Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #16
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubemike99 View Post
is it possible to remove the other fonts (not the 6 default and not user added)
Yes, but it requires usbnetwork:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...24#post2358224

^ That actually hides the fonts. Not sure if removing them is advisable.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Much obliged. Now if could only get those monospace fonts for my programming books...
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #18
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Much obliged. Now if could only get those monospace fonts for my programming books...
Depends on what you want to do. The PW comes with a mono-spaced font built in. No need to even install any fonts.

All you need to do is put the monospaced sections into <code> .. </code> blocks in your html inside the book. That can be inside epub, kf8, or plain html. Convert that epub/html into mobi or azw3, or tweak a azw3 in calibre. If you need more fancy things / different fonts, you need to use css stylesheets and call for a specific font by name that you already installed or embed into the book.

This html:
Code:
<html><head><title>Test</title></head><body>
<h1 align=center>Testing &lt;code&gt;</h1>
<p align=justify>Normal font: <code>monospaced</code>. Normal again.</p>
<p align=left><code> 0123456789 ABCDEFGHIJ this is all monospaced<br>new line.</code></p>
</body></html>
Drag that into into calibre, it will create a book of type zip. Convert that book from zip to mobi (I chose old mobi), and send it to your PW. It will come out like this (click on image to enlarge screenshot from PW):

Click image for larger version

Name:	monospace.png
Views:	179
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	101010
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
...The PW comes with a mono-spaced font built in. No need to even install any fonts.

All you need to do is put the monospaced sections into <code> .. </code> blocks in your html inside the book. ...
K to you DuckieTigger.

This also works nicely on a Kindle Keyboard. With the Droid_Sans Mono font installed in the font hack it gives:

Name:	Droid_Sans_Mono screen_shot-20245.gif
Views:	321
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	101019
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoP View Post
K to you DuckieTigger.

This also works nicely on a Kindle Keyboard. With the Droid_Sans Mono font installed in the font hack it gives:
Attachment 101019
Now that is interesting. That is definitely a different mono font. I assume it does not work without having Droid Sans Mono on the KK? I will have a look at the fonts that are on the PW. Changing my sample book to use Droid Sans Mono did only change the "normal" part of it - the monospaced part is still the fall-back font for mono.

And just extracted all the fonts from PW to take a look, and it uses: KindleBlackboxRegular.ttf

Have to keep looking on how to change the default mono font. But then the one on the PW does look quite nice, and comes in regular, bold, italic and bold-italic.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
... I assume it does not work without having Droid Sans Mono on the KK?...
It still works. I did not try on my device but at least in Click image for larger version

Name:	v2.751.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	101025 it gives:

Name:	Kindle Previewer 2.751.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	101024

Last edited by PoP; 02-10-2013 at 03:24 PM.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #22
cubemike99
Enthusiast
cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cubemike99 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Oh guys, I think you misunderstood me. I have monospaced font wherever I need it. The question was whether I'm able to change the default monospace font with he USE_ALT_FONTS hack.
cubemike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Oh guys, I think you misunderstood me. I have monospaced font wherever I need it. The question was whether I'm able to change the default monospace font with he USE_ALT_FONTS hack.
Aehm, no. I tried a few things to no avail. That leaves only to install your monospaced font via USE_ALT_FONTS and calling it directly by name, rather than font-family. But that would require of editing your books, possibly only the stylesheets in them.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #24
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
Quote:
I was able to change the default monospace font- KindleBlackboxC- to another- DejaVu Sans Mono. If you're using /etc/fonts/local.conf, try adding this:
Code:
  <match target="pattern">
    <test qual="any" name="family"><string>KindleBlackboxC</string></test>
    <edit name="family" mode="assign"><string>DejaVu Sans Mono</string></edit>
  </match>
Replace DejaVu Sans Mono with your preferred monospace font.

Last edited by JimmyR; 02-21-2013 at 04:31 PM.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote