Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 PM   #16
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
e-ink IS not durable. if you traveling much by motorbike (like me), it would definitely failed under a month.
fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I recently got a droid x. I like to read on it, but my 505 is still my preferred reading experience. I use the droid for stopgap reading, when my sony is not in my hands. I always have my phone. I also like it when it's night and I don't have a light source available.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrogenesis View Post
e-ink IS not durable. if you traveling much by motorbike (like me), it would definitely failed under a month.
Sorry to disagree, but I've carried eInk devices in my backpack on my motorbike for years, with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
HarmonS
Enthusiast
HarmonS began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
e-ink or what?

I bought my first (and only so far but that will change shortly) e-ink reader, a Sony 505, back over a year ago because I wanted to try the e-ink technology. I have had many, many, many computers for many years, starting back in about 1984. I have never found any screen that I could stand reading long texts on before I got my e-ink reader. And I mean I have tried a lot of different very high quality screens and video cards, laptops, etc. I have a HTC Hero smartphone which has a nice little screen, but I can't imagine reading a novel on it. I have never been able to stand reading on even the best quality computer screen long enough to read a novel.
But I am very happy to say that my Sony 505 is very, very readable, have read several novels on it without tiring my eyes, and now am going to invest in a Sony 950. I wish it ran on Android and am thinking maybe I can hack it to do so.
HarmonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
Nice.
I was wondering how many of you also own laptops in addition to the smartphone and E-Ink device and Why ?

This is kind of off topic, but will help me make a few decisions

HTC Desire looks interesting btw Richey. Do you like it ?
I have a laptop, a Toshiba running Debian Linux, and also an Asus EEEPC netbook running Debian Linux. As I stated in my other post, I don't like reading anything very long on computer or laptop screens, it bothers my eyes too much. I also have a couple of desktop machines running linux and my wife has an iMac. She can read okay on the computer, never heard her complaining, but don't know if she would read a book on one.
Advert
Old 12-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #21
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarmonS View Post
I bought my first (and only so far but that will change shortly) e-ink reader, a Sony 505, back over a year ago because I wanted to try the e-ink technology. I have had many, many, many computers for many years, starting back in about 1984. I have never found any screen that I could stand reading long texts on before I got my e-ink reader. And I mean I have tried a lot of different very high quality screens and video cards, laptops, etc. I have a HTC Hero smartphone which has a nice little screen, but I can't imagine reading a novel on it. I have never been able to stand reading on even the best quality computer screen long enough to read a novel.
But I am very happy to say that my Sony 505 is very, very readable, have read several novels on it without tiring my eyes, and now am going to invest in a Sony 950. I wish it ran on Android and am thinking maybe I can hack it to do so.
check out notion Ink Adam it has a Pixel Qi screen so you can have a back lit reader as well as normal LCD and is supposed to be released with android 2.2.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #22
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
yeah, but I think $500 is a bit steep for the moment....I'll keep my book light with my nook, and stop gap reading on my droid x.

The Ink Adam does look cool though.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #23
fyrogenesis
Undead
fyrogenesis began at the beginning.

Device: Omnia, Kindle 3, Dell Streak, Asus TF101, iPad 2 3g 64gb, Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to disagree, but I've carried eInk devices in my backpack on my motorbike for years, with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
. it must be my bad luck then , or the roads here are very bumpy
fyrogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
HarmonS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
check out notion Ink Adam it has a Pixel Qi screen so you can have a back lit reader as well as normal LCD and is supposed to be released with android 2.2.
Nope, not interested in anything that doesn't have an e-ink screen. That's what my whole previous post was about, eh? I can't read long texts on any sort of screen except e-paper, e-ink. I don't think they should even be selling those other devices as "e-book readers", at least not without informing people that their screens are NOT e-ink.