Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Cayleb
Elderly Bookworm
Cayleb began at the beginning.

Device: None
Good Evening from England

Well, it's evening here anyway.

I don't have an E-Book Reader yet and have joined this site in the hope of gaining enough information to enable me to make a proper choice as to the model I shall buy. This may not happen for some time as the more I learn about these machines the more I realise how complicated this field is and also that there are many advantages and many drawbacks with each make.

I beg in advance that you all take pity on my ignorance and understand that any silly questions I might ask are really desperate pleas for help and information.

Cayleb
Cayleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Hi Cayleb, and welcome to MR - there are no silly questions here! Having gone through a similar process as you a couple of months ago I can appreciate the difficulty of deciding. It's important to think about what your eventual reader must do, and what it would be nice if it did do.

Have you got a short-list yet?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Cayleb and welcome to MobileRead. I've had a Sony 505 for over two years and really like it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Helen Smith
Zealot
Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Helen Smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Hello, Cayleb

I'm in London. Welcome to the forum.
Helen
Helen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #5
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hi and welcome to MR!
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
Welcome to MobileRead!
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Hi Cayleb! Welcome to MobileRead forums. For what it's worth, I've been perfectly content with my Sony 505, with absolutely no thoughts that I could have chosen better!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:01 AM   #8
Cayleb
Elderly Bookworm
Cayleb began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi everybody and thank you all for your kind welcome to this forum by people from around the world.

I haven't yet got a shortlist yet, in fact I haven't even got to a stage where I understand all the properties of the various devices and the idea of many different systems from which to choose I find positively terrifying! But with the aid of those on here I have no doubt that I shall eventually arrive at a decision although it may not be for quite some time (the arrival of a new grand-son a couple of weeks ago is causing the usual turmoil in the family that these events always cause).

I don't know where in the world most of you are but London of course I know and I have visited Northern Virginia, spending a delightful three weeks tramping around your battlefields. Japan is about as far away from me as it is possible to get and it is unlikely that I shall ever visit your country.

Thank you again for all your responses.

Cayleb
Cayleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Cayled. And you're wise to seek advice before taking the plunge. So much depends on your location and exactly what you will use a reader for. Promise you, though -- there really is something out there for everyone. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayleb View Post
Japan is about as far away from me as it is possible to get and it is unlikely that I shall ever visit your country.
Cayleb
That's what I said too... about 20-odd years ago. Then SHAZZAAAM!!! I turned right at Pussan and here I was!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Hi Cayleb, you could do worse than have a look at the Mobileread wiki here, it's got a lot of information about different formats and different readers all in one place.

Keep us updated on your progress
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Caleb and welcome to MR.

Hard choice to make with more and more readers coming on the market. Best would be to make a list of what you want from it first. Then start looking at what is available. The wiki link is a good start.

Don't wait for the perfect reader - it doesn't exist and probably never will. And you just end up without one. And lets not forget that they are a consumer product, not meant to last the next 50 years. Yes, they are expensive atm but you will save some money if you are an avid reader and currently buy a lot of books.

For me a reader is the perfect choice when you travel a lot (including to work) as it saves you lugging around a book or when you are short of space for keeping all books.

I love my Sony PRS600 - I bought it before I knew all the different things I know now. And maybe I would make another choice today. But it got me started and with the help of MR I am utilising it.

So, have a look and take the plunge.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	3.5 KB
ID:	50590 to the forum, Cayleb.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Welcome, Cayleb.
How wise of you to join first and do your research. I just jumped in and have never looked back.

Congratulations on your new grandson.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote