Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Kindle makes EW's List of 25 Top Tech

While certainly not the definitive source for tech news, Entertainment Weekly put up their list of 25 Top Tech Innovations and the Amazon Kindle made the cut at number 23.

Perhaps this shows Kindle is gaining some market acceptance? Either that or it's a paid placement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ewkindle.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	14435  
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
EW has no idea what they are on about. The Kindle is not innovative. It's just a new take on an already existing idea. Bookeen, iRex, & Sony already beat Amazon to the punch as far as releasing an eink based device. In fact, if I was to give an award for the top tech devices, it would be to PVI for the eink screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
JSWolf, in one aspect you are right: the Kindle per se isn't innovative. It's all been there before... the E Ink display (Sony) and the wireless capabilities (iRex). But in another way, it's still ground-breaking and ahead of the pack: Amazon keeps pushing it, and no other company has managed to generate so much buzz about e-books in recent months.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I posted about this a couple of weeks ago.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Sorry. I've been offline for most of the last couple of weeks and consequently declared email and forum bankruptcy. I did a search on "entertainment weekly" before I posted and nothing came up.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Arghhh!! It says "book-length texts" as if the book/object were what matters. I think in terms of book/content.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
JSWolf, in one aspect you are right: the Kindle per se isn't innovative. It's all been there before... the E Ink display (Sony) and the wireless capabilities (iRex). But in another way, it's still ground-breaking and ahead of the pack: Amazon keeps pushing it, and no other company has managed to generate so much buzz about e-books in recent months.
I disagree. There's a huge difference between Wi-Fi, and getting EVDO without subscription and full access to Amazon.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

PVI!?!?!?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
EW has no idea what they are on about. The Kindle is not innovative. It's just a new take on an already existing idea. Bookeen, iRex, & Sony already beat Amazon to the punch as far as releasing an eink based device. In fact, if I was to give an award for the top tech devices, it would be to PVI for the eink screen.
The Kindle is innovative. It made buying and delivering ebooks to a device seamless and simple. Saying the Kindle is not innovative is like saying the ipod is not innovative. I mean there were mp3 players before that.

If you are going to go that route, why PVI? Why not E Ink Corp.? I mean they actually make the stuff.
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef View Post
The Kindle is innovative. It made buying and delivering ebooks to a device seamless and simple. Saying the Kindle is not innovative is like saying the ipod is not innovative. I mean there were mp3 players before that.

If you are going to go that route, why PVI? Why not E Ink Corp.? I mean they actually make the stuff.
PVI is the one making the stuff.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
chef
Enthusiast
chef is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
PVI is the one making the stuff.

Dale

No, I am pretty sure E Ink Corp. is making it then to sending it to PVI. If that's not the case, I must be sadly mistaken. What the hell does E Ink Corp. do then?
chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #11
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:

No, I am pretty sure E Ink Corp. is making it then to sending it to PVI. If that's not the case, I must be sadly mistaken. What the hell does E Ink Corp. do then?
E Ink invents it. PVI manufacturers it.

These kinds of lists are always going to cause debate of what should or shouldn't be included. It looks more like a list of products that made a particular product category popular rather than the first to introduce a particular technology. I guess the fun is in the resulting debate?

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 07-17-2008 at 06:08 PM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

PVI is in China, e-Ink is in the US. Where do you really think the manufacturing is?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
PVI is in China, e-Ink is in the US. Where do you really think the manufacturing is?

Dale
Actually Taiwan. But nothing to start a war over.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:54 PM   #14
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Actually Taiwan. But nothing to start a war over.
Dang, you beat me to it!
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
E Ink invents it. PVI manufacturers it.

These kinds of lists are always going to cause debate of what should or shouldn't be included. It looks more like a list of products that made a particular product category popular rather than the first to introduce a particular technology. I guess the fun is in the resulting debate?
Yes, it's all about popularity, it's not about innovation...
If else, why Playstation 2 (2!!!!!) and not Intellivision?
Why iPod (whose innovation was only in the DRM) and not Rio?

But most of all, why poliphonic ringtones and not the cellphone itself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's all about what's "cool".
And without a Apple eInk reader in the markety, the "coolest" is the Kindle.

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!, kindle, news