Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 AM   #16
sweevo
Groupie
sweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animalssweevo is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle Touch
Here, I found it:

"Here's some remarkable news: a judge in a New Orleans-based 5th Circuit Appeals Court has ruled that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act's ban on breaking DRM only applies if you break DRM in order to violate copyright law. This is a complete reversal of earlier rulings across the country (and completely opposite to the approach that the US Trade Representative has demanded from America's trading partners). In the traditional view, DRM is absolutely protected, so that no one is allowed to break it except the DRM maker. In other words, a film-maker isn't allowed to take the BluRay DRM off her own movie, a video game programmer can't take the iPad DRM off her own game, and an audiobook author can't take the DRM off his own Audible book.
So this ruling is pretty interesting news, as it constitutes a circuit split with pretty much the rest of the nation's courts, which is often a precursor to a Supreme Court challenge. What's more, the defendants here are General Electric, not hackers in black t-shirts or sketchy offshore Xbox-modchip vendors (theoretically the law shouldn't care if the defendant is a hobo or a billionaire, but in practice, billionaires usually get better precedents, and not just because they can afford better lawyers).

It's up to the plaintiff, MGE, to appeal to the Supremes, but even if they don't, it's only a matter of time until there are new cases in the Fifth Circuit (or other circuits that follow its lead) that lead to highest court handing down some new law on this. Let's hope they see the sense of Judge Garza: "Merely bypassing a technological protection that restricts a user from viewing or using a work is insufficient to trigger the (Digital Millennium Copyright Act's) anti-circumvention provision."

Source: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/07/25...ge-says-y.html

Original article: http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/07/23/29099.htm
sweevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #17
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
The news report is misleading.

The decision in question was about bypassing the use of a dongle in order to continue to use an unencrypted computer program. The court found that the dongle was not designed to protect against copying, and furthermore that no copying was performed. Therefore, the court ruled that the DMCA's prohibition against bypassing copy-protection technology in order to illegally copy copyrighted material didn't apply to that case.

The court also found that no evidence was presented that the defendant was even responsible for bypassing the dongle.

Rulings by the 5th Circuit Court only cover Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi. Unless you're in one of those states, their rulings don't directly affect you anyway.

Here is the ruling, from "the horse's mouth": http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions...21-CV0.wpd.pdf

In particular (emphasis added):
Quote:
MGE has not shown that bypassing its dongle infringes a right protected by the Copyright Act. MGE’s dongle merely prevents initial access to the software. If no dongle is detected, the software program will not complete the start-up process. However, even if a dongle is present, it does not prevent the literal code or text of MGE’s copyrighted computer software from being freely read and copied once that access is obtained; there is no encryption or other form of protection on the software itself to prevent copyright violations. Because the dongle does not protect against copyright violations, the mere fact that the dongle itself is circumvented does not give rise to a circumvention violation within the meaning of the DMCA.
Quote:
MGE cites no evidence that a GE/PMI employee or representative was responsible for altering the Pacret and Muguet software such that a dongle was not required to use the software. Without proving GE/PMI actually circumvented the technology (as opposed to using technology already circumvented), MGE does not present a valid DMCA claim.
Quote:
Because the DMCA does not apply to mere use of a copyrighted work, and because MGE has not shown that GE/PMI circumvented MGE’s software protections in violation of the DMCA, the district court did not err in granting GE/PMI’s Rule 50(a) motion dismissing MGE’s DMCA claim.
I don't see how you can read into that ruling that you now have a right to break DRM on e-books for "format shifting" (the usual legal term is space shifting).
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
RobBill75
RobBill75 began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor Touch
Question My New NookColor Touch

I'm new to eReading - I would appreciate - basic beginning steps - on how to read my kindle book (from my kindle pc program) on my new NookColor Touch eReader - HELP!
RobBill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Does the Nook Color allow you to download the Kindle for Andriod app? If not you will have to look up how to strip DRM on Google.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBill75 View Post
I'm new to eReading - I would appreciate - basic beginning steps - on how to read my kindle book (from my kindle pc program) on my new NookColor Touch eReader - HELP!
Hi,

I see you researched this before posting because you brought to life an old thread.

You will not be able to read your Kindle books on any other device besides Kindles. Since you are new to ebooks I assume you are not familiar with stripping the DRM from books. You may be tech savvy though and would consider "rooting" your NOOKcolor. You will then be able to install the Kindle for Android app. Then again, if you are technically capable of rooting your device you're more than capable of stripping the DRM from books. Or, perhaps you don't want to engage in that act for whatever reason.

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

Depending on the size of your Kindle book collection, you may want to consider returning the NOOKcolor and buying a Kindle if you don't want to root it or strip DRM from ebooks

Last edited by SCION; 12-07-2010 at 07:04 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM   #21
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Stripping the DRM is pretty easy (and easy to find info on if you use google) if it doesn't bother you to do it and it's not a topaz file. Rooting is easy as well and then at least you wouldn't have to strip the DRM from every book.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Yes you can read Amazon books through your web browser, beginning I believe in January. At this point you can read samples. Get "Kindle for the Web" -- See
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000579091
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #23
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Just verified that rooting Nook color method and I can confirm that it's safe and it works: Kindle books on NOOKcolor
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #24
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bic View Post
Yes you can read Amazon books through your web browser, beginning I believe in January. At this point you can read samples. Get "Kindle for the Web" -- See
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000579091
So this would lead me to believe you can read your Kindle books through the nook web browser...right?
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote