Outlander nominated for a book club of which I'm a member, so my curiosity has been piqued.
I really liked Outlander. I immediately read the rest of the series (and they aren't short novels) because I enjoyed the premise and characters.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeggieCat View Post
Just tied them up with my vote for Stardust
Well done!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Someone please vote for Stardust and not A Town Like Alice. Stardust is a magical romance that makes people happy where A Town Like Alice is a dreary war story.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #84
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I feel quite uncharitable to question, but does it seem a little odd that votes were progressing apace across all selections and then suddenly drop of in favour of the two front-runners?

Given that we have multiple choice voting it seems strange that only two selections are attracting votes towards the end of this poll.

Am I just being paranoid?
Old 01-26-2013, 01:01 AM   #85
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I feel quite uncharitable to question, but does it seem a little odd that votes were progressing apace across all selections and then suddenly drop of in favour of the two front-runners?

Given that we have multiple choice voting it seems strange that only two selections are attracting votes towards the end of this poll.

Am I just being paranoid?
It's because of open voting. People see that the other choices win't win so the vote for one of the possible winners. In a hidden vote, this is not possible so people vote for what they want since they cannot se how the vote is going or who voted for what.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 AM   #86
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
I'm on Tapatalk and can't see the poll, but from a quick scan of the thread, it looks like this book is out of the running...

Nevertheless, for future reads, I cannot recommend "The Greatest Knight" highly enough. Chadwick is an outstanding writer of history, and this is her masterpiece. It is followed by "The Scarlet Lion", which while not necessary, is just as good and a great follow - up you won't want to miss. It covers the latter years of his life and family, until his death.

I read it and the three following (2 about his children) twice within 3 months of buying, and everyone I rec'd it to loved it. When I saw the "Books you can't put down" thread, it was one of the first that came to my mind.

I would not classify it as a romance, but historical fiction /biography of the truly fascinating and adventuresome life of William Marshall, who was called the Greatest Knight in the realm of Britain.
He began as a relative nobody, but wound up a highly respected earl, serving the Plantagenets from Henry II through Henry III (including Richard the Lionheart and John). He was regent of England for young Henry III.

There is some romance in that his very happy marriage is covered, but otherwise, I'd only classify it as romance of the Ivanhoe type.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #87
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper_ View Post
Nevertheless, for future reads, I cannot recommend "The Greatest Knight" highly enough. Chadwick is an outstanding writer of history, and this is her masterpiece. It is followed by "The Scarlet Lion", which while not necessary, is just as good and a great follow - up you won't want to miss. It covers the latter years of his life and family, until his death.

I read it and the three following (2 about his children) twice within 3 months of buying, and everyone I rec'd it to loved it. When I saw the "Books you can't put down" thread, it was one of the first that came to my mind.

I would not classify it as a romance, but historical fiction /biography of the truly fascinating and adventuresome life of William Marshall, who was called the Greatest Knight in the realm of Britain.
He began as a relative nobody, but wound up a highly respected earl, serving the Plantagenets from Henry II through Henry III (including Richard the Lionheart and John). He was regent of England for young Henry III.

There is some romance in that his very happy marriage is covered, but otherwise, I'd only classify it as romance of the Ivanhoe type.
Thanks for that. I thought the book looked interesting (although admittedly not for a romance selection) and I put the book on my wish list. Good to get a recommendation for it.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #88
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's because of open voting. People see that the other choices win't win so the vote for one of the possible winners. In a hidden vote, this is not possible so people vote for what they want since they cannot se how the vote is going or who voted for what.
I was thinking perhaps that might be it. But with multiple choice voting, what's the point? You can still vote for what you really want to read regardless of any strategic voting decisions.

If you think Outlander might not be able to win and you'd prefer Stardust over A Town Like Alice, why not vote for Outlander and Stardust but omit A Town Like Alice?

Although I really love Stardust, I definitely didn't want it to win, so I definitely didn't vote for it. But everything else that interested me in any way for Feb got a vote.

Maybe not everyone understands the multiple choice voting as it's fairly new?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:38 AM   #89
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(sorry for double - posting, but I tend to lose posts I edit in this app, and there's no preview.)

First, I just read my post, and want to clarify that I only read the first 2 twice. )

Regarding the Romances in the list... I've only read three, I think...

Lolita - definitely squicky, but not as much as I expected. Partly because she is so forward/loose, she doesn't come off as his victim (part of the dilemma you feel in reading it), but mostly because the overall presentation is so compelling... It's a page - turning study of inner moral struggles.
I'd recommend it as an important read. It would also lend itself to some interesting discussion.

Outlander - I wouldn't rec. It's a romance and very popular but it took me several tries to get into, and I never liked the main character. First person. Huge door-stopper. Writing is sub-par. I eventually read it and a few of the others, only because I was interested in the Jacobites, but couldn't finish the series. And this is a real series, with cliffhangers.

Love Story - short, easy, true love story. Sad. Almost over the top on the pulling of heartstrings. Not much to talk about.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 AM   #90
Piper_
~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Thanks for that. I thought the book looked interesting (although admittedly not for a romance selection) and I put the book on my wish list. Good to get a recommendation for it.
You're welcome. It's from Sourcebooks, so watch for sales. I'd add Scarlet Lion to the watch list too. They both come on sale every few months, tho not at the same time.