Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
ADB install screwed my Nook Color

I followed all the steps and got the serial number to show up. Everything was fine. Restarted everything (laptop and NC) and it's trashed. Calibre no longer recognizes the Nook Color and looking in My Computer shows nothing whereas before the NC showed up there. No more sideloading books. This sucks.

As for using the Android SDK Manager, it doesn't even see my Android Device so I can't use that to load .apk's or anything for that matter.

Plug the NC in and it no longer goes into USB mode either. This is insane. I followed the instructions to the letter.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted

wish I could help......,but I don't know much yet......... Only what Scion tells me

I'm sure the more knowledgeable ones will be around soon......
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
Grimm, what's your history with the device?

For example, "I purchased the device a couple weeks ago, a few days ago, I manually updated the system to B&N software version 1.0.1, and then rooted the device using the Auto-Nooter specifically for software version 1.0.1, then attempted to install the Android SDK just today to try and get ADB access."
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apparently it's supposed to show up as "Android Composite ADB Interface" in Device Manager. It does not. It shows up as "Android ADB Interface" without the "Composite" which apparently makes all the difference.

Last edited by Grimm; 12-29-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
Grimm, what's your history with the device?

For example, "I purchased the device a couple weeks ago, a few days ago, I manually updated the system to B&N software version 1.0.1, and then rooted the device using the Auto-Nooter specifically for software version 1.0.1, then attempted to install the Android SDK just today to try and get ADB access."
This is exactly it.
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

I had the same thing happen when I attempted to plug in a second Nook Color. It showed up in device manager, but the word "composite" was missing as I recall.

I fixed this by running through the USB driver installation portion of these instructions, which fixed the driver problem (I was actually using an older USB driver for the 1.0.0 NookColor).

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

I started at step Roman Numeral III, and this fixed the problem.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Grimm
DRM killer

NookDevs says it's totally optional so screw it. I will skip the whole ADB thing, if it can't be grabbed from the app store, I just won't use it. No need for .apk's.

I followed the instructions to the letter twice with the same results. Enough screwing around with it. I'll just keep it rooted without .apk sideloading.

Last edited by Grimm; 12-29-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Grimm
DRM killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
I had the same thing happen when I attempted to plug in a second Nook Color. It showed up in device manager, but the word "composite" was missing as I recall.

I fixed this by running through the USB driver installation portion of these instructions, which fixed the driver problem (I was actually using an older USB driver for the 1.0.0 NookColor).

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

I started at step Roman Numeral III, and this fixed the problem.
Nah, I tried step III more times than I can count and it still will not cooperate. Thanks though.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #9
KryptoNyte
Shepherd

Are you still able to plug the unit in and access the internal storage space as well as the SDcard from the computer?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
Grimm
DRM killer

Only when I delete the device and that driver and let it load default drivers after plugging the NC back in. If I use the USB_ADB driver, it only installs without the "composite" and then I cannot access the device at all.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
Nevermind guys, I'm not going to pull my hair out over this nonsense. I will skip the whole ADB thing, if it can't be grabbed from the app store, I just won't use it. No need for .apk's.

I followed the instructions to the letter twice with the same results. Enough screwing around with it. I'll just keep it rooted without .apk sideloading.
Try what Krypto suggested. You don't want to forego this going foreward. You'll be missing out on something that's needed in the future.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I'm at a wifi hotspot so I can't respond in detail now. I know you sent a private message.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #13
Grimm
DRM killer

SCION I tried it multiple times. The results are the same every time. I understand it may be necessary but if it will not instal the way the instructions say it should, there's not much I can do about it.

I have followed the instructions to the letter multiple times and it does not work the way it is listed. There is no choice but for me to forego it. If I leave it the way it turns out, I have no access to the device from my laptop at all. I sideload books with calibre, with the device listed as "Android ADB Interface" calibre no longer recognizes the device, nor does the computer see the device as a drive I can access from "My Computer."
Old 12-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
zeroh
Zealot
zeroh doesn't litterzeroh doesn't litter

Device: nook color
Mine did that as well - showing Android ADB Interface after updating the USB driver. I just unplugged it, rebooted the NC and plugged the usb cable back in and it came back up as Android Composite whatever. I've had to do this every time I've rooted the NC (I'm on my 6th time rooted NC).

If that doesn't work, try uninstalling the Android ADB interface and redo the update.

Also, if after you uninstall the ADB device, and windows shows a Nook in device manager, update that with the usb driver and do the unplug, reboot, replug. This worked when I was helping someone else.
zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
Grimm
DRM killer

Trying to use the usb driver when Device Manager shows a Nook doesn't work. It says the driver is not compatible with 64-bit version of Windows 7.