Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Sleep and Power?

My Touch started acting a little differently...

I normally just slide the switch at the top to put it to sleep. The sleep screen comes up after several seconds. When I pick it up later, the sleep screen is still showing. I slide the switch at the top, and I'm back on the page I was reading. Perfect. It worked like this since I purchased it in Dec 2011.

Starting yesterday, I slide the switch, it goes to sleep. Later, the screen says "POWER OFF" in a black banner at the top. I slide the switch, and it starts up, taking a little while (going through the screen with the squares). It then goes to the home screen.

I want the previous behavior: never going to power off. I like the instant on. I wake it up several times a day, and I don't want the booting delay.

I was fooling around with the power options yesterday. My Power options are Sleep: 15 minutes, Power: 1 Hour. I've also tried 5 and 10.

I'm on 2.1.1 (I've had for about a week), and I have a Special Offers unit.

Any suggestions (other then a factory reset)?

Also, how are the power options supposed to work? Is sliding the switch quickly (to put it sleep) supposed to prevent the power off time out?

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you just want Sleep: 15 minutes, Power Off: Never!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think you just want Sleep: 15 minutes, Power Off: Never!
Where is the "Never!" option? There is no "Never!" option in the power pulldown on the "Sleep and Power" window.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Also, how are the power options supposed to work? Is sliding the switch quickly (to put it sleep) supposed to prevent the power off time out?
A quick slide to put it to sleep does not prevent the Touch from powering itself off later after the time limit set for 'Power off'.

PeterT has it right. If you set 'power off' to Never, the Touch will not later wake up and power itself off.

I find just using sleep mode gives the best battery performance.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Where is the "Never!" option? There is no "Never!" option in the power pulldown on the "Sleep and Power" window.
On my Touch, the sleep and power choices both have, 5, 10, 15, 30, 45 and 60 minutes. And at the end of the choices is "Never".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Quote:
PeterT has it right. If you set 'power off' to Never, the Touch will not later wake up and power itself off.
Where is this option? On the "Sleep & Power" screen I have:

1) SLEEP SCREEN, Time to Sleep:, with options of 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, and 60

2) POWER OFF SCREEN, Time to Power Off: with options of 5, 10, 15, 30, 45 and 60

3) COVER OPTIONS with nothing after it.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
On my Touch, the sleep and power choices both have, 5, 10, 15, 30, 45 and 60 minutes. And at the end of the choices is "Never".
Mine doesn't have a "Never" option.

Are you guys using 2.1.1?
Old 09-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

Where is this option? On the "Sleep & Power" screen I have:

1) SLEEP SCREEN, Time to Sleep:, with options of 5, 10, 15, 30, 45, and 60

2) POWER OFF SCREEN, Time to Power Off: with options of 5, 10, 15, 30, 45 and 60
On mine, "Never" is at the end of that list.
Quote:

3) COVER OPTIONS with nothing after it.
2.1.1 should have options here. But, you mention the "special offers". I wonder that has changed the options. I could see them forcing the cover options, but I would have thought the power options would still all be there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Is "Never" the default?

I guess it's time to do the FACTORY RESET shuffle.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No I am not using 2.1.1.... I have ALWAYS had the option of Never
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #11
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
The "with offers" (ad supported) version has no option to set power off to "never", and no book cover option for sleep and power off (the advertisements appear in place of the covers), so as you have a "special offers" unit, it's the purposed behavior. The firmware version is irrelevant.
However the hardware of the regular and "offers" readers are exactly the same, unless you sync the device via wifi or the desktop app, these limitations will not appear.
If you want to keep the option to set power off to "never", you have to avoid using wifi or connect to the desktop app. (now it's too late... factory reset and an another manual upgrade will be the cure)
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
The "with offers" (ad supported) version has no option to set power off to "never", and no book cover option for sleep and power off (the advertisements appear in place of the covers), so as you have a "special offers" unit, it's the purposed behavior. The firmware version is irrelevant.
To be blunt, that's just dumb.

Why would they do this? The Sleep screen shows the ads, so why inconvenience the user like this? Maybe so I don't buy an ad supported version in the future (never mind completely alienating a customer)?
Quote:
However the hardware of the regular and "offers" readers are exactly the same, unless you sync the device via wifi or the desktop app, these limitations will not appear.

If you want to keep the option to set power off to "never", you have to avoid using wifi or connect to the desktop app. (now it's too late... factory reset and an another manual upgrade will be the cure)
I didn't have this behavior with .17, 2.0.0, or 2.1.1 earlier, and I did have Wifi on and did connect to the desktop. I'm guessing that visiting the Sleep & Power settings triggered something.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
To be blunt, that's just dumb.
I'm not the one who can decide this :-)
Quote:
Why would they do this? The Sleep screen shows the ads, so why inconvenience the user like this?
The sleep screen shows an ad (you will see this when you put it in sleep), the power off shows another one (seen before you turn the device later on)
However it seems they could not find enough advertisement partners (or any), because the two screen alters the same 3 or 4 ads from the time I bought the reader...
Quote:
I didn't have this behavior with .17, 2.0.0, or 2.1.1 earlier, and I did have Wifi on and did connect to the desktop. I'm guessing that visiting the Sleep & Power settings triggered something.
That's strange, mine turned to "offered" from the moment I first connected to Kobo via Desktop. Later, when I upgraded manually, it also changed instantly when the wifi was turned on. It was way back at versions 1.9.16 and 1.9.17 but also happens with 2.1.1.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #14
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not the one who can decide this :-)
Well then, I'd like to speak to your supervisor.
Quote:
The sleep screen shows an ad (you will see this when you put it in sleep), the power off shows another one (seen before you turn the device later on) ...
Are they really that petty that they have to inconvenience the user to get that one extra ad view. I've been looking at the same limited number of ads for 8 months!

I'm going to boycott the advertisers for this gross injustice!

Why do I feel the urge to get some really cool sun glasses, or a fashionable satchel, scarf, and hat?

Old 09-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

That's strange, mine turned to "offered" from the moment I first connected...
I've always had the offers. I never had the problem with auto power off until the other day.