Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
I've done exactly that.
I didn't even have any backup, since I've sold my original iPad mini 2 months ago.
I've started entirely from scratch.

I didn't find half a dozen apps anymore, so I've downloaded them via iTunes from my purchase history and transferred them to iPad. But I don't think, it's those apps.

And, like you say: Just having the app on the tablet shouldn't make any difference.

I'll track, what apps make the iPad crash.
I've got a week left for a "pain-free" exchange...
I wouldn't bet on that. So many apps love to phone home with data they have mined. Go into Settings --> Cellular and scroll down to see the list of all the apps that have requested cellular access and correct the attitudes of those you don't want to phone home all the time. If you have nearly 500 apps and you are running the mini with 3G, then no wonder it is overheating. I bet you have at least 100 apps trying to phone home on regular schedules. Overheating can and will lead to a device crash.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-05-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
...Overheating can and will lead to a device crash.
I have to track more explicitly.
But I think, it's the other way around.
At least once, when crashing, only then it was getting warmer. It may have been warm before. But while "hanging", it definitely got warmer. In this case really warm, almost hot.

But I'll definitely check the settings for any 3G activities.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:06 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I find that my Retina Mini gets noticeably warm when I'm browsing the web.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #19
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Is the retina mini 64-bit like the iPad air? My iPad air restarts itself at least once a day. I was under the impression that this was some bugginess due to the new 64-bit architecture and that iOS 7.5 would address it. I hope it comes out soon because I'm getting tired of this restarting!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Is the retina mini 64-bit like the iPad air? My iPad air restarts itself at least once a day. I was under the impression that this was some bugginess due to the new 64-bit architecture and that iOS 7.5 would address it. I hope it comes out soon because I'm getting tired of this restarting!
Mini Retina and Air have the same processor architecture and resolution and such. I guess, problems (if any) should be the same.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I find that my Retina Mini gets noticeably warm when I'm browsing the web.
Hmmm...
And that's just the most basic of tasks.
I guess, a high-end game or something like that should stress the processor way more intensively...
I've downloaded about 490 of those 496 apps directly on the iPad. And I've downloaded lots of content: Maps, eBooks, additional game data and so on, until my 128GB almost had been filled. So getting warm seems to be common. I've had this on my iPad 3 before, not on the ones before Gen. 3.

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-05-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #22
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
I don't think it's anything to do with the o/s. Safari crashes just as often on my iPhone 4, which is still running iOS5.
I can't really say for iOS 5 but for me, Safari crashes occur a lot more frequently with the iPad Air on iOS 7 than with the iPad 4 on iOS 6 when visiting the exact same websites with the same browsing habits (lotsa tabs open). Unfortunately, I can't really compare iOS performance on same hardware as I'm loathe to upgrade my iPad 4 lest I experience the same crashing issues I'm getting with the Air.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 02:04 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I can't really say for iOS 5 but for me, Safari crashes occur a lot more frequently with the iPad Air on iOS 7 than with the iPad 4 on iOS 6 when visiting the exact same websites with the same browsing habits (lotsa tabs open). Unfortunately, I can't really compare iOS performance on same hardware as I'm loathe to upgrade my iPad 4 lest I experience the same crashing issues I'm getting with the Air.
It seems, Apple does have some problems with their updates.
My once phantastic MacBook Air (August 2011 version) almost has been killed by the upgrade to Mavericks. All is buggy and sluggish, where before there hadn't been any issues at all. There are sheer endless reports with similar complaints: Constant fan noise, stutters in iTunes and so on.

I'll check, whether the same amount of complaints can be found about iPads Air/mini Retina crashing.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:26 PM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I say, mine has NEVER crashed - not once - in the four months I've owned it. I'd suggest wiping it, and then slowly adding content until you find what makes it crash. It may well be a rogue app.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

My iPad mini Retina has not crashed at all in the four months or so I've had it. My iPad 3 rarely crashed. Perhaps 3 or 4 times in the 21 months I had it. My iPhone 5 has only crashed 2 or 3 times in the 10 months I've had it.

Yes, Safari app crashes a lot on all my iThingies. It sucks on my Mac too! not as bad as the old CyberDog internet suite Apple introduced back in the mid 1990s though! That was horrible. Of course that was pre OS X when the Mac OS was getting very old and outdated.

Oh well, Mac Rumors is reporting that iOS 7.1 should be available any day now. let us hope that it brings resolution to several issues people have reported.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM   #26
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
It seems, Apple does have some problems with their updates.
My once phantastic MacBook Air (August 2011 version) almost has been killed by the upgrade to Mavericks. All is buggy and sluggish, where before there hadn't been any issues at all. There are sheer endless reports with similar complaints: Constant fan noise, stutters in iTunes and so on.

I'll check, whether the same amount of complaints can be found about iPads Air/mini Retina crashing.
Performance problems due to firmware updates on iOS devices is pretty common - the iPhone 3G had problems handling iOS 4, the iPod Touch (4th gen) was considerably laggier with iOS 5, etc. However, having lag issues and general glitchiness on the latest flagship (e.g. iPhone 5s, iPad Air) is not. It's understandable if iOS 7 is laggy and glitchy on older hardware but for these same issues to be present on the latest hardware suggests insufficient debugging or hardware. I think the theory is leaning heavily towards buggy memory management coupled with multitasking and the somewhat limited (at this point in time) 1GB RAM. I'm quite inclined to agree.

Quote:
Yes, Safari app crashes a lot on all my iThingies.
While I haven't had a single iOS device where Safari hasn't crashed, I've noticed it occurs with greater frequency on iOS 7 than with iOS 6. On iOS 6, it'll crash maybe twice a week. On iOS 7, it'll crash at least 3 times a day.

Quote:
Oh well, Mac Rumors is reporting that iOS 7.1 should be available any day now. let us hope that it brings resolution to several issues people have reported.
Yep. Here's to hoping iOS 7.1 will fix most of the issues.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
...I'd suggest wiping it, and then slowly adding content until you find what makes it crash. It may well be a rogue app.
I only have apps on this iPad, which I had been using before.
Not a single new one.
And mainly "the big ones", like Kindle or Navigon.
One never can be sure. But I'd be extremely surprised, if there's a rogue app amongst those.
I have to track my usage pattern. Maybe I'm too much accustomed with Windows because of my Surface Pro 2 and have to be a bit more careful about multitasking and such.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I only have apps on this iPad, which I had been using before.
Not a single new one.
And mainly "the big ones", like Kindle or Navigon.
One never can be sure. But I'd be extremely surprised, if there's a rogue app amongst those.
I have to track my usage pattern. Maybe I'm too much accustomed with Windows because of my Surface Pro 2 and have to be a bit more careful about multitasking and such.
I don't think the Kindle App's to blame. That's the main app I use on my iPad, and it (the app, that is) has never caused any problems.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

I've had the Kindle app itself crash a time or two, but it never caused the mini or my other iThingies to crash. Safari crashed my iPhone 5 last Sunday and it took a while to get it to reset. But no crashes like that on the mini yet. I'm still thinking that nearly 500 apps, many of which will run in the background or at least wake up and phone home periodically, is more than any tablet should have. To each their own of course, but I cannot imagine even being able to run 500 apps one time each per month! Just not enough time in my schedule. Do the math. If one ran each of 500 apps for 5 minutes once a month, then one would need to be on their iPad for nearly 41 hours and 40 minutes. In my case there would be a lot of lonely, neglected apps sitting around forever wishing someone would run them.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I've had the Kindle app itself crash a time or two, but it never caused the mini or my other iThingies to crash. Safari crashed my iPhone 5 last Sunday and it took a while to get it to reset. But no crashes like that on the mini yet. I'm still thinking that nearly 500 apps, many of which will run in the background or at least wake up and phone home periodically, is more than any tablet should have. To each their own of course, but I cannot imagine even being able to run 500 apps one time each per month! Just not enough time in my schedule. Do the math. If one ran each of 500 apps for 5 minutes once a month, then one would need to be on their iPad for nearly 41 hours and 40 minutes. In my case there would be a lot of lonely, neglected apps sitting around forever wishing someone would run them.
It depends, how "sexy" a gadget is for me.
If it's in my top 3 list, 41 hours per month is "nothing".
My trips on the train typically last 3 to 5 hours (single direction). So this alone easily adds up to 30 to 60 hours per month, most of it spent on some gadget(s).
Add another 2 hours in the evening in hotels or at home on the couch...
I'm using my Surface Pro 2 easily 6 hours per day. And I would use it way more intensively, if I'd have more office stuff to manage.

Just a brief overview:
* 40 standalone books. I could have them in Kindle, Nook or Kobo as well. But I bought them at some stage, so I'm going to read them (some day).
* 171 games. May seem a lot. But I've got way (5 times?) more on my Nvidia Shield. I admit it: I'm collecting, not actually playing.
* 21 productivity app. Mindmaps, GTD and so on.
* 33 news apps. I like to read lots of newspapers, at least the headlines and some articles.
*8 Navigation apps. I'm frequently in new places and like to see some tourist attractions or dine in the right restaurants.
So, the only category where I've got more than 2 or 3 dozens of apps, are games.
Of course I could download every single app "on demand". On the fly via 3G, even when on the train.
But why should I?
Why buy (or, from Apple's perspective: Offer) a 128GB tablet and then not use the storage?
And, again: I'm a collector. I want to scroll through my 200 games, 900 Kindle Books, 300 Nook Books and so on and play or read something, I haven't touched in months.
I don't want to stick to the top 10 or the "5 most likely to play".

And:
iPad, as I had forgotten but see now again, is so stripped down in its possibilities. I can't change fonts in my Emails and other simple tasks.
When I'm that limited in my options, at least the core capabilities should work flawlessly: "There's an app for that". And not "there would be an app, but I don't recommend having more than 10 at a time on your tablet".

Last edited by mgmueller; 03-06-2014 at 12:48 PM.