Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which time period should we use for nominations this month?
BCE 0 0%
1-1000 1 11.11%
1001-1500 1 11.11%
1501-1800 1 11.11%
1801-1900 3 33.33%
1901-1920 2 22.22%
1921-1940 2 22.22%
1941-1960 1 11.11%
1961-1980 1 11.11%
1981-2000 4 44.44%
2001-Present 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012, 09:56 AM   #31
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Nominations are updated at the bottom of the first post through post 30 and we now have one fully nominated work.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #32
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll fourth The Rings of Saturn.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #33
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I will third In The Pond by Ha Jin.

I will third Godric by Frederick Buechner
Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #34
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
For my final choice, I'll fourth Godric by Frederick Buechner
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #35
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Happy to second Remains of the Day.
Just remember - the butler did it.
Oh no, you spoiled it for us!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
missed voting on the period, want to make sure I do not miss the nominations! So, to begin with I'm going to second The Rings of Saturn.

I'd like to nominate Vikram Seth's A suitable boy (first published in 1993) - the blurb from Goodreads:

Quote:
Vikram Seth's novel is, at its core, a love story: Lata and her mother, Mrs. Rupa Mehra, are both trying to find -- through love or through exacting maternal appraisal -- a suitable boy for Lata to marry. Set in the early 1950s, in an India newly independent and struggling through a time of crisis, A Suitable Boy takes us into the richly imagined world of four large extended families and spins a compulsively readable tale of their lives and loves. A sweeping panoramic portrait of a complex, multi ethnic society in flux, A Suitable Boy remains the story of ordinary people caught up in a web of love and ambition, humor and sadness, prejudice and reconciliation, the most delicate social etiquette and the most appalling violence.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Nominations are updated at the bottom of the first post through post 36 and we now have two fully nominated works.

paola, I don't have any more nominations left myself but if I did I'd definitely second A Suitable Boy.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have one nomination left and I'll use it on A Suitable Boy.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #39
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Happy to second Remains of the Day.
Just remember - the butler did it.
Bah, Remains of the Day has been ruined , and the other nominated book so far isn't available as an ebook.

I'll third ? A Suitable Boy.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM   #40
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Hotel Du Lac & A Suitable Boy are the only other two books in which I'm interested besides Neuromancer, but neither of them are available as ebooks; at least not here in the US.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Hotel Du Lac & A Suitable Boy are the only other two books in which I'm interested besides Neuromancer, but neither of them are available as ebooks; at least not here in the US.
I think it's a function of time period. 1981 to 2001 is solidly backlist; not current, not classic, for the most part, so no push to offer the bulk of the books digitally. At least that's my take on it.

Between agency pricing and recent elibrary offerings, I'm reading a lot more DTBs again, so it makes no nevermind to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #42
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

So Neuromancer is the only one that does not really appeal to me. Though if it wins I will give it a go. I have do not let ebook availability influence my choices for the MR Literary Club. Given the overall nature of literary fiction, and many of the categories that would just be too limiting.

I wish I had a few more nominations to spread around.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #43
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I think it's a function of time period. 1981 to 2001 is solidly backlist; not current, not classic, for the most part, so no push to offer the bulk of the books digitally. At least that's my take on it.

Between agency pricing and recent elibrary offerings, I'm reading a lot more DTBs again, so it makes no nevermind to me.
I would be fine if the DTB wasn't $15!

I might be able to get the one copy of either one of them from the library, if they are still available when the time comes. Hotel Du Lac I can place on hold today, but A Suitable Boy would have to borrowed from another branch.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #44
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'd like to use my first nomination for The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. One of his non sci-fi books (which I prefer), and one of the best books I have ever read, at least at the time.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I'd like to use my first nomination for The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks. One of his non sci-fi books (which I prefer), and one of the best books I have ever read, at least at the time.
I'd second, but I'm out of ammo. I purposely held a nomination back, but it's gone now.