Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Move Books From Sony Library SW to Computer

I have about 100 non- DRM LRF books in Sony ebook library application that I would like to copy/move to my computer which runs Windows 7. I would like to do this even when my PRS 500 is not attached.
I have not been able to find where the library books are physically stored on my computer. If I had, I would have liked to move them within my computer. I suspect they are not simple lrf files.

First Question is of course, can I move the books on the Sony Library application to my computer when my PRS500 is not attached?
My PRS 500 does not have many of these books.

If I attach my PRS 500 to my computer,will that somehow allow me to copy/move the books to my computer?

Yes, I know that I would be better off with calibre.
Yes, I have searched forum postings for the solution and failed to find it. It likely is here but I could not find it
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
I have about 100 non- DRM LRF books in Sony ebook library application that I would like to copy/move to my computer which runs Windows 7. I would like to do this even when my PRS 500 is not attached.
Do you have the Sony eBookLibrary on one computer and wish to set up eBookLibrary on the Win 7 computer? (I'm not sure what you mean.)

Quote:
I have not been able to find where the library books are physically stored on my computer.
I download my books (all formats) to folders I set up myself under my documents. If you can't find them, you can type a name in win explorer search When the found files come up you can right click on the file for properties. The window comes up to check for details of where the file is located. (is this what you mean?)

If they are books from the Sony store they are lrx and located in a separate place on your computer.

Quote:
If I had, I would have liked to move them within my computer. I suspect they are not simple lrf files.

First Question is of course, can I move the books on the Sony Library application to my computer when my PRS500 is not attached?
My PRS 500 does not have many of these books.

If I attach my PRS 500 to my computer,will that somehow allow me to copy/move the books to my computer?

Yes, I know that I would be better off with calibre.
Yes, I have searched forum postings for the solution and failed to find it. It likely is here but I could not find it
I copy and move files without my 505 attached all the time.

Could you give more details to help with a better answer?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
My Sony eBook Library automatically saves the books in a folder [ My Documents\My Books\eBook Library].

As I had initial problems with the Sony I contacted them and now i know where the books are and that I can move them freely without any problems

If you eBook Library isn't set up the same way, do a search on a titel (using the _ instead of ' ' for the titel if more than 1 word).
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 AM   #4
Vienna01

Thanks Dreams for the suggestions on locating my Sony library files

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Do you have the Sony eBookLibrary on one computer and wish to set up eBookLibrary on the Win 7 computer? (I'm not sure what you mean.)

I download my books (all formats) to folders I set up myself under my documents. If you can't find them, you can type a name in win explorer search When the found files come up you can right click on the file for properties. The window comes up to check for details of where the file is located. (is this what you mean?)

If they are books from the Sony store they are lrx and located in a separate place on your computer.

I copy and move files without my 505 attached all the time.

Could you give more details to help with a better answer?
Dreams,
Thanks for the suggestions. You answered one of my questions. From your reply it seems, not having the reader attached to my computer is not the problem.

I lost the locations of the books on my computer while/after moving to WIN 7 [clean disk install]. After the switch I had to reinstall the SONY library application. Before the switch to WIN 7, I manually transferred many directories to a scratch disk and then to my PC. I did not retain them on my scratch disk. I do not recall which directories were transferred. When I re-installed the Sony ebook Library application under WIN 7, SOMEHOW my rebuilding picked up the books so the Sony application found them. I cannot drag books from the library icon to the computer icon.

Before the WIN 7 switch I always could find my books in the PC files where I placed them before copying them to the Sony Library application using drag & drop. Before, they were always shown in BOTH the Library & in a PC File.

Now all the books are viewable using the Sony Library Application so they are there-somewhere. I could not find any of them even with several searches [using author names,titles,.lfr etc]. These books [several hundred] are not from Sony store they are not DRM [.lrx] they are .lrf

It must be something simple but I haven't thought of a solution yet. When I learn of how to fix things it will be one of those flat of hand slap to forehead moments.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...add1/smack.gif
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

If you know the file extension (lrf) do a search on your hard drive for the files (*.lrf will do the trick) - using windows explorer it really shouldn't take that long to locate them

Last edited by Katti's Cat; 11-26-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: forgot half of the sentence
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are welcome. I do know that I have seen some questions about the Win 7 and files on the forum. I think Harry had some questions. I'll see if I can find anything. Good Luck.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:50 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
If you know the file extension (lrf) do a search on your hard drive for the files (*.lrf will do the trick) - using windows explorer it really shouldn't take that long to locate them
Katti's Cat idea works well also. When found, you can check properties for location. I found a thread by Harry but I don't think it will help. You may want to read it anyway. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=666413#post666413
Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #8
Katti's Cat
Wizard

Thanks Dreams - simple solutions for simple minds like me :-)
Old 11-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Now all the books are viewable using the Sony Library Application so they are there-somewhere. I could not find any of them even with several searches [using author names,titles,.lfr etc]. These books [several hundred] are not from Sony store they are not DRM [.lrx] they are .lrf

It must be something simple but I haven't thought of a solution yet. When I learn of how to fix things it will be one of those flat of hand slap to forehead moments.
If your eBooks are viewable from the eBook Library, just open up the eBook and click on the (i)nformation icon. That should show you the path of where the eBook is located.

If the eBooks are not in that path, they won't open and you'll get an error saying that the eBook has been deleted or moved.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #10
Vienna01

Of course I tried searching on *.lrf too. I do not have the system files hidden option turned on either. I sent my reader off for the upgrade. I'll try to copy the books from my PC to the 500 when it gets back.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Of course I tried searching on *.lrf too. I do not have the system files hidden option turned on either. I sent my reader off for the upgrade. I'll try to copy the books from my PC to the 500 when it gets back.

Thanks for all the help.
1. Try opening an eBook using eBook Library on your PC.
2. If you can open the eBook, click on the (i)nformation icon shown in attachment below (pointed to with the yellow arrow). An information window will pop-up that shows you the path where the physical ebook file is located.
3. If you can't open the eBook, it has been moved or deleted.

Attachment is an example using v3.0 of eBook Library. The information icon may be located elsewhere in verstion 2.5.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EBL_Path.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	40628  
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:39 AM   #12
Vienna01