Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Getting Started with Embedded Development

I didn't want to mess up any of twobob's Buildroot threads with this newbie stuff, so a new thread to collect (maybe) useful links.

Translation:
If we don't have an application here that we need, we make it.
If we don't have a developer here that we need, we make one.

Remember: You can find most of what you need in the DIY-KeK resource pool.
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_refer...Subsection-B.2
http://knetconnect.com/KeK/KeK_refer...bsection-B.1.2

Bootstrapping the mind (try these in any old order):
EclipseCDT {1} Too old to be more than an overview of the process on Windows.

Last edited by knc1; 09-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Ah found it at last. You know when you just look WAY too hard for something...

Okay my two cents then:

Be prepared to read a lot of things.

You need an IDE (maybe) - since you are a beginner - first build a single hello world program on the command line - then get an IDE of your choice (I use Eclipse)
This will put a lot of power at your fingertips. Be prepared to read a lot of things.

http://drpbox.knetconnect.com/KeK/ Has all manner of awesome tools including one of these

You need a TC (Toolchain) - This helpful thing prevents you having to cross compile half of the workload for every build (read: it saves you 40 mins over Cross Tools NG)

I recommend the CS (Code Sourcery) 2008q1 2007q3 now since it is the last TC that compiles natively (Runs applications without replacing the onboard system libraries) for the Kindle 3 - other kindles will require a later chain for example...

FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS ON THIS THREAD and you wont go far wrong.

I have several TC's installed for the purposes of testing following this excellent - painless - method. (PICTURE ENC.)

well... That's enough to get you started.

There are several threads on Things That Go Wrong - I expand on this below I believe

Get those simple steps working and you are a big leap closer.

Thanks mate for the great resources, hope these tips helps someone one day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_051.png
Views:	261
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	91736  

Last edited by twobob; 09-28-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: made it useful.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Spoiler:
Jeebers Windows. I had forgotten it existed. Sigh.

Okay so OT. let me add that there is a big list of stuff that can be built with the 2006q3 TC on the buildroot thread. that will prevent you asking "Can I build X? with the native TC?"

If it is on that list then Yes you can, just have a look at the instructions or if they are too scary maybe ask for a version that can be run to be posted.

next all the things that can be currently built using the 2006q3 TC are being *slowly* build-tested against each of the http://sourcery.mentor.com/public/gn...linux-gnueabi/ Toolchains in reverse order. I.E. From "Will build with 2011.09" -say- back to "Compiles okay with 2008q3"

This is a highly thankless task further complicated by actual issues surrounding each dependant app. Sufficed to say it is rumbling on.
(arm 2009q1 QT build rumbles by as I type)

Knc has put together an excellent selection of GETTING STARTED guides that really are very important, illuminating and honestly *required* reading.

The simple implementation of using the shortnamed CS TC's alone is worth it's weight in gold and I use it everyday. Give the Kek a solid cruise and thank your lucky stars you are at least programming for a known set of hardware, however badly supported. Life could be worse. And good luck!

Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions after you've checked on the wiki, the threads and google. I've asked an awful lot of stupid questions now just so the answers will be here when you search for them (also the answers were pretty handy too now I think about it )

Please share what you did when you do something cool. I will be the first to give it a "Swoot!" and mangle it in to my registers.

The kindle is a SERIOUSLY underdeveloped platform, no really, we need developers. Insert picture of uncle Sam pointing finger here.

Thanks for being involved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uncle_sam_pointing_finger.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	91737  

Last edited by twobob; 09-02-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
twobob

Shameless Bump